New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stoney2143
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am buying my first corn snake in a week or so but need a bit of advise first.

I have an old fish tank ( 36 x 12 x 18 ) and i was intending on building a new lid for it myself.

Will this be a good enough home for my new snake or should i be investing in a front opening viv?

1 Amel corn 0.0.1 ( name soon )
1 boxer dog, maisy

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:42:06  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All depends, how big is the snake you are getting?? 2 of mine are in old fish tanks and are quite happy, all i done was paint the back and sides to make them feel enclosed. Just old emultion will do it, or use fish tank backing, newspaper, anything really.
As for the lid, make sure it fits nice and tight or the snake will lift it, they are very strong! If not my solution was to go round where the lid meets tank with parcel tape! snakes cant get to it and nor can they get out!!!!

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

stoney2143
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting a hatchling will the tank be too big at first? if so at what age should i transfer it to the tank?

1 Amel corn 0.0.1 ( name soon )
1 boxer dog, maisy
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:04:19  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A guide (very general) is:
length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake.
Here is a topic that might be useful:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7926&SearchTerms=viv,size,hatchling

Electra
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that tank witll be way to big!!Go with what Mozacchio said. I used a plastic fish tank from wilkos for My hatchlings home, Only cost £5!! And most stores sell them!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  13:23:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

All depends, how big is the snake you are getting?? 2 of mine are in old fish tanks and are quite happy, all i done was paint the back and sides to make them feel enclosed. Just old emultion will do it, or use fish tank backing, newspaper, anything really.
As for the lid, make sure it fits nice and tight or the snake will lift it, they are very strong! If not my solution was to go round where the lid meets tank with parcel tape! snakes cant get to it and nor can they get out!!!!

Hope this helps!

i tried parcel tape to hold a lid down many years back, but it resulted in the snake getting caught in it when the lid was off. it took a good few hours to get her out of it (extremely stressful for her, i got bitten 'several' times during the process) and it came very close to her eyes and she lost a few scales to the tape :(

please learn from my stupidity and don't use tape any where near reptiles :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:54:55  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is holding the lid to the tank, The snake ant get anywhere near it, The parts that open dont have tape near them. I Have had a tape incident before when there was tape in a bag of chippings. So I made sure the snake could not get near the tape.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  16:43:34  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

This is holding the lid to the tank, The snake ant get anywhere near it, The parts that open dont have tape near them. I Have had a tape incident before when there was tape in a bag of chippings. So I made sure the snake could not get near the tape.

Thats what I thought too :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:18:04  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Short of taking a pic I cant explane it, But I can assure you the snakes cant get to the tape. The glass goes all the way up inside the lid so there is no gap, but as they are not tight fitting, the lip of the lid that comes down on the outside is the bit that is taped. If they can get through a 1mm gap then fine they will get to the tape, but if they cant then they wont. Its been like it since I got them, if they were going to get to the tape I think they would have done so by now!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000