Hi all from S. Wales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  09:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all I've just found this forum and from what i've read so far on here looks like a nice friendly and helpfull place. I've just got my first corn snake she is about 11months old (thats what i was told by reptile shop) and her name is Zoey. My kids absolutley adore her but my missus is a little weiry. I also have tropical fish, ferrets and a dog and 3 kids lol. Anyway i hope to learn all i need to know from you guys and gals to make Zoey a happy snake. I wasn't told about the one week rule and have only just come across it! She was due feeding the day i had her and the lady in the shop said leave her a day to settle in then feed her, Yesterday i gave her a fuzzy and she ate it straight away. She swallowed it pretty fast so i'm wondering if next time she feeds in a weeks time should i up it to 2 fuzzy's? Anyway i will read more on the forum when i get chance and hopefully i'll find lots of answers. Thanks again guys and gals
Heres some pics of Zoey.

Without a dog some people would never go for a walk!

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  09:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome!
Nice looking snake you have here!
Everyone here is Really Friendly!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  11:04:52  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Kristian and welcome to the forum. Your first impressions are right and the guys here are great. No question is deemed too silly. Questions are answered despite probably having been asked many times before. If you have a query then the best place to start is the search function. You will likely find the answer to what you need as well as learn information you didnt know you needed.
There is a feeding guide on here somewhere that will help you decide whether to put Zoey onto to fuzzies. It crops up quite a bit so you should be able to find it on a search. How heavy is she? Remember to leave Zoey alone for a couple of days after feeding to allow her to digest her dinner otherwise you may find she regurges. Mousey puke - not nice.
Zoey is a gorgeous snake. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  11:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Nice snakie you got there!
Ain't normals so beautiful!?
(i've got one, named Spaghettino! )
As for the fuzzies, here is a rough guide:

Snake (4 -15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5-3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16-23g) = 2 pinkies (3-4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (24-30g) = small fuzzy (3-6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (30-50g) = fuzzy (7-9g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (51-90g) = fluff/hoppers (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (91-170g) = Small Adult/Weaned (13-18g) - feed every 7 days
Snake (170g+) = Large (19-25g) - feed every 7 to x days
Snake (170+) = X large (35 +) - feed every 10 to x days

Hope i helped,
Electra
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  12:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum.
The shop may have had her on a single fuzzy as a staple diet, it keeps their costs down.
How much of a lump was left after feeding her?
Either way, I'd keep her on the single fuzzys for a couple/few weeks until you get to follow her feeding habits a bit better and can get a bit better judgement on how lumpy she is after feeding.

/edit

The food guide is only a rough guide.
I can honestly say that I've never weighed any of my food items, I personally don't think it's accurate enough as there are a huge amount of variables that are near impossible to include.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 05/04/2010 12:18:10
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  12:30:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welcome to the forum.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  12:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
Zoey is adorable
i agree with kehhlyr, give her a few more feeds on just one fuzzy and then take it from there, dont follow the feeding guide religiously please...it is a rough guide and only a general guide.. two of mine according to that guide should be on small mice but they are not ready and wont be for a little while,
gotta say Zoey looks just like my mont

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome
i'm sure you'll enjoy it here :)

Zoey looks lovely!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum great lookin little corn you got there everyone has filled you with alot of info.

paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  15:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hia big welcome to the forum! im in south wales to. beautiful snake looks alot like my 11month old boy Itza i got last sunday?. did you get zoey from hiss and furs in pontypridd?
this is a great place to find out every thing you need!

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  18:54:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be for all things snake related.
Zoey is a pretty girl. Once your wife realises what a super, silky hand massage snakes give she'll soon come round ;)

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  19:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the replies and thanks for the welcome. Yes JRDN i did get her from Hiss n furs pontypridd its about 30mins away from me but really helpfull. Heres a pic my wife edited.

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  20:38:25  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you have Itza's sister :D

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  21:11:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azzheasman

you have Itza's sister :D

Tis actually a possibility.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  21:15:41  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol i was there when we got Itza (me and jordan are housemates) and she said they were from the same clutch :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Kristian, it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know you werent told about the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!) and I am not too surprised. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. It may be worth doing that week from now, to allow Zoey to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about her not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are.

As far as size of food is concerned both Kehhlyr and HannahB are right, the guide is only a rough guide although some of us do find it useful to give us some idea of what we are doing - but only when it is used in conjunction with common sense. The main rule regarding feeding is that the 'dinner's' girth is 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth, no bigger....and, as Kehhlyr mentioned, you can work out if Zoey needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once she has eaten her 'dinner'. Their suggestions are good ones, to keep her on what she is on now while she settles in and then move her up to the 2 fuzzies in a few weeks.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got Zoey I hope you got as much info about her as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

You have already complied with the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! What fantastic pics and what a beautiful snake! I can see why you fell in love with her. Wouldnt is be a coincidence if she was Itza's sister!!!

Give your OH time, she will come around. Have had a friend who would only come in room when vivs were covered up and will now happily sit next to me when I have Kellog out....next move is to get her to hold Kellog herself. But it is a slow process and the thing to do is not to pressure her, let Zoey work her charms and I am sure it wont be long until the whole family are under her spell !

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zoey is a looker, very pretty
welcome aboard.

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRDN

hia big welcome to the forum! im in south wales to. beautiful snake looks alot like my 11month old boy Itza i got last sunday?. did you get zoey from hiss and furs in pontypridd?
this is a great place to find out every thing you need!

Thanks for all the replies, i'll try and get a pic of her head in the next couple of days she has a marking on her head which looks like a gold bow. I think she was one of 2 left in the shop.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  09:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there were 2 left after i picked Itza. Hes got a fantastic nature very laid back just pokes his head out of the substrate and looks around! very cute lol

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:31:59  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Zoey is lovely!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  08:46:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not managed to get on here for a little while so belated heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000