Planted vivariums for corn snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  20:48:28  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just wondered if anyone has real plants in their vivs and what the pros and cons are. I've always figured that the more natural and realistic the enviroment the better for the animal.

anyway would be cool to hear if anyone has ever done it, pics and vids would be cool, and also pros and cons

ari

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally havent tried it, but i know someone who did, and had the plants dug up, so worth doing it securely, and i think there are plants to avoid, but i dont now which ones.

Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  21:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have thought about trying them but also heard of alot that are toxic to corns not sure which one

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Real plants take too much maintenance and care to keep alive and even if you do everything you can to keep them alive, they can die. Also, cleaning the viv out when the is real plants is more challenging and if you snake becomes ill with something, you can just disinfect plastic plants.

I doubt the snake will the difference between plastic and real plants, they will only climb on them and poop on them XD Only people will notice the difference.

I also imagine real plants are more suited to live in animals that require sand substrate or a lot of water rather than aspen, newspaper or any other substrate suitable for corns.

To save money and for the ease I would go with plastic, I don't have any but I am looking into getting some although I'm not entirely sure that is a good idea as I imagine they would climb up on the plant until it falls off the side just like everything else.

List of plants you can use http://www.cornsnake.co.uk/vivarium-plants.php

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 18/03/2010 21:11:51
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:37:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just have plastic ones in my fauns but there more for cover than anything else, just thought it was alot less hasle than real plants.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  23:32:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you would have to find plants that can survive in the environment you create for the snake, which are non toxic to the snake, and can withstand a good pounding from a snake trying to climb on them.

fake is the way to go i think :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  01:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've used grass (in trays) and grown some English Ivy in mine.
The biggest issue I found was when the pots/trays need poo cleaning out of them.
Plastic ones are batter in a lot of ways.

Toxic plant list: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  03:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit that whenever my corns are out and about and they manage to get into a plant pot before I notice all they want to do is burrow into the soil, so I would have thought that would be quite an issue. The cleaning out is also something that would need thinking about.

The links given by Kehhlyr and Staple are really good, and you may be interested in this one as it is along the same lines - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8164&SearchTerms=grass

I have been really surprised by how realistic the fake plants can look, especially if you add some branches and stones to the viv.

Personally I would say the only pro is that it would look nice as long as the plants thrived (and Eeji's comment about the difficulty in finding something that will grow well in a corn snakes environment). The con list is longer....cleaning, risk of burrowing, trying to keep plants alive and not trashed - I know my corns climb up their plants but then they are fake plants and attached to the walls of the viv so can take their weight, I doubt a real plant could handle such rough treatment.

Hope that is of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000