Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  23:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was doing some research when i got home after spotting this Adder and was on some website and it said that the black and white adders are males and the darker ones are females don't know if this is true but i wish i had my camera it was an amazing thing to see.

Yes the females tend to be darker.

As matty said as it probly just came out of brumation and this thing was quite big and i could clearly see he had ate something large possibly a bird or a rat as it had a huge bump.

You were even luckier IMO to see one after a feed! And to an extent this time of year, though they can be found basking on a warm day (been nice here in the SW past few days). You probably saw a male as the females normally brumate for a few weeks longer than males. Though it is the time of year for them to come out of brumation as Matty said.

I was wondering how can Adders survive in UK with our weather being cold don't they need heat or can these's Adders survive in cold weather ?

I think I read somewhere a while ago that they use deserted rabbit burrows or rodent burrow (the latter with the adder making it deserted!) Although it will be colder, the "underground" temperature actually only fluctuates by a few degrees from summer to winter (hence underground heating). They will also take the opportunity of a hot day to bask, even in winter.

I herd smoothe snakes are extreamly rare but i doubt i would ever see one are these's venomous as well ?

No they aren't venomous, same as grass snakes.

Will there be more coming out now ? Yes is the short answer. But as you saw one with the weather still reaching minus temperatures in some areas; chances are that his burrow or hibernating spot was very close by Or will i have to wait until the summer , Also i was thinking to my self that was a rare spotage for me to see this Adder as snakes only come out at night right or do Adders come out of there hiding place during any time of day and night on hunt for food.? Not really. Adders will be more visible in the day as they will come out to bask (although sun bathing isn't very "active"!) though they are not strictly nocturnal nor diurnal as far as I'm aware, so it is possible for day or night sightings- though as said; its possibly easier in day.

I hope to see more in the future and will now prepare my self with a camera while walking the dog on the country park !! Good stuff. Though, as per my last post, its sod's law they won't be out for you if you're prepared with a camera!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 05/03/2010 23:53:41
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  19:30:45  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bengy_s Thanks for answering my questions that about sums up everything.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  20:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was lucky enough to see an adder in November last year when walking our dogs in local countryside. We have a couple of spots round here where they are known to live, but have never seen one that late in the year before.
Not normally lucky enough to see much, as dogs go crashing ahead of me, but I was close to a hedge and it was just out of the bottom of one, in a sunny spot. Never even normally bother to take my phone with me, let alone a camera... probably, by the time I had fumbled it out of wherever I could stash it, poor thing would get fed up and rumble off anyway!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  21:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics Kellog! We used to see lizards on the dand dune nature reserve here at Blackpool (well, St.Annes) when I was little, not seen them for years but I heard they are still there, just rarer! Not sure if common or sand, think common but my dad said he had seen sand lizards when little and, like your photo shows, they are gorgeous!

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  00:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are out without a camera, most phones have a camera on now.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  00:03:41  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

If you are out without a camera, most phones have a camera on now.

But by the time you are fiddling around with the camera on the phone the snake would have shot off by then.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  11:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said, there are 3 native snakes, the smooth snake, grass snake and the adder.
The adder, as with most vipers, has a haemotoxic venom, it causes massive tissue damage, internal haemorraging, muscle tissue is destroyed and in nearly all cases death is caused by massive internal bleeding.
If you believe that the bite is not dangerous then you will get a nasty and painful shock!
Although its not as strong as a rattler for example, its still plenty to do some serious damage, and can cause severe scarring. There have been very few deaths recently, and most of those who did die, died from anaphalactic shock, from being allergic to the venom. Adders are incredibly dangerous to you children and the elderly, as their bodies are not 100% capable of counteracting the effects. Normal adults have a much better chance of survival, but that's not guaranteed, you must seek medical advice.
I did a lot of research into various venoms years ago, and from then, the last recorded death was nearly 100 years ago, and the person didn't seek medical help and died almost 48 hours later.
I was bitten about 10 years ago, the snake was about 4 inches long, female.
It got me on the end of my finger, it felt like I was stabbed by a hot needle, totally different kind of bite, it hurts!
As soon as I was bitten the end of my finger went red and started to swell, from there my entire finger ballooned, then my hand started to swell, all within an hour, by which time I was at the hospital. When the venom starts to do its job, ie breaking down the tissue, it feels like burning, its most unpleasant! I would take being tagged by my big boa any day over that!

I still go looking for them, and still find them, but I am far more respectful of their capabilities now. One thing worth noting is that they are not overly agressive snakes, they are surprisingly placid, even when handled, corner one though, and you know all about it!
The one I found last year went to live with a friend for a couple of months before being released, again, suprisingly, she fed on defrost within a couple of days, impressive to watch them walk the food with their fangs!
I will point out that its not illegal to capture and keep captive, if you have a dwa license, it however illegal to trade with them, unless they are captive bred.

A baby adder is capable of giving a nasty painful bite, an adult, well that's gonna really ruin your day! Don't mess with them if you don't know what your doing, if you are allergic then you will get about 20 feet before collapsing, and that will kill you!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  15:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  15:31:38  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mikerichards , Great essay do you still go looking for wild snakes ?

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I grew up bewtween the sea front and the south downs, and we used to have loads of adders round our area, I once saw a baby adder in the housing estate a mate lived on, and I was going to put it in a pillowcase and release it back onto the downs, but my mate wouldnt lend me a pillow case!

They are gorgeous!

I was lightly bitten by one when I was in the garden some years ago, my ankle swelled up and is to this day more swollen than the other, but I didn't notice until that evening, as it wasn't painful, and just assumed it was a sting or something, as it didn't hurt. It just itched.

My mates king charles got bitten by one a few months back, and it's entire side swelled up to the size of a beach ball, he was very ill. :(

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  19:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lightly bitten? lol.
yeah i still go looking in the summer, when the weathers a bit nicer. I dont tend to keep any though, just go to see what we can find!
Further to my post, the females are the copper colour as above and the males are very striking silver with black zig zag, males get to about 3 foot, whereas females generally 2.5 and stocky.

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  14:36:20  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, In assumed it was an adder, as it was deffo a snake bite, and I didn't think the other snakes we have a re venemous (looking on here, they aren't), so unless it was an escapee, as it was fangy rather than a row of teeth (like what I've seen of a corns). Up for suggestions!

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  16:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said, there are no other indigenous venomous snakes, so most likely! Did you not notice the bite? when i was bitten it was hard not to notice!
Most of the time an adder bite is not much to worry about, more of an inconvenience, but others it can have a very profound and quick effect. Generally speaking, if you are allergic (anaphalactic shock) to wasp and bee stings, then you have a high chance of being allergic to adders.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  16:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I grew up bewtween the sea front and the south downs

Whereabouts Mouse? I'm a Brighton girl originally.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  17:47:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes we done have only the one dangerous snake but I should think it would rather slither away than attack someone. It is more likely to go for small animals such as dogs, cats and maybe children as they are more likely to keep on pestering it. Grass snakes aer more likely to get you. I sometimes see them swimming in the river near our house :3

I wish rhino rat snakes lived in England >.<

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  08:19:59  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
@ Mike - I'm not allergic to bees etc, It was very itchy. To be honest I was concentrating. *mumbles* I may have been asked to cut my mates front lawn before his parents got home, and he had forgotten to do it, but the lawn mower broke, so I was doing it with nail scissors......in my defense it looked awesome when I was finished.....:S...

@Sammysnake - Worthing! :D Origionally Goring, but we were in Charmandean (by the golf course) when the baby adder turned up.

@Sta~ple - What bites do grass snakes have, and do they itch like mad after?

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly