At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:02:32  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Fed Xena and Colin tonight. As predicted Xena nearly had me fingertips...twice!!! Struck so strongly she ejected herself out of the feeding tub again. Ate that small pinky then nearly tagged me with the second one (this time a medium) then had the cheek to look for more lol.
Sighed then opened the door on Colins viv as he was loitering around the front glass and offered him a medium mouse (with tongs aint taking no chances with him) and as predicted he turned his nose up.
Sighed again then put the mouse on his dinner plate in his viv and carried on watching the telly thinking "another one in the bin in the morning"

Turned round a couple of minutes later and gasped...

Colin had the mouse head in his gob and was holding the rest of it in the air like some kind of trophy. He then proceeded to move it to the floor to swallow the first section then held what was left up in the air again and gulped it down. It was obviously a big meal for him as he spent the first few minutes after it had gone down re-aligning his jaws but it was amazing to see and a brilliant result for me after exactly six weeks of fasting. Hopefully I am not celebrating prematurely and it stays down but for now I am very very happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with kind words of advice stay sane during the last six weeks.

Finally I am thinking of stepping up his feeds a little by offering him a medium every 6 days for a while to build up his weight a little again or in your opinion should I just feed him every 7 days as usual.

To help he is approx 33" long and is now 18 months old.

As always your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:33:59  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hopefully he will keep taking feeds now. Has he lost much weight? I would just keep him on one very 7 days like usual, he should still put weight on nicely.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:38:04  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest Danny I dont have a set of scales and having just forked out 300 quid to keep my wifes cat alive funds are a bit tight. Visually I could tell he has lost a little weight but not much luckily Colin was on the big side before he went into fast mode. I am not thinking yet about next time. I am just happy I managed to get something down him at last.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:56:25  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

To be honest Danny I dont have a set of scales and having just forked out 300 quid to keep my wifes cat alive funds are a bit tight. Visually I could tell he has lost a little weight but not much luckily Colin was on the big side before he went into fast mode. I am not thinking yet about next time. I am just happy I managed to get something down him at last.

Ahhright i see. I was thinking it may have just been a natural fast with it being breeding season, i wasn't sure how old colin was but if its natural they normly don't lose much weight.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  23:05:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah it was defo down to breeding while he was in fast he was hyper active and constantly trying to escape his viv

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  23:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hooray for colin :)

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  03:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news Steve !! I am so pleased for you....and you know that I know all about corns fasting - at least Colin only kept you waiting 6 weeks!

As it was a natural fast down to him being horny I would very much doubt he lost a lot of weight. In the 13 weeks that Kellog went without food he only lost 50g, which for a snake that was over 600g is not a lot at all. Stick to his normal feeding schedule rather than increase it, and I am sure he will soon regain what he lost.

Looks like I am now in the same situation with Silvesta , he is a lot more active and refused the 2nd mouse offered on Wednesday, even when I left it in RUB with him for a couple of hours. Will just have to wait and see what happens next. I am just hoping and praying that it is for a much shorter period than it was with Kellog, Silvesta is a year younger (I think) but half the weight Kellog was when he did it. Kellog is also showing some horny behaviour - he has (how do I put this delicately.....) deposited white stuff on me a couple of times and is also roaming his viv. He is due a feed on Sunday but has just gone blue so will have to wait until after he has shed before trying to feed him.

Change of subject - do you feed Xena using tongs?? If not it may be a good idea if you want to protect your fingertips !! What an amazing eater she has turned out to be .

xxx

(How is Wotsit doing?)

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  08:33:09  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No I dont use tongs with Xena simply because the tongs I use with Colin are far too large to hold a pinky. As she is so small I dont want to chance damaging her teeth if say she snatched it and it didnt come away easy so I'd much rather she missed and tagged me than risk any damage to her. Its a different ballgame with colin as I can hold the mouse by the tail with the tongs and he is that much larger he can snatch it away easier. I think for now I am going to carry on leaving his food on his dinner plate in the viv as this is how he seems to prefer it at the moment anyway. With Xena I am going to try placing the pinky in the feeding tub before she goes in and let her find it herself as I have had a few near misses where she has seen it coming and launched herself right out of the tub to get at it resulting in me having to do some neat handywork to catch her she really is that ferocious.

Wotsit is fine Judith. Every day he seems to get better and better and is now back to doing his old tricks and being naughty lol. so it seems (touches wood) that i seem to have a full compliment of healthy animals. Lets see how long that lasts lol

Cheers

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page