Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Skinny boy....

Sadly he died last night, after about a month struggling with an abcess and a serious infection, he'd been having daily jabs, daily swabs, and some force feeding, as he hadnt eaten since october last year. When i say force feeding, hes been fed with a tube and syringe.
You would think all this would stress a snake beyond beleif, and i am sure it did, but he was so placid he never showed it, he never hissed at me, never struck and has never even looked at me funny, he fought the force feeding of course, and was surprisingly strong for his size, but he never regurged or got stroppy with me!
When i got him he was underweight, the previous owner only fed him on a chick every now and then, and assured me he was a terribly fussy feeder! As soon as i got home, i offered him a large rat, well his reaction scared thepoopoutta me!!! he just opened his mouth and lunged, missed the rat, nearly had me and waved his head about with his mouth wide open! funny to watch, not so funny if your on your knees with a rat infront of you with nowhere to go!!!!
Anyways, he ate like a deranged monster, put on loads of weight, i dont know how much but i would guess he was in the region of 5kg at his heaviest, could still see his ribs but he was healthy.
Last night, he weighed 2kg, he was looking so bad that i even had the converstaion about having him put down as he was struggling, but i didnt want to give up on him, he made the choice for me.

I never get emotional about the snakes, they are not really pets to me, but he is different, he was so personable that it was hard not to bond with him, for me anyway, and i could see its true that Boas are especially intelligent, he knew what i was doing, he knew me, as all my boas do, and he trusted me, (he would open his mouth for me to treat his abcess!!)
I am sad he has died, but i am also happy he isnt suffering anymore, and i am annoyed that i couldnt do more for him.
I dont know how old he is, so he could be in the 20's for all i know!!
Anyway, enough of a ramble from me!
Hope you are all well.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:51:04  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear your sad news. Like you say he's not suffering anymore. All credit to you for trying so hard. May he rest in peace.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  10:30:24  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry.. :/
At least he didin't suffer..
You did all you could..
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaboobers
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  10:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry for your loss - as a family we are just at the beginning of our snake keeping journey - but if our snake can give us as much pleasure as Skinny Boy did for you I will be really happy and clearly it goes without saying that you did an awful lot for him too. Thank you for sharing this with us xxxxx HUG xxxxx

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  11:11:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about Skinny Boy. He was truely a remarkable snake to endure all that he had to with such placidity (if thats a word).

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  11:21:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that mike, must be devastating. At least you can rest knowing that he isn't suffering anymore and that you did all that you possibly could do for him.

R.I.P Skinny Boy...

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  15:45:10  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that Mike , He is gorgeous as well but atleast he doesn't have to suffer in any more pain no more and he will be kicking back with the angels above!

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Mike!
Im really really sorry to hear this
*BIG HUGS*
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  16:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the messages, am sure hes off chasing some lady snakes somehwere or other, seemed to be quite a pasttime of his! that and eating!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Mike. R.I.P skinny boy

Where was the abscess? If you don't mind me asking

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to for your loss, i think he was lucky to have come into your family and you did your best :)

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear you lost him. but like you say atleast he is not suffering anymore. i wish people how buy any kind of pet would look in to it more befor just jumping in, and not looking after them right. glad to hear you got him and at least looked after him.

Edited by - dinner83 on 13/04/2010 18:05:42
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Mike, he was a nice looking animal.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skinny Boy is gorgeous and a real credit to you for all the hard work and determination you gave him.. many other owners would have just left him to die a long time ago and wouldnt have cared so much, RIP Skinny Boy xxx

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  19:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so sorry for your loss, like evryone else has said but i will still say it, at least he died a happy life. he was a beautiful snake from the pics

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  19:03:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry.. it's so sad when any animals dies to me though. At least he had a good life and a chance when he was with you and I'm sure he really appreicated that you did all that you could for him. I'm sure if there's a snakey heaven he would be having all the mice he could eat, lots of snake ladies and some styling gel for his moustache.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  06:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He does have a good 'tache doesn't he! I have lost quite a few snakes over the last couple of years, its always sad, but he is different, he had a personality which is rare with snakes.
His abcess was in his head, I don't know where exactly, but it showed through in his mouth, on his inner row of teeth, which he subsequesntly lost, it also pushed his right eye out, which he lost completely, ironically on the way to the vets to try and save it! Anymore than that I don't know, kate did the swabs from his mouth which showed quite a growth of pseudamonas, a nasty nasty bug, and a fungus, which I forget now, but basically everything that was growing well was normal, even the e.coli, but because he was run down his immune system couldn't fight it and it took over!

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  18:29:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that mike,seems alot of us seem to be losing snakes lately,including myself and it is surprising how attatched you get.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  05:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I have only just read this post as am not keeping up with things like I used to....and I wish I had read it sooner.

I am so sorry for the loss of Skinny Boy. You and he really fought for his life and it just shows your dedication as an owner and his trust in you that he hung on for so long. I can totally understand why you would have bonded with him more than with other snakes, and therefore why this loss hurts so much more.

I know there is grief in losing him and relief that he is no longer in pain, but you must try not to feel the anger about not being able to do more for him....you did so much more than a lot of other owners would have done - where they would have just thrown up their hands and left him to suffer and die, you fought for his life and so did he. I am just sorry he lost that battle.

I know that it will leave a gap in your life that you are not used to after losing a snake....as he will be missed. But he is at peace now and no longer suffering, which is all that is important. And you showed your true colours as an owner - one he was blessed to have.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  19:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that, he was a handsome snake! RIP

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  17:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss. You did your best at least he isnt suffering any more
R.I.P skinny boy

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: