New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  02:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tried to feed kasey again and was feeling quite optamistic about things as she's been so much more active the past few days. i put her in her feeding tub and offered her the fuzzy but she was so not interested so i left her covered over for a couple of hours. she still hadnt eaten it so i put her back in her viv with the mouse near her favourite hide on a bit of kitchen roll and it was still there this morning im thinking of maybe getting her sexed (my daughter decided she was a she coz her colouring is very pink and it sort of stuck) as i've read a few of the males on hear are off their food due to breeding season. i probably should have got the vet to check while we were there but it never crossed my mind

kaseysquidward

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  05:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am sorry Kasey is still not feeding. How long has she been off her food and is she losing weight? If you dont weigh her then it would be a very good idea to start, just do it before each feed and then you have an idea of what weight she is putting on or losing.

Have you checked out this topic - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

The fact that she has been active and is off her food could very well mean that 'she' is a 'he'. I have 2 males that are currently not feeding cos they are feeling horny . It is lovely seeing them out and about in their vivs, but I hate them not eating....even though I know it is a 'natural fast' and they will eat when they are ready.

Try some of the ideas suggested. Make sure all your temps are ok in her viv etc. Dont be tempted to try and feed her more often than usual to tempt her, just keep to her usual schedule. Then just wait and see what happens....easy to type and hard to do I know - this time last year was when I first got Kellog and he refused his first feed with me and continued to refuse to eat for 13 weeks (but then he is an adult). I was so worried I was doing something wrong, and it is then that I found this forum and they explained everything to me and kept me sane - they havent been able to get rid of me since !

Be patient and try not to worry - corns can go for a long time without food and as long as 'she' is behaving normally, is drinking and is active then hopefully it means that there is nothing wrong.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  05:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats what i was hoping.her behaviour is getting back to normal now after about three weeks of hiding without moving for days at a time and staying put when taken out to be handled. she's moving around a lot more now and has rediscovered her tongue. its been 6 weeks since she ate, i've had her to the vets where she was forcefed and treated incase she had internal parasites so i guess its just a waiting game now. temps are fine and im leaving her a week between feeding attempts, just my luck she'll turn out to be a he

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  09:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Force feeding a snake is the absolute last resort, its possibly the most stressful thing you can do to a snake, so unless she is horrendously skinny and on the verge of death, its not a good idea. Sexing a snake is best done by a decent shop, they will have more experience than most vets probably.
How old is the fella? how heavy and does it look like it has lost weight in the last 6 weeks?
To give you an idea, my male butter motley has not eaten since october, hes not lost much weight and is in breeding mode, so is not surprising.
On the other hand, one of my boas has also not eaten since october, and has lost nearly all his body weight and is ina terrible state,
Although different snakes, those are 2 extremes that are possible, and although just, they are both still alive and active.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid is in the fasting cycle at the moment, according to my chart he last ate on the 21st January, last year it was about the same time, he sheds at the same time so going by these figures I estimate he will shed around the 24th April and then start eating again. I will update you if the timings are correct.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  00:28:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Force feeding has a very high chance of killing the snake due to stress. Depending on the age and weight, snakes can last longer than you think without food.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

animal_crazy_lady
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a female corn and have the same problem and she has been sexed so she is defo a girl! is it just males that can stop eating during this time?? just looked at her feeding chart and she hasnt eaten since the 14th jan! but afew wks ago when i took her to the rep shop she weighed 25g, she now weighs 30g!! weird!
hope you get 'her' to feed soon! fingers crossed

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  21:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by animal_crazy_lady

i have a female corn and have the same problem and she has been sexed so she is defo a girl! is it just males that can stop eating during this time?? just looked at her feeding chart and she hasnt eaten since the 14th jan! but afew wks ago when i took her to the rep shop she weighed 25g, she now weighs 30g!! weird!
hope you get 'her' to feed soon! fingers crossed

I think its just males that go off their food in breeding season but im not 100% sure. Its mainly the older snakes anyway.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  08:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My female casper hasnt eatin for 4 weeks maybe it does affect females too. Hope you get her to eat soon

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page