shedding question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mines a quick question on shedding issues.
After my little episode the other day with the heat mat being to hot and nearly cooking him it appears that Sid is going into a shed as his eyes have gone blue and ive noticed a that the blue has intensified over the last few days, ive felt under his belly and in places there are a few rough patches no obivious burn marks though.
When ive had him out of his viv he seems active enough.
My question is what is the snakes general activity do they go into a quiet period as ive noticed Sids very quiet and not venturing out into his viv prefering to spend most of his time under his log in the cooler side of the viv coiled up.
Is this normal behaviour this will be his first shed with me so ive yet to expeirence the shedding process so im not sure what to look for.
If needs be I can take some photos to show if required.
I there anything else I need to do to assist Sids shedding ?

thanks
Nick

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:12:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the world of snake keeping lol. Yes your snake will go into a period of inactivity when he goes into shed. Normally they hide away when "in blue" as they are virtually blind and feel very vulnerable. Normally they go pale or blue as its called and then clear again a few days later. The actual shed will happen after this so when you see him go clear again get ready for your first shed. Normally corns go through shedding with no need for help but if you are concerned you can add an extra water bowl and place it on top of the heat mat for extra humidity.

cheers

steve
edit sp

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 02/04/2010 12:12:42
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as far as im aware, alot of snakes do become a bit more timid when they're about to shed - their eyes turning blue means they're effectively blind for a few days, so in the wild theyde stay hidden during this time to avoid a predator sneaking up on them!
Expect his eyes to turn blue for a few days and then they'll clear up and go back to normal! Then he should shed 3 or 4 days after they've cleared! This threw me the first time Blaze shed...i thought his eyes clearing up meant he should've shed!
Only other advice i can offer is maybe put his water bowl slightly over the heat matt, just once his eyes are blue. The slight increase in humidity can help some snakes shed!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies back was little worried to say the least,couple of quick questions is it safe for me to handle Sid whilst his eyes are blue as I dont want to skit him out,frighten him and stress him out.
I also read on the forum about giving him a tepid bath with olive oil will this be of any benefit to him
Thanks
Nick
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  16:54:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The olive oil bath is for mites i believe.

You can handle him but i wouldn't advise it as he could become stressed as he will be partially blind.

I personally don't handle or feed any of my snakes from when they go blue till when they shed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am with Danny on this. I dont handle or feed either of my corns between the point when they go blue and they shed. They hide away because they cant see properly and to then be got out and handled or have food around them that they cant see properly must cause them some stress....in my opinion.

Firstly the skin and eyes go dull and 'blue' for a few days and they disappear, then - as has been said - everything seems to clear up and it looks as though they are back to normal, they may even behave normally as well....but I think that even during this time their vision is not clear. After about 3 to 5 days you need to watch out for signs of Sid rubbing his head against the side of the viv, his hide, branches or rocks....that is the sign that he is going to shed, and when it happens it tends to happen quickly once is has started.

As this is his first shed with you, then you probably only need to add the extra water bowl onto his heatmat (dont just move his normal one as he wont like drinking warm water!). If you dont have enough space to do that you could just mist the viv lightly once in the morning....which is what I do. Hopefully he shouldnt require any help.

When he does shed you need to check the skin to make sure that the eye-caps and the tail tip have come off, and whether there are any signs of retained shed on him. This shouldnt happen, but if it does then just post it up and you will get the advice you need.

It is a great experience when your snake sheds, no matter how many times you have seen it or even if you just find the shed skin in the morning - they look so bright and shiny afterwards....so post-shed pics are a requirement!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  07:42:03  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Kellog has explained it all in a nutshell. Alice is always in hiding when he is getting ready to shed. I don't usually see him for about 8-9 days then wake up in the morning to a lovely skin. I just put an extra little water bowl on the heatmat. It doesn't need to be big. I use a small hamster feeding bowl. As this is his first shed with you I wouldn't do anything else, just let him get on with it and see what his sheds are like. If he has problems this time then you will know and can do more next time.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  14:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the information and advice you've given.
I checked on him this morning noticed his eyes are changing back so I think he will shed shortly, im going to add an extra water bowl to increase the humdity like youve suggested.
Cant wait to be honest and ive told my little boy he can take the skin into school to show his class mates.
cheers
Nick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000