Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  17:02:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry if the heatmat takes up too much of the faun, just slide it over so it is heating between 1/3 and 1/2 of the tank.

The thermostat probe is ok but the thermometer probe may be better ontop of the substrate held down by a hide.

As for putting something underneath, polystyreine is a good insulator do you have any of that you could use? If not a couple of layers of cardboard would be ok.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  17:08:34  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Danny yet again :)

I do have polystyreine about some where, but I do also have the big ol cardboard box that the stuff just came in :)

As for the termo probe I shall try that, I did think of that at first but thought the snake may not be too happy with a probe in his/her home :p hence tryin to use the sucky thing it came with

For the substrate should I make one end a bit deeper incase they want to burrow etc? (the cold end I think is what I have read on here) and kinda make it slop

Im also off tommorow to get some plastic plants as being a idiot I gotgot them from my order heh then after that a test set up and running to watch temps... then snakie time have to admit really really giddy... like a kid on his first x-mas :)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  20:30:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Takagi

Thanks Danny yet again :)

No probs.

Polystyreine insulates better than the cardboard so more heat is directed into the tank but i use cardboard for a couple of mine and it aint too bad.
Yes you could make the cool end deeper so he can burrow init, all my snakes like to burrow so im sure yours will enjoy being able too. Infact my smallest candy actually burrows under her exo terra snake cave rather than just going in it lol.

The plants arn't a necesity but certainly found that they made my snakes feel less vulnerable and they like to climb on it and curl up in them so happy i got them, they also make the faun look a little nicer.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:19:43  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well off to my local rep shop http://www.thecreaturefeature.co.uk/

Alot of people at work say there very good, so shall see what we get :)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:26:39  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooo let me know what you get

Edit - I have just looked at the website and it looks like a pretty dam amazing shop, i would love to go there. They have so manykinds of snakes in, from your corn snakes to boas to reticulated pythons and then venemous snakes aswell. I would travel down there just to see their spitting cobras and boomslangs never mind crikey the crocodile

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 01/04/2010 12:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:56:59  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok done some finally set ups befor I pop out

[/URL]

Got the (red) thermo probe just under the warm hide (tried to hide the black cable heh) and only a nice thin layer of substrate (is there a certain ammount you should use? or just enough to cover the bottom?) then at the cool end a thick layer to let em burrow or just go about on :)

and the yellow one is roughly where the Stat probe is under the faun

So add in some plants and should have a happy snake home (well when he/she is in heh)

Small side note, I left the digi thermo on last night and at the coldest point it droped to 16C (I forgot to turn the heatmat on....) should I be worried or when the mat is on it should move about enough heat to keep the lil snake happy?
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  13:53:17  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yet another one,

not sure if im being stupid here, but Ive got the Microclimate Stat set to about 31C but the temps never seem to go above 26 according to my digi thermo?

[/URL]

Ive got the digi set in the middle of the heatmat and (as you can see in the previous post) the probe is in the substrate
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  14:12:28  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
THAT COULD BE BECAUSE STAT PROBES ARN'T ACCURATE AND BECAUSE OF WHERE ABOUT YOUR STAT PROBE IS.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  14:28:06  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahh thought they might not be as good, is there any way around this like having it set on a higher temp and monitoring?

for placment

[/URL]

is roughly where I have it under the Faun
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  15:45:11  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The main reason for having the digi thermometer is so that you can measure it and set the stat off the thermometer. Just ignore what the dial on the stat says. The thermostat probe should be fine where it is under the faun. Although if that is a heat gradient heat mat where the top of the heat mat is hotter than the bottom you could move the probe uo a little bit.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  16:04:37  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheers again, and sorry for goin on and on

As for being a Heat Gradiant mat, I dont know it does not say on the box or bit of paper that came with it. when I have it on and feel it it feels warm all over so not too sure.

