Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  15:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We took our big lad to our reptile rescue expert who kindly probed him for us to confirm he was definately a male, not that we had any doubts! He said he was a lovely looking snake and has offered to find us some prices for a female for him in a year or so time when he's grown and bulked up a bit

He's feeding well, put on about 26g in a month so not looking too much like a shoe lace anymore!

I took a couple of photo's of his viv at the moment, then was going to take a couple more of him but i turned round and he had his tail up and gave us the HUGEST 'present' i'd ever seen!!!!!

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  21:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the viv snakey must be very happy.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  10:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a super looking viv for Freddie. One question though - do you have a digital thermometer or do you just rely on the stick-on one I can see in the pic? They are notoriously unreliable. Sorry if you do have a digital thermometer, just thought it worth mentioning.

Its lovely to get your snake checked over by someone who knows what they are talking about ! And good to hear that 'he' is the expected 'he'....have had a few 'shes' on the forum that have turned out to be 'hes'!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  16:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i think what happens is pet shops see gullable people who are looking for breeding snakes and try and pass off whatever snake they can as a 'she' !!!

we was sold cinnamon as a 'she' , luckily he was only a hatchling so we didnt specifically buy him for breeding purposes, but yeah we glad to have someone local to tell us that we're doing everything right

We was going to get digital thermometers, but th expert told us what we have is fine. If th temperatures changed slightly they wouldn't change enough to affect the snake, just like in the wild you have hot days and cold days, and the snake will thermo-regulate himself anyway

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  21:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice set up!... Keep your eye open at any Lidl or Aldi you may have near you... they often sell digi thermometers for about £2.99 Providing your snake is eating and shedding ok, the temps are likely to be around the right level, but it is useful to have at least one digi to check the correct temps and to set up your heat system to, as thermostats can be quite unreliable in most cases.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  04:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have the same type of thermometer in Kellog's viv but have come to realise that it really is necessary to get an exact reading of the temp in the viv, especially in the warm end.

As Jennet has said, this is actually more to do with making sure that the stat and heatmat are working correctly, and as your thermometer is situated up the wall of the viv you have no idea what the heat of the heatmat is...except for relying on the stat, which have been proven to be unreliable.

I have just ordered one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-LCD-Screen-Digital-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ130359421597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item1e5a06ea9d to go in Kellog's viv....as the digital thermometer I did have in his is now in Silvesta's and I have had to go back to the old one. Very cheap, recommended on here and enough to put my mind at rest that the stat is working and the heatmat wont overheat and burn my snake.

I know that in many ways we do try to replicate what it is like for our snakes in the wild, but in the wild they would not be being heated by an electrical heatmat that has the possibility of going wrong and therefore needs monitoring - my own personal opinion of course, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  11:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice viv set up..although a digital thermometer would be best - then at least you can get a second opinion on your dial thermometer - mine was out by 4degrees when i had one in monts faun..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow thanks Kellog they are good value! When Danny gets his paypal sorted we'll get a couple on order

thanks everyone for the comments on the set up we're keeping our eyes out for other bits and pieces we can put in with him to give him a bit of variety!

they've all been fed today so he'll be hiding away for a couple of days

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

419 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  14:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wicked viv, love it!!!

0.1.0 Crested Gecko: Keiko
2.1.0 Corn Snakes: Picollo, Morph, Sookie
0.1.0 Royal Python: Luna
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake: Chilli
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos: Cleo, Echo, Tiffin, Roley, Scarlett, Ludwig
1.0.0 Understanding Boyfriend: Nick

www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Vicky

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  01:05:15  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice set up

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  08:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hiper

Oh i had a quick question for you! How much is your black pastel Royal costing you? I love them to bits!! Our local rep shop bloke said he can get me a normal hatchling for about £40 which i thought was pretty good, but i do prefer pastels and spiders

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:05:30  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-And-Danny

Thanks Hiper

Oh i had a quick question for you! How much is your black pastel Royal costing you? I love them to bits!! Our local rep shop bloke said he can get me a normal hatchling for about £40 which i thought was pretty good, but i do prefer pastels and spiders

They cost £250+ for a hatchling , For £40 he is most proberbly going to sell you a normal royal which is a good deal to be honest but some sellers sell the female for more so when i go to get my black pastel i won't have it sex'd before i buy it due to if it turns out to be female the owner will slap another £80 on to the £250, So im going to go for a random pick then pay for it then have it sex'd. Pastels are nice and i love spiders but if i had the money i would prefer a lesser platnium.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its quite a lot of money for a snake that! do your best to pick a female

yeah £40 is good even if it is jus a normal royal, we paid more than that for all 3 of our corns!!!!

