Maybe its the cause?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:52:25  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

The penny dropped in rather a large way today. Hopefully you will be aware of Colin not eating and being ultra active which I am putting down to hormones.
However....
About three weeks ago I gathered from this forum that spotlamp bulbs are not really essential for corns as they mainly collect heat through their tums so a heatmat is the preffered source of heat. However my rep dealer suggested today when I was talking to her that perhaps part of the problem could be due to the fact I have removed the spotlamp and replaced it with an energy saver which does not give off heat. She suggested that maybe Colin has got used to "another heatsourse" and by removing it i have effectively changed the ambient temperature in the viv which I did about the time he stopped eating. (all makes sence when you look at it)
So for the sake of snake science I have replaced the spotlamp bulb and the result was he has been hanging around underneath it and even once wrapped round the guard. He is due another feed on wednesday so we will see if it makes a difference. If it does I am going to feel like such a plank lol

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you feel like a plank, thats something alot of keepers wouldn't have thought of.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:01:31  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Always feel bad SB when I boob with Colin or Xena. Specially with such an obvious thing. I mean he has been off his food three weeks. What did I change three weeks ago? I should have worked it for meself. I just posting it on here again so people can learn by my stupidity.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont be so hard on yourself! Sometimes you just need someone else to join the dots together (like your dealer!) it doesn't mean you're stupid for not figuring it out!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:08:27  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would have probably felt the same way, but you have to remember that although the info out there is a basic guide, each animal is an ndividual, so if the norm isn't working you have to experiment with other options, keeping the animals health in mind obviously. One thing i have found in all my animal keeping is loads of people have different way of doing things.

With the belly heat thing, it is said that they prefer it to help diget their food, personally I think they like belly heat because their ventral side is the most sensitive part of their body and therefore receive the heat better.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:29:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep and I of all people should have known about cornsnakes individuality because I have xena and she has basically broken every rule I know. Well it hasnt been confirmed yet as I havent attempted to feed him yet so it could all be theory at this stage. Right now he is suprisingly curled up in his cold hide but he def showed an interest in the the return of the bulb. I am just glad I had the good sence to replace the guard as well as I had it off when I had the energy saver as to be fair it gave off hardly any heat at all.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all do something we think of as "boobish" at some point! Even though its easy to miss. I wouldn't be suprised if it were that or (at 3 weeks) it still could just be the time of year. Having said that the timing of the non-feeding and heat source change is hard to ignore!

Hopefully you've found your "problem" and Colin eats well on his next feed. I have one on a heat mat and one on infra red for different reasons and they are both fit and healthy!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2010 20:53:55
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  13:10:02  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well putting the bulb back in hasnt changed his activity levels any so I think it prob is time of year but you never know it may help. He is due a feed tomorrow so fingers crossed

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  14:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeping fingers crossed for you Steve that he eats, don't worry about thinking you looked silly if it is the bulb, i always do or say something that makes me look daft so your not alone..lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  14:36:30  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Mom2. To be honest putting the bulb back hasnt changed his activity levels any so I cant see him feeding tomorrow. I still do think it is hormones otherwise he would be less active due to hibernation (with the heat sourse change) but it does point out that before you change such a fundamental thing set up wise you have to really think it through. As said in this thread already what works for one snake may not nessasarilly work for another. Its just something to be aware of I spose.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  16:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mate, making mistakes is human nature, that's how we work, make the same mistake twice however, then its stupid!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  11:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wish him and you luck on the feed today, hope he shovels it down for you

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  13:01:54  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chrissy but sadly not. Seems I have no need to feel like a plank afterall as the bulb has made no difference whatsoever. I tried to feed him last night and left it in the viv for him but it was still there this morning. I did in fact at one stage catch him using it as a pillow laying there resting his head on it lol. He is still ultra active as well so I am guessing this has to be some kind of breeding behaviour.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  13:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh well Steve, at least you tried, as long as everything else is normal i would just wait and see how he gets on. we were a day late feeding Steve yesterday and the little bugger struck at the pinkie and made me jump!!! lol first time he has ever done it.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  13:21:59  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lmao mom you take your life in your hands (literally) when you feed Xena I never seen anything like it she actually launched herself right out of the tub once and ended up draped over my hand scoffing a pinky

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  13:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no way!!, its good to know she has now found her happy home.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  14:18:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah she sorted now mom2. I am proud to say if you look at her now you would never know her past and what she has gone through. its only when people ask her age I have to explain about her start in life. I got some nice large pinkys for her try next feeding day. Will be intersting to see how well they go down now. So I spose I cant complain at least one of them is eating and I have got two incredibly beautifull snakes so I cant grumble. Just got to sit out Colins hissy fit (lol) and see how long it goes on for.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  14:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Thanks Chrissy but sadly not. Seems I have no need to feel like a plank afterall as the bulb has made no difference whatsoever. I tried to feed him last night and left it in the viv for him but it was still there this morning. I did in fact at one stage catch him using it as a pillow laying there resting his head on it lol. He is still ultra active as well so I am guessing this has to be some kind of breeding behaviour.

sorry to hear that. guess the fluffyness/pillow like feel of mousey was just too good to miss out on haha there was no need for you to feel like a plank anyway.
is great that he is still actively normal though, hope he feeds next time!

edit - it's so good to hear about Xena, hope she likes her nice large pinkys

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 24/02/2010 14:44:11
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  15:17:57  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I aint concerned as such as he is so active and still drinking so there isnt anything wrong with him I would be more worried if he was hiding all the time. I think he just has other things on his mind and to be honest all this really kicked off when xena first came along so to make matters worse he may have got whiff of a nice girly snake.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000