But have it on full now, with the digi in its place and will tweek till all is well (prolly should have done that in the first place as makes sense)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  05:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok.....have been keeping out of this thread cos Danny has been doing such an amazing job but just checked out that shop - A BOOMSLANG !!!!! Do you know how amazing they are??!!! Yes, a trip to see the croc maybe....but THE BOOMSLANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

Edited to add - maybe next time I head north to see my Yorkshire blood I can 'encourage' my OH to detour via Harrogate....its not too far from Driffield and Bridlington!

Edited by - Kellog on 02/04/2010 05:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  09:09:37  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heh yea they have quiet a impressive lot, (alos alot of very big spiders... that part of the shop scares the living hell outta me....)

but heading there this morning now, left every thing running over night and Warm end sticking about 29.9c and dropping down to 28.1, so think that should be ok

but I think I may look at a heat mat for the cold end at winter, as that droped down to 15 c, but im pretty sure the snake will heda up the warm end but in winter may be a idea

So off to the shop, while im there Ill try and get some shots of the Boomslang for you Kellog :)
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:01:15  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well its done, I got some plants and asmall Snow called Max :)

[/URL]

[/URL]

sorry for bad pics, from phone as dont wanna stress him out but seems quiet happy bust explorin his new home, had a drink a few min ago and now climbing all over his plants etc

also he keeps watchin me, well seems that way heh
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:25:59  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Small question,

Since his little run about in his new home, all he has done is burrow in the cool end and sitting under the substrate at the far end of the cool side

the warm end says (least on the digi thermo) 29.9 C could it maby be to hot for him at the moment? or you think he is just settling in? just a little bit worried as he is not really moving or doing anything
sorry if being daft
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  16:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the Snow!

The stress of moving into new surroundings will have a little impact on Max; try not to disturb him too much for the first week (other than to spot clean if necessary and to change water daily). Once he's more comfortable he'll come out more and more. When I first got Porphyria she did very much the same (even fooled me into thinking she'd escaped once too) so I don't think there's much to worry about.

Your temps seem fine (if my maths is correct, 29.9 is around 86F; anywhere between 84-86 should she you and Max ok) so it really is just a case of settling in for now.

Good luck and enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  17:06:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new snake, all his activity can be put down to him exploring his new surroundings. All my snakes burrow they love it.

The heat should be ok, but you could turn it down a little if you wanted. I believe 28 is the ideal temp, mine fluctuate between 26.5 and 29. I aim for mine to stay below 30 as this is a little warm.

@Kellogg, arn't Boomslangs amazing. I love how the males are such a vibrant green. Would live to see the spitting cobra aswell though, they can have amazing patterns on their hoods.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  17:40:13  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahh thats cool I guessed as much, but think I wanted some one just to say :p heh (over protive or what)

But yea he seems ok, I can just about see him under the substrate was mainly curious to him at the cold end heh

but have to say... the 1 week rule... (good thing) but gah hehe

As for the Boomslang he was not in store today, its the Owners I belive supposedly quiet chilled??? also the Croc as per is a fun lil guy.. although getting pretty big now
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  19:28:33  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its says the boomslang is for sale. You need a Liscense to keep one.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max looks lovely Paul and you have done such a good job in making sure everything is just right for him. He will explore at first and then may hide away for the rest of the time or he may do something totally different, no snake is predictable !!

I would agree with Danny about bringing your temps down slightly, you dont want it hitting 30oC as that is heading towards too warm for him and he can easily handle a slight drop from where you are now. Mine varies between 27oC and 29oC, but I try and make sure it doesnt go any higher.

I bet you cant believe you have finally got him (and I love the way he is winding his way around the sucker of the plant - dont care about the mob phone quality !). That first week is very frustrating, but you just wait until you have got used to handling him and then have to go through the 48 hrs no handling after a feed and the hands-off period between them going blue and shedding !! You know you are doing it for Max's benefit and you have worked so hard to get everything perfect for him - he is lucky to have him.

Re: Boomslang - as much as I love them, their place is in the wild and even if I had the knowledge, courage, experience and licence....I doubt I would want to own one....some animals are just not meant to be kept as pets....

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000