Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

....This kinda rubbish is what has cause the poor wobbly headed spider pythons and probably the stargazing corn snakes....

inbreeding didn't cause stargazing, its always been there as a recessive trait, but in an unseen heterozygous state. inbreeding may have had a part in bringing it out by two het stargazers being bred and then snowballed from there.

I don't know if its the same with spider wobble, i'm not well up on lazy overgrown slug morphs

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  22:37:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read that stargazing was first noticed and came from heavily inbread Sunkissed corns. If I still have the link I would post it... I just ended up typing in stargazing corns into google and clicking on links. What made me angry was that the breader didn't really seem to care that it is really her fault that stargaze corns are in circulations and that she continued to breed some of her corns that she thought had the trait. On the topic there was some very nasty pictures of some very messed up corns too...not stargazing or anything but they just looked wrong...it was so sad...I don't even think these one's were inbread.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51315&page=4

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  23:42:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Connie at CC Corns is doing lots of test breeding and breeding gazers so others can test their lines are clear. I know a lot of breeders that would immedietly retire any animals carrying the gene.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  17:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hypo Lavender looks great but I would say that
Amel Stripe second. Lavender stripe look cool as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose so many ahhhh

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This kinda rubbish is what has cause the poor wobbly headed spider pythons

the spider morph in royals often have a head wobble because it was present in the first wild caught specimen which then went on to be bred with other royals, although it seems that only the spider morph are affected,
at least thats what i read

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  20:12:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:

the spider morph in royals often have a head wobble because it was present in the first wild caught specimen which then went on to be bred with other royals, although it seems that only the spider morph are affected,

Is this common in spider royals?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  08:37:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:

Is this common in spider royals?

Yes. All spiders have the wobble to some degree, some it's just very hard to tell. It's quite sad really.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah like staple said it is there in nearly all spider morphs.. some are lucky and only have a slight wobble that presents when they get excited or nervous (usually around feeding time).. others suffer really badly and do the whole corkscrew motion which is heartbreaking to see..

i think its a bit heartbreaking watching it but heres a vid i found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQmiywlaJk&feature=related

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  10:12:57  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh bless her. I take it it's unethical now to find a wild non wobbler, and breed from a non/lesser wobbly one? Try and breed the wobbling out?

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  10:48:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's very sad and kinda sick that people still breed spiders even though they know about the wobble just because of the pat turns and colours. I'd rather have a normal snake without a wobbly head than a pretty one with a wobble.

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  12:18:58  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats so sad - I agree Sta~ple, why do they still breed if they have even the slightest chance of a wobble?

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  13:03:31  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Thats so sad - I agree Sta~ple, why do they still breed if they have even the slightest chance of a wobble?

it seems unfortunately that 'a nice pattern' is more important :(

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  13:05:31  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it's very sad and kinda sick that people still breed spiders even though they know about the wobble just because of the pat turns and colours. I'd rather have a normal snake without a wobbly head than a pretty one with a wobble.

Indeed, but you can't just put it down to breeders, owners are a partly to blame aswell.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  15:26:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Indeed, but you can't just put it down to breeders, owners are a partly to blame aswell.

Indeed. Sadly, I looked online for spider's and no-where in the information does it say "this snake may have a wobbly head" so some owners have no idea about it other than the fact it's patturn is different.

I think it's also a grey area into weather the snake's are actually suffering or not. I guess it's really kinda like virtigo in people but who knows.

Anyway get a butter >>; then give it to me teehee

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:29:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
theres a demand, theres a supply, and theres heads in the sand

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  18:38:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed. Sadly, I looked online for spider's and no-where in the information does it say "this snake may have a wobbly head" so some owners have no idea about it other than the fact it's patturn is different.

I think it's also a grey area into weather the snake's are actually suffering or not. I guess it's really kinda like virtigo in people but who knows.

Anyway get a butter >>; then give it to me teehee

Arn't spiders a fairly costly morph? I would expect that most owners that buy them would have previous experience with royals and many would look up information and care sheets on the internet so the likelyhood is that many of them may come accross the information, although obviously not all would.

Some people on the other hand probably wouldn't care and just want a snake what looks good.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:27:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
......and then theres people who see a cheap import and think they can get rich quick by breeding royals :S

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

theres a demand, theres a supply, and theres heads in the sand

Never a truer statement Eeji....you have summed it all up in 12 words....12 very damning and sad words.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:13:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are a lot of money as I was looking into getting a boa oneday so I was researching although I never heard about the spider wobble until I started looking into cornsnake stargazing as someone was wondering if it was the same thing. Typing it straight into google yields nothing and I doubt that there would be anything in books. I would hope that experienced oweners would buy them but I'm sure there is someone out there that bought that as their first snake.

I don't get why people would choose a good looking snake over healthly ones. I can understand breeders as they could make many different colours and morphs from them but I don't know how they sell them all.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  13:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't get why people would choose a good looking snake over healthly ones. I can understand breeders as they could make many different colours and morphs from them but I don't know how they sell them all.

its the same with dogs, i dont know if anyone on here watched it but aaaaages ago the BBC did a program about crufts and dog breeders deliberately breeding bad traits in dogs and then selling them on for huge profit, one i remember in particular was the woman who was studding her King Charles Cavalier dog out even though he had a major brain condition which is common in KCC's and every pup he fathered had a really high chance of getting the disease themselves.. the woman knew but she didnt seem to care.. ok the other half of the breeding team should have done a health check and found out but seems they didnt always..
other dogs that are bred with bad health issues are some of the GSD's - the really sloping back and bad back legs, Bulldogs/Pugs/French Bulldogs - anything with a reduced muzzle and restricted airways and increased folds in the skin, also Shar Pei's and Chows ect..

whoops.. kinda off topic there.. tends to happen when i get into talking about dogs

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000