Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  17:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi my partner wants to use wood shavings instead of aspen will my corns be ok with that or should i not use this any advice would be most welcomed. thank you all in advance

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  17:53:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm wood shavings, i've never seen them as a substrate but as long as the arn't pine or cedar they will be ok. You can also get wood chips but i find aspen better as its easier for the snakes to burrow in.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  18:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use wood chips and Spaghettino burrows in it just fine (he is 6 monts old) ! My opinion is that it's a little better regarding the pooping. Absorbs the liquids better. I'm not telling you to buy chips, aspen is fine, but whatever you use, just make sure it's not toxic for the snake and better buy it from a pet store.

Hope i helped,
Electra
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  18:47:04  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had beech chips when i got Reggie but i personally preffered the Aspen, but its all down to personal prefference.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  20:14:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most shavings ARE pine.........avoid at all costs as they're toxic and can cause various health problems

see this for more info http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1876

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  04:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we got Kellog he came with a bag of wood shavings, that were the sort normally used for rabbit hutches etc. I was very unhappy using them but unfortunately my OH didnt see the problem....although I am sure, as GP said, that most shaving are pine. They were also very dusty, which I felt couldnt be healthy for Kellog. We did not have any problems with him for the period he was using that substrate but from what I have learnt it is a case of the toxins building up in the snakes system and becoming a problem, rather than it being immediately noticeable.

I am so glad he is now on hemp and you can buy it really cheaply from an horse supply place. Run a search on Aubiouse, and check it out on Google. I am sure you can prove to your OH that it is cheaper using this than buying woodshavings....and it looks so much more natural as well.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  10:47:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought Aspen was a type of wood shaving, just more broken up. Learn something new everyday!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yer it looks similar but its what its made of. You should never use "normal shavings" the cheap stuff even makes my hamster itch!

Aspen all the way IMO. Or hatchlings on white kitchen towel or newspaper. But anything in the post GP put is suitable and used widely.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 14/03/2010 17:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just got a MASSIVE bale of aubiose for £8.50, will last me MONTHS, far cheaper than substrate specifically marketed for reps (Thanks BE). I phoned the number on here: http://www.aubiose.co.uk/ and they put me in cotact with my nearest supplier, who also delivered for free.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  22:05:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is that like aspen... for horses???? How is it packed may I ask? Does it like have a plastic wrapper or not?

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  22:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just like Aspen, but sold for horse bedding. I've got a large bale (like a bale of straw) in plastic wrapping, but I've now emptied it into some big plastic bins so I don't spill it everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  22:41:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's o.o; how many kg is one bale? And how big is it? Sorry for the questions x.x it's just that I've just been looking into switching to something like aspen or but it seems so expensive so this would be ideal really if I can find room somewhere to put it. My other choice I have is like some rubber bark but it doesn't absorb anything... I'm guessing the fly repel stuff in it doesn't harm the snake then?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  03:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did what Nazzle suggested, phoned the number and they gave me list of local suppliers. Not sure of weight of my bag (have looked all over it but cant find weight ) but it is approximately 80 x 40 x 40cm, and cost about the same as Nazzle's. Mine in the Hemcore, they did have Aubiouse but it was all wet. It is horse bedding made from the soft core of the hemp plant stem. My only problem was that none of my local supplier would deliver only one bale so I had to pick it up, but it was definitely worth it.

Kellog been burrowing in it today and it looks so good. It has now filled 2 vivs and has barely scratched the surface of the bale.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  07:57:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did find a website you could buy from as that is probably my best bet... there's a few farmers around here but they wouldn't sell bedding. I expected it to be bigger... like that size in inches since it's for horses. I have found out it's like 20kg and I'm thinking that the size you said is what size sawdust we used to get for our rabbits. I guess it's packed really tightly then? I guess I will have to order some myself and see if it's any good. If it is I can tell my mother in law she could use it for her chickens :3 If I find a good and cheap website I'll post it up here.

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  10:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is a bag of very solidly packed in chips. I use to use a metal ruler or bowl to seperate some off each time, especially when in the centre of the bag.

Edited by - Kare on 15/03/2010 10:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  19:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bale's 50kg. Must have a good deal (the conversation went along the lines of ooohh you taught my son last week, he loved it).

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  03:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

My bale's 50kg. Must have a good deal (the conversation went along the lines of ooohh you taught my son last week, he loved it).

Must have been a very good deal!! Am almost positive mine is a 20kg bag and it cost about the same as yours! Wonder if the price difference has something to do with yours being Aubiouse and mine being Hemcore - yours being the French version and mine being the English version (supposedly).

I must say that it is very tightly packed and has to be 'broken into' to loosen it for the viv....but it is perfect and both snakes are burrowing in it quite happily (which was my only worry with the difference between it and shavings).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  10:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50kg? that is the weight of a small adult!

Are you 100% sure it is 50kg? I ask as I am really not sure how a company would get away with selling in such large weights with legal and health and safety concerns. If you think that most flat pack furniture would be designed to be split to be sold in boxes under 20kg and food in weights of approx 15kg max.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  11:41:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
50?????? That weighs more than me! I can't even find any in that amount, the most I can find is 20kg and it's like £10 so I'm not sure if I would be saving or not (terrible maths skills). I mean 50kg does sound more right for horse bedding but o.o;

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  23:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what it says on the package, and I definately can't move it on my own! I'll take a picture (if no one's emptied it into bins yet) and post it. Our supplier orders it in for us as she doesn't normally stock it. We buy everything by bulk as it's cheaper and we have space to store it (as it's at work). I have to say most of our suppliers sell to us at trade/cost either as a good will gesture or in return for free advertising. I have been warned to expect prices to rise quite steeply due to the "new" reptile market.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  23:25:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where do you live and where do you get it from lol XD

I can find 1kg bags on the internet for like £10 and 20kg bags for like £20, this includes posting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000