New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  22:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi to everyone
going to buy my first corn snake on saturday all set up i have 60 pounds to get one any one have any ideas on witch one to get
cheers
neil

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  22:59:52  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
As for your question, i love amel stripes and reverse okeetees, but that's just me!
And normals of course! I have one of those..!
I don't know anything about the cost though, since i live in Greece (a whole different world)!
Check out this morph site..!
http://iansvivarium.com/cornsnakemorphs.php

Electra

Edited by - mozacchio on 07/04/2010 23:05:25
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  23:15:12  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For £60 there are a few morphs which you could likely get from a rep shop but if you know a breeder you may get a wider variety for a lower cost.

When you say you have a full set up ready did you get this from a shop as a starter set or buy the things seperately?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  23:19:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Have a look on the link suggested by mozacchio to get some ideas of what you like the look of and then wait and see what's for sale when you go to buy. You might see one on a website that you really like but it might not be as you expect in the flesh! You'll find it very difficult to choose if they have lots for sale.....good luck

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  23:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got the set up of a mate who had one and it died not shaw its to big is 2ft long by 12ins wide by 12ins high
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  23:55:45  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya n welcome to the forum

good luck on choosing ya 1st corn on sat i bet ur reli excited

on the subject of starter set ups... if its from a shop (not that were sayin all shops, but just most of m lol) they dont always supply everything u reli need.

as 4 what morph 2 get, there are loads of reli nice ones about... but the best thing to do is look at both hatchling and fully grown as most will change alot.
but also i would go in the rep shop look at what they have, have a handle of some of them n go with your instincts at the time (so 2 speak anyway)
although i do looove butter motleys, ghosts, lavenders, amel stripes r gawjus and all the rest of mine lol but i duno how much they are where you are (if they have them) but there just my favs :)
but anyway good luck :D

o warning.... corns are very addictive once u got one then the bug will hit u n ur want more lol.... we've all admitted were addicted lol... spec me ;)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  01:09:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilkath

got the set up of a mate who had one and it died not shaw its to big is 2ft long by 12ins wide by 12ins high

That should be ok for an 09 corn, but when i said what is the set up like i meant do you have, heat mat, thermostat, digital thermometers, hides water bowl, also with a 2 footer you would probably be best getting a smaller corn so probably an 09 and older and you would likely have to move them up pretty quickly. You may also want to get a few plants and things for cover for your corn.

Edit - As for the morph you pick i honestly wouldn't advise going on iansvivarium as good as a guide it is, its best not too get stuck on a certain morph that you really want because there are that many the likelyhood is that the shop you go to won't have them in and they may well be pretty pricey. It is best to go down to the shop and have a look at whay they have in and pick that way, especially with your first corn. Then you after that you could start having a look through at the different morphs and we may be able to give you an idea on price and wether you are likely to find one in a shop.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 08/04/2010 01:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  02:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Neil, it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am glad you have started finding out about corns before you get yours (even if it is only by a few days ) I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I echo what Danny has asked about your set-up. The size should be ok but you need to make sure that it has everything else it really needs, and often people dont realise what is necessary and are not told it either . I got sold a full set-up that had a light for heat with no guard, dial thermometer and only one hide. Again, as Danny said, you need to make sure you have the heatmat, stat (because heatmats cant be relied on to stay at right temp), digital thermometer (cos stats need to be monitored as they can go wrong and it is reassuring to know what the temp is in the warm end of the viv at substrate level), 2 hides and waterbowl (some substrate is a bonus).

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Danny is also right about not getting too 'tunnel visioned' about getting a certain morph....if you do then you can miss some real beauties that are out there but are not 'the morph you are looking for'. Iansviv is useful cos it gives you some idea as to what the adult snake will look like as they can change a lot when they grow. But sometimes you can see a certain morph on there and just fall in love with it....and the chances of getting it in your local reptile shop is fairly slim and so often the 'common' aneries, amels, ghosts, normals etc are overlooked. You just have to look at Kellog and Silvesta to see what you would have missed out on . Just go in and have a look and see which corn catches your eye - let fate take over rather than having a set plan !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  07:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info kellog very help full and yes the set up has everything you said been set up for a week now just been reading the post and the fact sheets to make shaw i have everything right have not picked a snake out i am just going the pet shop and have a look and pick one i like thanks to all
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:04:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums. It's great to hear you have got everything set up and are doing your research first. I bet you are so excited. I am going to get a new corn once we come off holiday and keep looking in the local rep shops for ideas on what to get next. I just cannot decide so I just know I'm going to end up wanting more than one.
I would say go on Ians Viv so you have an idea of how much the colours can change from hatchling to adult. look at the photos section on here so you can see other peoples snakes as they can vary quite a bit. Then when you go to the shop you will have a general idea. Then just have a handle and see what you fall in love with.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  14:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
make sure that you get the feeding and shedding records for whichever snake you do get
look forwards to seeing pics of the new arrival

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

419 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  16:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi & welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Crested Gecko: Keiko
2.1.0 Corn Snakes: Picollo, Morph, Sookie
0.1.0 Royal Python: Luna
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake: Chilli
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos: Cleo, Echo, Tiffin, Roley, Scarlett, Ludwig
1.0.0 Understanding Boyfriend: Nick

www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  22:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the mad house, remember pics are essential on here lol asap

paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  08:48:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not managed to get on here for a little while so belated heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000