Smoking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although the snakes are behind a glass and in a viv, do you smoke near your snakes and could it cause respiratory problems? Is it toxic to smoke near the vivs of the same room as your snake.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  20:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read that nicotine is toxic to snakes so i wouldn't handle them after you've had a ciggie, as for smoking in the same room or near the viv its probably best not to but its something i've never really thought of since i don't smoke.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  20:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never smoke round my snakes, I choose to inhale something that is bad for me, they don't have the choice, nor can they leave them room whilst coughing in a not so subtle manner

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  21:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I smoke, and I'll smoke anywhere I please unfortunately.
I think that smoking around/near/in the same room as snakes is similar to any other airborne chemical, whether it be a cigarette, deodorant or a sunday morning fart. So long as it's not super concentrated and directed into the viv, then I wouldn't see issues with it.
How may people smoke around dogs/cats or other animals??
I've never heard of a snake having problems through passive smoking, or a dog for that matter.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  21:37:52  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I smoke, and I'll smoke anywhere I please unfortunately.
I think that smoking around/near/in the same room as snakes is similar to any other airborne chemical, whether it be a cigarette, deodorant or a sunday morning fart. So long as it's not super concentrated and directed into the viv, then I wouldn't see issues with it.
How may people smoke around dogs/cats or other animals??
I've never heard of a snake having problems through passive smoking, or a dog for that matter.

Oh thats ok then as i have been smoking in the same room as the snakes since i got them and i smoke while one of them is out of the viv or rub when they are laying on my bed i stil smoke but never noticed anything , where as if i smoke near my dog he tends to move away from me for some reason lol

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  22:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I go nuts at my husband if he smokes near any of our animals. Dogs cats rodents etc all breathe the same way as us and therefore can all be damaged by smoke. There is evidence of smoke related cancers in animals, and even suggested that the effects are more than just from breathing in the smoke but that they also ingest the chemicals clinging to their fur when grooming.

Thinking of the snake bathing in the water bowl and then drinking it, no I doubt smoking around them is overly healthy.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  23:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although smoking around your snakes is obviously going to cause problems to the snake in the same sort of way that it may to a human a dog or a cat, i think it is more prominent in animals such as dogs and cats as your snake is in a nice tank, the main source of airflow is through vents at the back of the tanks and so not much smoke or the chemicals in it will enter the tank. Where as Dogs and cats will breathe in the smoke in the same way as we do. They breathe it in while it is lingering in the air and so will breathe in more. Plus there is always the fact that bigger animals such as dogs take bigger breaths.

Karen makes an interesting point about the chemicals clinging to an animals fur though.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  00:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She does, yes.
There's a perfect answer to that, don't have any furries.

If anyone wants a cat, I have one that they can have, if it's to big to fit in the envelope I'll happily stick it in a blender and post it in a doritos dip jar for you.

Smoking is one of those subjects that for me is a touchy one anyway, I got asked by visitors to my house a while back not to smoke in my own kitchen!! They knew I smoked, if they didn't like it, then don't visit.
I did go outside though, down to the shop and bought some cigars.

I shall slowly withdraw from the smoking convo I think, I shall start ranting otherwise.

threadjack over, back to opinions on smoking in the same room as snakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  00:38:02  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

If anyone wants a cat, I have one that they can have, if it's to big to fit in the envelope I'll happily stick it in a blender and post it in a doritos dip jar for you.

Haha love your sence of humour

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  04:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

Kehhlyr wasnt joking Hiper!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:50:32  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My roommate smokes and i never let her smoke inside my room where there is the viv. And each time she smokes in the house, I close my room's door.
As far as i know, it's bad for them.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  10:51:29  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

quote:

Kehhlyr wasnt joking Hiper!!!
xxx

I still find it funny Judith xxx

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't smoke in the house at all, and if I did it wouldn't be near the snakes, the fact that they only have small vents is irrelevant, the smoke circulates the room, dissipating in the air, that same air moves through their viv, and there is no way they can get away from it.
I don't smoke near the rats either, I used to, one of our girls developed 6 tumours and 3 abcesses in 2 years, the other developed a skin condition and 2 lumps. Now we have 25 rats, most nearly 2 years old, never been near smoke, and they have only had about 10 tumours between them all.
I don't think its a great idea to smoke near pets, but I have done it so won't judge anyone.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I don't smoke in the house at all, and if I did it wouldn't be near the snakes, the fact that they only have small vents is irrelevant, the smoke circulates the room, dissipating in the air, that same air moves through their viv, and there is no way they can get away from it.
I don't smoke near the rats either, I used to, one of our girls developed 6 tumours and 3 abcesses in 2 years, the other developed a skin condition and 2 lumps. Now we have 25 rats, most nearly 2 years old, never been near smoke, and they have only had about 10 tumours between them all.
I don't think its a great idea to smoke near pets, but I have done it so won't judge anyone.

Don't get me wrong, smoke will still get into the vivs and they will breathe it in, and the chemicals may well stay in the tank, but they would get less smoke in the tank than what the rest of the room would since the smoke rises and discipates and most people probably smoke around about at height level of their vivs.

But none the less i think it is best not to smoke around any pets, but don't really have the problem as i don't smoke. My mum and younger brother both smoked up untill new years when they stopped.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:51:06  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can it kill a snake ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  18:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me and the missis smok but out in the back garden or if really cold in the coservetory door way lol i wouldnt smoke around our reps if they were out but ahh well its everyone to their own i suppose
paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can it kill a snake ?

Yes but only in the same way that it would kill a human or a dog i think. I don't think it would cause immediate problems.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  16:24:01  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
coming from a non-smoker i can feel my lungs tighten when in a smokey room. alot of snakes have only one fully functional lung to begin with so wouldnt want to put more strain on it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000