Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

By the way how big and old is eric?

Thanks. I'll ask the dealer to have a look at this thread for me since he does know of the forum. And the stat guarantee does state 3 month warranty, I've had it since 31st Dec.

He's currently approx 7mths, 18-20" and 22 grams.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right- my temps on a number of occasions have been all over the shop but I have never had a regurge because of it.

If his temps were affecting him that much then I would expect him not to eat in the first place, let alone regurge up to 4 days later. I really would consider taking him to the vet in a couple of days, regardless of whether or not he regurges this meal.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Right- my temps on a number of occasions have been all over the shop but I have never had a regurge because of it.

If his temps were affecting him that much then I would expect him not to eat in the first place, let alone regurge up to 4 days later. I really would consider taking him to the vet in a couple of days, regardless of whether or not he regurges this meal.

Hmm, see now I'm more confused dot com, coz the dealer also said that they are unlikely to feed to begin with if they are too cold... tho he has on two occasions refused and i've had to try again a couple of days later.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:21:22  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The temprature fluctuations are probably not the cause although may not be helping. Take your snake to a vet as soon as it regurges or else in a few days when you are sure he has digested his meal. I meant in the meantime while you are waiting to see if he does regurg try sorting out the temprature issue by getting a replacement stat sorted. The main priority is taking your snake to a vet as soon as possible as it may need treatment to put that problem right.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

The temprature fluctuations are probably not the cause although may not be helping. Take your snake to a vet as soon as it regurges or else in a few days when you are sure he has digested his meal. I meant in the meantime while you are waiting to see if he does regurg try sorting out the temprature issue by getting a replacement stat sorted. The main priority is taking your snake to a vet as soon as possible as it may need treatment to put that problem right.

Ok, well I have just been taking new pics of the set up showing the max and min temps etc, took the blanket and top of the faun off and he was hanging out in the wires round his plant... no sign of anything yukky, so fingers crossed, and will call the rep shop tomorrow re the stat.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  21:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temp fluctuations can cause stress, especially as they are going into hibernation temps, then to summer temps, it can be confusing for snakey! If the temps go so low that he starts to hibernate then that will cause food refusal, also it stops the bodies ability to digest properly and the food rots in the stomach.
How long do you leave it between feeds and what are you feeding?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  22:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Temp fluctuations can cause stress, especially as they are going into hibernation temps, then to summer temps, it can be confusing for snakey! If the temps go so low that he starts to hibernate then that will cause food refusal, also it stops the bodies ability to digest properly and the food rots in the stomach.
How long do you leave it between feeds and what are you feeding?

I'm feeding one pinkie every week to ten days, unless he's regurged in which case one pinkie after 10-14 days.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  05:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad that Eric has not regurged yet and I just hope that he doesnt today.

I do think SB and Elament make a good point that it would be a good idea to take him to a vet to get him checked over, whether he regurges again or not. The fact that it takes him so long to regurge the meal, when it should have been digested within 48hrs, is worrying. Even if it is the temp fluctuations that are causing the problems (and they can suddenly cause problems even if the snake has fed normally in that environment before), surely it is better to get him checked out anyway? I am not sure if you have a good rep vet near you, but it is certainly worth looking into and maybe just ringing them for some advice to see whether they think it is prudent to bring him in??

quote:
Originally posted by Matts_Mum

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I am having exactly the same problem with my microclimate ministat 100. Got it on the Friday before half term, fitted it, set it at 28oC.....but saw that it would cut out once it reached that level and not switch back on until the temp had dropped to 23oC.......But I am not a happy person and it is very unusual for me to complain....

xxx

Kellog, I put the words 'faulty thermostat' in match exact phrase. It was a long thread about 888 reps, and it was on the first page I think, someone registering their displeasure.

Not really sure what I should do about mine.

Here it is, reply by Bio near bottom of 1st page:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6161&SearchTerms=faulty+thermostat

Did my call to 888 this morning and got exactly the response predicted, which I was not impressed about . I told the lady, in very strong terms (which is very unlike me !!), that if that is the way the stat is supposed to work then it should be made more clear in the info given on the site as it certainly wasnt what I was expecting and was not what I wanted and was dangerous to my snake! Her response was that they only put up the info provided by the manufacturer!!! *take deep breath and stay calm*

