Snake related DIY question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking down that list as I plan to shortly have a Corn snake and an African Pymgy hedgehog and I think I will make a stacked system to house them both, possibly with a third section at the bottom for storage knowing eventually I will find a third inhabitant, however I do not see anywhere any instructions on how to make the vent holes or where to buy the vents. I saw one that doesnt mention vents, how important is a vent?

I assume the people making these things have more knowledge than me and would normally know these things, are the runners for the glass easily available? What about the perspex, where does this normally get brought from? and how do you cut it?

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:22:51  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with my viv build http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1796 i brough vents off ebay and perspex of ebay. to make the holes you need a 'hole drill bit'.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Or for vents, you could use these: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9271828&fh_view_size=20&fh_start_index=0&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=vent&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1267537355780&isSearch=true

Pack of 6 for less than a fiver.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:49:33  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another thing to consider is that if you plan on buying a hatchling corn snake it may be best to house him in a small plastic tub or faunarium untill he is big enough to make the move into a wooden vivarium.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  13:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we bought our vents from B&Q i think, and Danny is a builder so he had the relevent size drill bit to make the hole. I've seen some vivs with just small holes drilled in it in a circle though [:S]

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, I will look out for the bits to start building.

and yeah I realise that it could be 18 months after I get my snake before it is comfortable to live in a larger viv, however being a rather blonde female I feel I may need that long to get something livable built lol

Edited by - Kare on 02/03/2010 16:23:26
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  03:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont knock the blondness Kare....you are showing fantastic forethought and planning in what you want and what you will need in the future !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go onto Ebay ! :)

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  16:38:39  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i went to the local pound shop and got a wire mesh bin cut the top and bottom off and you have a sheet of vent :) cut it to the size and shape you want with some snips screw it the OUTSIDE of the viv and put a nice little wooden surround on it to cover the edges less then a quid and i got 3 feet of vent material :)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:37:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone have perspex sliding doors in a viv? I used it once in a 4' tall viv for lizards and I thought it was too bendy to use for a snake (easily pushed past) - I don't know what it would be like in a shorter set up

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have perspex doors in one of my (snake) vivs, dont like it much but im not changing it now. It scratches and bows.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  19:55:11  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have got some stiff perspexs in my stack bends a little but needs alot of force. and mine seems quite scratch resistant

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000