Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  17:14:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have 6 hatchings and they emerged on the 26th so they are about 2 weeks old now. Some shed in the first week so I tried to feed them after they shed and they didn't take the mouse. The rest shed this week so I tried to feed them all and only 1 out of 6 eat and he went straight for the pinky. I was going to try and feed them all again on Saturday. Now here's the thing, do I try braining the pinkies or not? I really don't want to do it unless its necessary but if it is, I guess doing it frozen is the best way. Last time I tried to fed them was Tuesday and none of them seemed interested. Also, how long can hatchlings go without their first feed? It's probably nothing to worry about I know but after reading lots of information about hatchlings just refusing to eat and die it worries me... I have tried to look for baby newts but can't find any and live mice isn't an option either. I have tried wiggling and tapping one of the babies noses with a mouse since I thought they might eat it that way since their mum seems to eat but it wasn't interested, it just wanted to escape. Do you also think a container that you can't see through would help?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  17:27:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would try braining it, it could be just what they need to trigger there instinct and to get them to start eating.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought. I didn't think so many wouldn't want to eat though.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the best thing to do is put the snake in a tiny tub with a brained pinky and keep it dark. This is usually enough to get hatchies started, but don't worry too much just yet because they still may be going on the egg yolk yet.

baby corns get spooked by the slightest thing, so tapping on the nose could have a reverse effect and put them off going near mice.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:29:25  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yea give braining it a go its kinda gross but if it helps it will be worth it :)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:45:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks :) I'll try again tomorrow then. They are still pooping so I guess they are still living off yolk still. Just gotta hope they have tiny pinkies at the shop tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  19:28:38  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let us know how is goes tomorrow. Hope you get them to eat!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  22:22:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope you manage to get them eating. It must be so worrying.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  23:45:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is very worrying, I had some hope when one ate on tuesday and I left the mices in over night and I went downstairs and hoped that the rest had and they hadn't. I guess I'll have to see what happened tomorrow, I really hope they do eat as I am really not sure how long they can survive off their yolk. Some of them seemed to be quite late shedding so helpfully i's just also a case of them being later eaters. Last time I tried one shed and then pooped on his mouse. Just incase this doesn't work, is there any way I can make the pinky into like a paste form and force feeding? The man at the petshop told me that I might need t cut the mices whole head off and feed them that to get them to eat as it maybe to big for them but the one that ate seemed fine.

I'll update tomorrow about them when I try.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  13:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my smallest corn Aura is/was a non feeder.. we got her not long after she hatched (we were picking up several other snakes from the breeder so made sense to pick her up aswell but due to the short gap between hatching and picking her up she didnt get a feed), she hatched august 24th and it wasnt until mid october that she ate something and that was with assistance..before then she hadnt eated anything but was in good health and seemed happy
i know its scary when they look so small and dont want to eat but they are hardier than we think they are.. they will eat eventually

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  13:36:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That gives me some hope knowing they can last at least 2 months without food, thanks.

I have tried feeding one today so far and it gobbled it down! I didn't even have to spit the mouse head open. I put it in an empty clean butter tub so it was dark and then put the butter tub in my bedsheets so it was more dark, warm and quite for him. I then went to check 10 minutes later and he latches his tail onto the side of the tub and balanced n the side whilst eating. I got some pictures of it too! I just hope the others eat now.

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's good news..!
Let's hope for the other ones to follow the example!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  20:33:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats good news,keep us updated

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  20:39:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Only two have eaten so far... one seems really scared even when in a tub which you can't see him and one just doesn't looked bothered...

Edit: 3 now... the rest just want to sleep it seems like.

Edited by - Sta~ple on 13/03/2010 22:16:40
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  22:30:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Only two have eaten so far... one seems really scared even when in a tub which you can't see him and one just doesn't looked bothered...

Edit: 3 now... the rest just want to sleep it seems like.

Well 3 is better than 1 ayy. Im sure the others will come round eventually.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  23:11:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope so... I would leave them the mouses in over night but I have tried that and it's so disgusting in the morning. I think I will try the ones that haven't eaten again on Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm sure they will be pretty hungry then.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  05:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does sound positive though and it sounds as though you are very committed, which is wonderful. Danny is right (I am saying that much too often at the moment) when he says that 3 is better than 1...and given time the others will hopefully do the same, become hungry and realise that food is on offer and this is how they eat. It just takes time, perseverance and patience....but I can certainly understand the worry, I dont think it is something I ever want to go through.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  22:53:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm committed as I really don't want another one to die... and that way they can be rehomed and settled in. I will miss them though when they do go, even the striker lol. Plus once they eat once I am sure they will eat again quite easily.

I'll try again tomorrow, I'm not sure if splitting heads will be necessary now since the last 3 eat with no problem and the 3 that haven't eaten look quite active at times and seem to be searching. They are still very nervous though unlike the other 3 and man, this might sound stupid but after one meal they sure have grown. I hope that when I come back from uni later on tomorrow there will be no mices left in the 3's boxes.

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  23:06:05  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope they eat..!
Update it soon!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  06:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are making headway which is good. If you put some kitchen roll down and leave the mouse overnight you don't have to touch it next morning!
I got all mine feeding with overnights, seems the natural dark and quiet does help.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  13:08:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That what I have done, twice. They just hide under the kitchen roll and I get a nice soggy mouse puddle and smell mouse to clean up in the morning. I also have no idea how long to leave a pinky out until it's un-eatable, I imagine it goes faster than a adult mouse. The only way I can make it dark for them is if I turn the light off since they are being heated with a bulb.

The 3 that haven't eaten seem to timid compared to the other 3 now though. I have tried braining the mouse today and they still aren't interested, they just go to sleep at the opposite end. I also teased them before I brained it and nothing.... I really hope they will eat when they get really hungry. The other 3 have already popped out their mices and it might seem a bit heartless but I rather not waste all these mice... I really don't know what to do now, I'd rather they die nicely then starve to death. One did go to the lo though and it still looks like they might be living off the egg as there was a tiny bit of poo in it, very tiny. I guess I've got to hope they will be less nervous and then they may eat. I think if I try again next week as maybe I'm scaring them trying to get them to eat every 3 or 4 days but thy look so weak now.

Edited by - Sta~ple on 16/03/2010 17:35:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000