I will be sending the stat back and getting a refund, and have ordered a Habistat pulse stat....more expensive but hopefully it will do more what it is supposed to do, although from what I have read on here I dont think any stat can be trusted. My OH is going to hit the roof when he finds out the cost...and if that one malfunctions as well I could be looking for a place to hide, me and my snakes !!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  12:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought to throw into the mix - have you checked the thermometer is accurate? When I first got Saracen he came with a stat but I needed to buy a digital thermometer. His temps seemed to be all over the place as you are describing but before replacing the stat I put another digital thermometer in which I knew to be working and put the probe right next to the first one - it was the temps on the first thermometer that were fluctuating wildly, not the stat.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  13:12:17  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good point to make sammy I had the same thing happen to me with two different thermos

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  18:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

Just a thought to throw into the mix - have you checked the thermometer is accurate? When I first got Saracen he came with a stat but I needed to buy a digital thermometer. His temps seemed to be all over the place as you are describing but before replacing the stat I put another digital thermometer in which I knew to be working and put the probe right next to the first one - it was the temps on the first thermometer that were fluctuating wildly, not the stat.

Thanks Sammy,

I think that would/will be my next attempt to put it right. I have exchanged the stat today, and upgraded to a dimming thermostat. No probs with the rep shop who are going to send the other back for testing. So fingers crossed.

Edited to add: Well 3hrs later with the new stat and the temp has stayed pretty much static, not even a full degree in variation (I woulda had approx 8 degree variation in that time with the other), so hopefully he will be feeling less stressed already!

Edited by - n/a on 23/02/2010 21:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  03:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

........Edited to add: Well 3hrs later with the new stat and the temp has stayed pretty much static, not even a full degree in variation (I woulda had approx 8 degree variation in that time with the other), so hopefully he will be feeling less stressed already!

That is great news Sharon. I know you are only 3hrs into the new stat but at least it is a positive start.

Fitted Silvesta's new pulse stat today and his temps are also so much more stable. It will be in a few hours time that I will find out whether he is going to regurge or not. He has pooed once and it looked normal so at least he has digested something.

Just keeping my fingers crossed and will do the same for Eric.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 24/02/2010 03:24:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  07:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

........Edited to add: Well 3hrs later with the new stat and the temp has stayed pretty much static, not even a full degree in variation (I woulda had approx 8 degree variation in that time with the other), so hopefully he will be feeling less stressed already!

That is great news Sharon. I know you are only 3hrs into the new stat but at least it is a positive start.

Fitted Silvesta's new pulse stat today and his temps are also so much more stable. It will be in a few hours time that I will find out whether he is going to regurge or not. He has pooed once and it looked normal so at least he has digested something.

Just keeping my fingers crossed and will do the same for Eric.

xxx

Thanks Kellog,

Here's hoping they are both ok! Eric had passed a bit of poo yetserday too, and definitely no signs of a regurge yet, so hopefully wont be from this last meal.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  04:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kellog,

Here's hoping they are both ok! Eric had passed a bit of poo yetserday too, and definitely no signs of a regurge yet, so hopefully wont be from this last meal.

Well, the good news is that there has been no regurge with Silvesta and I had him out and handled him yesterday (it is nearly 5 on Friday morning at moment). He handled fine....thought he might be feisty as I am sure he must be hungry, but he was normal just quick!! Also did a totally normal poo, which was so good to see!! It is like back when you have a baby and your life revolved around poos !! Will feed him again on Friday, 5 days instead of the normal week and 1 mouse instead of the normal 2. Habistat pulse stat working perfectly.

So glad Eric has pooed, it means he must have digested something! (I think ). And I am also glad that there is no sign of a regurge. How is the temp holding?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  21:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks Kellog,

Well, the good news is that there has been no regurge with Silvesta and I had him out and handled him yesterday (it is nearly 5 on Friday morning at moment). He handled fine....thought he might be feisty as I am sure he must be hungry, but he was normal just quick!! Also did a totally normal poo, which was so good to see!! It is like back when you have a baby and your life revolved around poos !! Will feed him again on Friday, 5 days instead of the normal week and 1 mouse instead of the normal 2. Habistat pulse stat working perfectly.

So glad Eric has pooed, it means he must have digested something! (I think ). And I am also glad that there is no sign of a regurge. How is the temp holding?

xxx

Yaaaay, constant temps and no regurges all round then!!! I can see Eric is now spending much more time on the cooler end of the viv, rather than hiding in his warm hide all the time. We had him out for ten minutes last night and he was nice and lively. Glad Silvesta's doing well too.

p.s. hmmm, thought I'd done my bit with poo checking for this lifetime, but obviously not, lol.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  02:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news Sharon - I know what a relief if must be for you. I know it has been for me and I only had the one regurge.

Lets just hope and pray that both snakes keep doing so well.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000