How do you Sex a CORN SNAKE ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been wondering for a couple of months what sex was my snake so i can buy a ne one to breed ?

Could you put some links on or pictures

Thanks

Samm

Corn snake

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunatly the only methods that are accurate can not be done unless you have been shown the method before hand and are very comfortable doing it. You reptile shop should do it for you for free.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  21:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't risk sexing a corn unless you're very confident you know what you're doing or risk harming it and possibly making it infertile.personally if i were you i'd get a rep shop employee/breeder that knows what they are doing

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  21:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where abouts are you? I can do it or might know someone who can help you.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  00:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I ask why you want to breed your snakes? It is a very hands on job and you need to be prepared to house upwards of a dozen snakes if this happens. Even if you are intending to sell them you will need to provide for them for the first weeks/months of their life. Its expensive too.

I don't want to scare you off but I thought about doing it a few years ago but due to work commitments I knew I couldn't fit it in. I'm just thinking that at 14 you will have GCSE's coming up in the next year or two and it is alot to take on.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 23/02/2010 00:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  04:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am afraid that all I can do is echo what has been said.

There are places to look on the internet that will tell you how to do it ....but, as has been said, it is a dangerous thing to do if you are not experienced. It is a lot easier to take your snake to the nearest rep shop/breeder or even a vet if you are wanting to know that much. Ring round some shops and see if they do it and how much for, some places will do it for free - or so I have heard.

How old is your snake? If it is a female do you know the rule of 3? The female must be 3 years old, 3 feet long and 300g before it is safe for her to breed...any earlier can be fatal.

I will also echo Bengy's concerns. You are very young, but I would be saying this to anyone thinking of breeding. In your case it is even more important to think seriously before going into this....and do a large amount of research.

I have one child who has just been through GCSE's and another coming up to them, so I know the work load involved . I also know that you dont know now where you will be in a few years time.....away at uni or something like that. These are things you need to consider when you take on a snake that will live as long as ours do and when you are thinking about breeding, which is expensive, stressful and labour-intensive. I havent gone through it with my snakes and certainly dont plan on doing anything along those lines until I feel I am experienced enough to deal with it. But I have read enough and researched enough to have a rough idea of what is involved.

I dont want to put you off....honestly !!! I just want you to be sure about what you are getting yourself into before you do it!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  07:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gonna stick my neck out and disagree, if your prepared and the snake is ready then have a go, I bred my first corns when I was 8, so he's not too young, and I know a few younger than him doing it. But, you MUST research first.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  09:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I am gonna stick my neck out and disagree, if your prepared and the snake is ready then have a go, I bred my first corns when I was 8, so he's not too young, and I know a few younger than him doing it. But, you MUST research first.

You are not sticking your neck out Mike....and I do agree with what you say, in a sense age shouldnt be an issue (which is why I said I would be raising these concerns with anyone considering breeding, regardless of age). The issue is as long as it is researched fully, the financial implications are understood, as are the time commitments. My concern regarding Sam's age is the pressure that youngster are under now at school (having kids who have gone through it and are going through it I know it is not easy at all).

BUT, Sam, if you know exactly what you are getting yourself into and can handle what is involved then I commend you on your dedication and your desire to do this. Just the fact that you are asking questions shows that you want to learn. And you know that those who are experienced with breeding, like Mike and Eeji, will be there to support you with anything you need and answer any questions you have.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  11:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam....I have just read a comment you posted in the corn health section in which you say that your female is only 3 weeks old. It really does show what forethought you are putting into this breeding thing to be thinking about it now, with 3 years still to wait.....so I apologise if my previous posts in any way offended you . I certainly didnt mean to.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  14:00:09  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If this forum is for opinions then I would have to say why do you intend to breed anyway. As previously said on this thread you may end up with a dozen or more extra snakes. All of them are going to require homes if you dont have the monumental amount of funds and resourses to home them yourself. This only adds to the already growing number of animals out there that require homes which in turn leads to shops having to drop their prices to compete or else animals spend longer in pet shops sometimes in conditions which could be improved upon with individual owner care. For what its worth I think the breeding of snakes and other exotics needs to be regulated as there is a danger such animals may end up on the scrap heap with the growing mountain of cats and dogs and others that are out there already homeless for the very same reason. Sorry if thats a contraversial thing to say but I say leave it to the breeders that have sustainable outlets for the lives they are creating.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  15:00:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

.........I say leave it to the breeders that have sustainable outlets for the lives they are creating.

This forms part of your breeding research. as well as the expected stuff with regards to the breeding pair, egg care, incubators and all that, you will need somewhere willing to buy all your hatchlings if you have trouble selling them individually. If you have to go down this route, you will also need to know you're not going to get even half the price you expected to.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks every one for all comments
its just because i have been offerd 2 vivs 3ft x 2ft x 2ft
And a pair of breading corn snakes for 50 pounds so i dont no weather to buy it or not ??
It come with every thing and they need to get rid of them because my mums friend is haveing a baby soo she wants to get rid of them ?
What shull i do ?

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you buy them, you don't have to breed them ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  03:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely agree with Eeji....sounds like you have the chance to get a great deal on a couple of adult corns and vivs (as long as they are housed separately) and you will also be helping out your mum's friend.

Both my snakes are adults and I get so much joy out of handling them and watching them.

You certainly are under no obligation to breed them, you could just enjoy them .

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000