How much?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  21:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the end of last week I was completely out of food and bedding for my 4 snakes.
I spent 19.80 on two months worth of food, plus a further 30 quid on a bulk bag of aspen, that will most likely last me at least 4 months.
Whilst having a drunken conversation with my cousin about this he revealed that he spends 25 quid a week on food for his 2 dogs, so snakes are relatively cheap to keep.

I was just wondering what people on here pay for the upkeep of their snakes?

1.0.0 Snow Corn

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  21:57:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
too much to keep a count of! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What on earth is he feeding his dogs?! My dogs are raw fed basically they eat human grade meat from Sainsburys.

7kg of raw meat a week, 450g each day for a german shepherd and 550g each day for a golden retriever costs maximum £11 per week total, not each. The actual cost is however lower as at least one or two meals will include leftovers, vegetables rather than a full weight of meat or meat we have not managed to eat within the use by date.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  22:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've just gotten one of those energy usage monitors, and when it's only me in the house, to run 13 vivs, 2 incubators, 3 computers, the trickler in the garage and the radio costs me 28p a day in electric.
I bought a huge bag of aubiose a few weeks back, that was £8.50 and is likely to last about 4-6 months (at least).
My lizards cost me 5 quid a week in food(for now , the snakes cost about 7 quid.
Lizard food costs are gonna at least triple in the next 24-48 hours, when the beardies start eating more.

In total it gives a rough average of £1.98 a day, which isn't all that bad considering that's all the equipment and food.
If I started a paper round, that'd pay for all my animals and upkeep then.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For sid it costs me about £3 for a bag of apsen that will do her viv twice so thats £1 a month, and then theres the mice at about £1 each (this is a high average as I am trying various sized mice at the moment in the hope of getting her to eat again) so thats £4 there so for one snake (excluding the electricity used for mat) it costs me about £5.50 a month for Sid.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:31:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Where do you buy your food and bedding from o.o; I spent £20 on 3 months worth of food and the their bedding costs like £6 a month. The 4 cats we have go through about £15/20 of food a week.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  10:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy my food from local reptile shops (where ever I am closest too at the time) and I get my aspen online.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  12:23:39  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i spend about £3 a week on mice and a big bag of aspen does me 2 months and thas about £8 from my local repshop cheaper online no doubt,and bout £5 a week for cat food, biscuits and litter snakes are a fairly cheap pet to keep my parents spend about £300+ a month on their animals tho they have 9 cats 4 bull mastifs 5 horses 2 sheep 1 goat and some chickens lol

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am jealous! Sort of, before I started breeding mice it was costing me £200 a month just to feed everyone, the mice save me about 10 quid a week roughly.
Bedding wise I use horse bedding which is 6 quid for 25 kg, that does the rats too for about a month.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  11:32:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Which online stores do you guys get your aspen from? I have looked and I can never figure out which one is the cheapest as sometimes they say it's blah litres and other times they use kg.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000