Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at picking up pair of adult corns with a complete setup soon
is it still advisable to leave them for one week even if its an established viv and they are used to handling

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:26:08  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, they still get stressed by the move and are still in a new house with a new owner and lots of new scents. So it is still advisable to leave them for 1 week, with daily water changes.

You can also fiddle with the substrate to get your scent on it. Will they be in the same viv?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought as much its hard to not want to get them out but must resist lol

they have spent their lives together in the same viv so I guess they will stay together

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:49:46  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought but do you know what sex they are? and when you say adult just how big are they?

Cheers

Steve

edit sp

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 02/04/2010 12:50:22
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:54:42  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Just a thought but do you know what sex they are? and when you say adult just how big are they?

Cheers

Steve

edit sp

Exactly what i was about to say, if they have spent their lives together then who ever you got them off was very irresponsible.

How big/ old are they?

Do you know the pro's and cons of co habbiting?

How big is the viv they are in?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:04:57  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats where I was going Danny. There is a danger in thinking just because the snakes have tolerated eachother that they are flourishing. There is a big difference between "getting away with it" and doing whats right.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:15:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this post....

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Then If I were you I'd be thinking of getting another viv.

I can fully understand why people co-habit. Corns are so alluring and there are so many morphs that once you got one you want more and the temptation to add more to your collection without the expense of another viv is great. BUT..In my experience (having seperated cohabiting corns) they do much much better on there own.

Cheers

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:03:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would say really it depends on the age and the size of the viv. If they don't have a big enough viv that can take at least 2 different hidey places in the hot and 2 hidey places in the cold then it's too small and they will just sit ontop of each other when competing for space. It's just generally easier to get 2 vivs and put them ontop of each other.

My 2 adults were housed together until I found eggs. They are now in different viv's although the the female's one is temporary. I don't know if it's because I changed the food or what but he's eating better and generally more active and best of all, she's not being sat on.

If they have been together most of their life I would say there is probably no real danger of eating one another but they get a bit funny around breeding season, I imagine 2 males around this time of year could cause each other some damage.

I imagine co-habiting is a bit like the human version of sharing a room with your sibling :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  20:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except hopefully you would tend not to eat a sibling

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  20:58:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I wouldn't eat them but I know I've felt like killing her at times or really hurting them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  12:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the above to messages really made me chuckle soz nothing usefull to add to this but dam thats funny ! xxxxxx
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

Except hopefully you would tend not to eat a sibling

I don't know my baby sister tries to eat my arm quite often

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  13:58:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Tylerma, the move, the new smells, the new movements around them will certainly stress them so I would definitely advise leaving them to settle in.
I was wondering tho how much you know about the corns and the set up? I only ask because when I agreed to take on our corn I was told he was about 50cm long and came with everything he needed. When he was delivered to me by my sister (I adopted him from a work collegue of hers) I discovered that he was in fact about 60cm long, lived in a 40x20cm faun, and his set up comprised of a heatmat, waterbowl, 1 hide and a piece of wood plus some gravel type substrate. There was no decoration, no hide in the cool side, no thermostat and no thermometers to monitor the temperatures. He had lived like that fine for over a year and seemed quite healthy. He did seem small for his age tho. Immediately I put a toilet roll tube in for an extra hide, then had to pay out for substrate, thermostat, thermometers, plants. I also wrapped paper around 3 sides of the faun so he didnt feel too exposed. Then after a few weeks to see how he settled, i got a bigger viv along with an extra heatmat, thermostat, and thermometers so that i could get the new viv up and running correctly before switching him. Since his changes and increasing his food he is now thriving.
Sorry for going on a bit, but going from my experience that getting a complete set-up doesn't mean that the snake has everything it needs, I just wanted to check that you know exactly what you are getting.
On the issue of co-habitting i don't know enough about it to condone or condemn. I know there are some people on here who cohabit and some that are against it. I will say tho that most of the people who cohabit have a spare set up on standby just in case they need to seperate urgently. That is something else you may want to consider.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  04:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcom. Kdlang brings up a very good point....I was sold Kellog with a 'complete set-up' and it was only when my OH brought him home that I discovered that his viv was too small, he was on wood shavings, heated by a light with dial thermometers, and only one hide! Unfortunately, as it was my OH who had picked him up and therefore met the previous owner and liked her, I then had a fight on my hands to convince him that things needed changing - his attitude was that Kellog had lived like that for nearly 4 years without a problem so why change anything? It is only just under a year later that I have finally got Kellog's set-up how I want it. So, check out what there is exactly and therefore what you may need to buy.

As mentioned, I got Kellog as an adult and followed the one-week settling in period. Despite the fact that they are in the same viv, they will still be stressed by the move and will have to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. By giving them this week, where all you do is spot-cleaning and changing their water, they will also be given the chance to get used to your smell and not feel threatened by you. Even for an adult corn it is an important way of getting them to de-stress and feel safe with you.

As for the co-habiting issue....it is one of the few subjects that does bring out differing opinions on the forum. I do feel that the overwhelming evidence is that it is not a good idea, especially if you are not an experienced keeper. A forum member, who is an experienced keeper, did always co-habit and, as an experiment, separated his snakes....and was amazed at the improvement.

Another forum member rescued a snake that had been co-habited and the difference in her since she was separated from them has been fantastic.

So often you dont see the signs of stress until it is too later, or you just dont realise one of the snakes is stressed....so if you do decide to continue to co-habit then at least do so with your eyes open to the risks.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  16:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kdlang and kellog I totally understand what you are both saying regarding setups
and I know one mans full setup is another mans basic/wrong setup

what I got was
3 foot beech viv
a heat mat that covers at leat half of the viv floor
2 habistat mat stats
a large piece of wood (at least 32")
several pieces of cork bark
4 different sized hides
a lamp and lamp guard which I have taken out
a exo terra feeding dish
half a carrier bag of mice
and 2 snakes all for the princely sum of £80

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  16:26:26  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just my opinion..I'd still seperate them. I notice you didnt mention thermometers. If the viv came with dial or lcd strip ones forget about them as they are massively inaccurate and splash out on one or two digital thermometers. You can pick these up on ebay for very little money or else a decent one from a shop will cost you around £8

Good luck

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  16:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it came with a dial thermomometer
but I already have a digital one ordered

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:31:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a pretty decent set up. And with 2 stats and 4 hides you are already partly there to a second home or an emergency one :)

How old and what morphs did you get? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure on age yet
going to run them into the rep shop I got my babies from and he is going to sex them and give them a once over for me and hopefully give me a rough age for them as the guy I got them from didnt give me any records
although he did say they were about 2 years old

as for the morphs
one looks the same as your Alice
and the other is a snow
both really beautiful colours

I'll put up some pics once the first week is over and I can get them out for a handle

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  12:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bit of an update on this one
took both the new snakes to a local well known rep shop to give them a once over for me and to get them sexed
he said they are in really good condition and they are both females
so now the naming begins lol

will get some pics up soon

one happy bunny

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see them. Glad to hear they are both healthy

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000