our rspca expert knows the good breeders and can also get us competetive prices our local rep shop gets their stock from Crystal Palace Reptiles, not sure if theyre any good or not

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:29:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

its quite a lot of money for a snake that! do your best to pick a female

yeah £40 is good even if it is jus a normal royal, we paid more than that for all 3 of our corns!!!!

our rspca expert knows the good breeders and can also get us competetive prices our local rep shop gets their stock from Crystal Palace Reptiles, not sure if theyre any good or not

I agree i paid like £55 on my snow way more then a normal royal But if i wanted a normal i could get one for around £20 for male and £30 for female they will be CB10's i know a breeder is waiting for them to hatch but will be some wait as the royal only just laid a few days ago.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

We was going to get digital thermometers, but th expert told us what we have is fine. If th temperatures changed slightly they wouldn't change enough to affect the snake, just like in the wild you have hot days and cold days, and the snake will thermo-regulate himself anyway

Sorry, is this expert actually an expert, or someone who calls himself an expert? Because alot of what he has told you doesn't sound like an expert opinion.

Temperatures have a direct effect on thermoregulation and your snakes ability to digest food. Those dial therms are bad enough as it is without then being stuck mid way up the wall, inches above where your snake will actually be spending its time- therefore it will be taking the wrong temperature, and isn't accurate to begin with. Your mat may be far too hot, or far too cold.

Too hot can cause stress, and may result in your snake spending to much time in the cold end trying to cool down. Too cold causes lethargy and digestion problems.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:51:32  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:

Sorry, is this expert actually an expert, or someone who calls himself an expert? Because alot of what he has told you doesn't sound like an expert opinion.

Temperatures have a direct effect on thermoregulation and your snakes ability to digest food. Those dial therms are bad enough as it is without then being stuck mid way up the wall, inches above where your snake will actually be spending its time- therefore it will be taking the wrong temperature, and isn't accurate to begin with. Your mat may be far too hot, or far too cold.

Too hot can cause stress, and may result in your snake spending to much time in the cold end trying to cool down. Too cold causes lethargy and digestion problems.

I have to agree with SB on this one , You keep saying this expert then i wonder why are you here if your not going to take our advice you have a few hunred ppl on here giving advice and you say about this so called expert , we are trying to help , your expert may be from the rspca but i doubt they know every thing about snakes and stuff.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well we've never had a problem with any of our snakes theyre all happy, healthy and active. And as for the 'expert' , he has worked with the RSPCA, council and police for over 20 years, is that expert enough??????

Hiper, i wish we'd got our corns directly from breeder! We paid £40 for Hissy, our Amel, and have seen them from as little as £20 on some sites!!! £20/£30 is great for a normal Royal, is it a private breeder you go to or is it a more well known one?

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:56:26  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dont forget you have a captive bred snake not a wild snake so you can't treat it like its in the wild, your feeding it frozen so your treating it like a captive bred but then you say about temps you have hot days and cold days , it dont work like this in captive bred mate you need to sort the temps out properly it could be too hot in the viv and could possibly stresss the snakes out or burn them.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have to say i have also doubted about this so called expert that you keep talking about. The other day you were saying that little hatchlings are fine in big vivs because thats how they would be in the wild and today its about the temps and the therm. You really do need to get a propper digital thermometer which measures temps on the floor not half way up the side of the viv.

Do you have a stat? If so do you even no what kind of temps it is set too?

What is your therm reading up the top? Its probably just telling you room temperature and if it isn't then it must be seriously hot in that viv.

Oh and just because you have been in a job for 20 years dosn't necesarily make you an expert on that subject.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 11/03/2010 12:07:30
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  12:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

well we've never had a problem with any of our snakes theyre all happy, healthy and active. And as for the 'expert' , he has worked with the RSPCA, council and police for over 20 years, is that expert enough??????

Hiper, i wish we'd got our corns directly from breeder! We paid £40 for Hissy, our Amel, and have seen them from as little as £20 on some sites!!! £20/£30 is great for a normal Royal, is it a private breeder you go to or is it a more well known one?

No.

I highly doubt your babies are happy living together, in such a big viv, and doubt they are happy about (probably) having less than perfect temps.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000