Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Some of you may remember I had a problem with Eric regurging. Well since then he has regurged another two times and only managed to keep one lot of food down in between.

I went back to the pet shop last Sunday who thought it strange that the temps were fluctuating so much on the hot side of his faun (I posted before that the thermostat cuts out at 87, climbs to 89 then doesn't kick back in until it drops down to 79). Anyway, they suggested putting the heat mat inside the faun to maybe try regulating it a bit more... which I went straight home and did, plus added a 3" thick piece of polystyrene under the faun.

Anyway, the temps are STILL fluctuating between 81-89 on the warm side... but regardless of where your mat is, if the thermostat and thermometer probes are together inside the faun above the heat source should the thermostat not be switching the heat mat back on before it gets down to 80/81?

I have done a search using the search function on here and could only find something by someone saying that 888 told them that this is how the Microclimate ministat 100 thermometer works when they tried to send it back for a refund.

But it's the only thing I can think of as to what's causing this, that the heat source isn't consistent enough.

The shop said they'd change the snake but I think it's more a stat issue and dont want to risk putting another snake through the same trauma.

Any thoughts welcomed as to whether I should ask for a replacement stat, or if people who have the same stat can tell me if theirs work in the same manner.

He's finally eaten again after 3 weeks, and a messy shed I had to help him through last Monday, but I'm not holding out much hope of it staying down as he's been curled up in his warm hide since he fed on Friday.

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:26:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All my thermostats fluctuate quite alot, Reggies comes on at 26 and go off at 30. I new that it dropping to 26 wasn't ideal but i thought it was better to do that then have it going betweeen 27 - 28 and 31 - 32.

Caspers comes on at 27 and goes off at 30 but i think this was just pure luck lol.

My candycanes or Baby Nake as my sister calls it is very similar to reggies. It comes on at around 26.5 and goes off at 30 - 30.5.

I havn't had any problems with regurges but i think thats just luck because casper and reggie use their cold hide much more than there warm even after a feed. I fed casper last night and as far as i know shewent straight into her cold hide and only wandered into her warm hide this morning.

Edit - Just to add all my fauns have a microclimate ministat 100 with a digi therm in the warm end and a silly dial one in the cool end.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 21/02/2010 22:27:19
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mat stats fluctuate too, about 26.5-29.5. My pulse proportional stat, however, is a lot more stable with only +/- 0.5 degrees. I have had a problem with a regurging snake, but he now seems OK and is back in the same tank with the same thermostat with no more regurge problems.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, thanks Danny. It's just I've seen people say their temps are steady at 84-86 and wondered how they managed to achieve that.

Eric perks up and is lively and out and about only when he's not been fed for a prolonged period after a regurge.

He first shed about two weeks after we got him and that was perfect, all in one piece, but now we've had the messy shed on top of not eating/digesting.

We've now had him for 2 months and he's brought more up than he's kept down, so we've also had hardly any opportunity to handle him either.

Also,it's always 3-4 days after he's eaten that he regurges and he stays hidden (and untouched) in between.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

My mat stats fluctuate too, about 26.5-29.5. My pulse proportional stat, however, is a lot more stable with only +/- 0.5 degrees. I have had a problem with a regurging snake, but he now seems OK and is back in the same tank with the same thermostat with no more regurge problems.

So, did you find any reason for the regurging? And did you put him in with the pulse stat to solve the problem?

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know what caused the regurge problem. He went back to the petshop who were fab and helped get him feeding again (he had 6 feeds with them), he is now in the original set up with diff substrate so I can feed him in the faun as he seems to be very nervous and gets stressed out very easily, early days so I'll let you know if the problem recurs.

The pulse stat was a mistake, I went for a dimmer for a royal at work and was given the wrong one (I was buying alot of stuff and was too busy batting my eyelashes to try more discount to notice the sticker on the box), but they let me keep the pulse and gave me an additional dimmer, in future if I have to buy/replace another stat for a mat I will pay the extra for a pulse though.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  23:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nazzle, will call the rep shop this week if nothing improves :(

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  02:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having exactly the same problem with my microclimate ministat 100. Got it on the Friday before half term, fitted it, set it at 28oC.....but saw that it would cut out once it reached that level and not switch back on until the temp had dropped to 23oC.

Unfortunately we went away on the Sunday and, of course, 888 isnt open on Saturdays....so I will be ringing them in the morning registering my displeasure - but am now in situation as to whether I go for the same thing again or go for the more expensive Habistat dimmer (which Kellog has and works really well)....which is what I want but is really cost prohibitive. This is all assuming they will accept that the stat is faulty of course!

Where in your search did you find the topic on 888 saying this was how the stat worked? Would like to go in fully prepared for what they might say!!

But I am not a happy person and it is very unusual for me to complain....so wish me luck!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 22/02/2010 02:56:17
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  07:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I am having exactly the same problem with my microclimate ministat 100. Got it on the Friday before half term, fitted it, set it at 28oC.....but saw that it would cut out once it reached that level and not switch back on until the temp had dropped to 23oC.

Unfortunately we went away on the Sunday and, of course, 888 isnt open on Saturdays....so I will be ringing them in the morning registering my displeasure - but am now in situation as to whether I go for the same thing again or go for the more expensive Habistat dimmer (which Kellog has and works really well)....which is what I want but is really cost prohibitive. This is all assuming they will accept that the stat is faulty of course!

Where in your search did you find the topic on 888 saying this was how the stat worked? Would like to go in fully prepared for what they might say!!

But I am not a happy person and it is very unusual for me to complain....so wish me luck!

xxx

Kellog, I put the words 'faulty thermostat' in match exact phrase. It was a long thread about 888 reps, and it was on the first page I think, someone registering their displeasure.

Not really sure what I should do about mine.

Here it is, reply by Bio near bottom of 1st page:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6161&SearchTerms=faulty+thermostat

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2010 07:56:56
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  08:24:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had this problem with two stats (they were habistat ones) and I returned them as faulty. The ones I have now seem to hold temp fairly well. As for the regurging this is what i was told by my rep dealer...
When a snake regurges it also brings up most of the stomach juices which it needs to digest food. He told me if a snake regurges you are not sposed to attempt to feed it again for 14 days to allow the stomach time to create more digestive juices otherwise the chances are it will regurg again. He also said if you contact your dealer they may be able to administer something called an antiflagtulant (prob spelt that wrong) that can help the stomach get its juices back and provide a stable enviroment for digestion.
In all fairness I havent tried the above so I am not sure on the accuracy its just what my rep dealer told me and he is usually spot on.

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  09:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a microclimate 100 and it seems to work ok, I've had more trouble with a Habistat one of mine!!

Having set up a total of 7 (in a short space of time) stats I have learnt that extremely fine twitches of the dial are key- Turn it so much and it will fluctuate by 4-5 degrees, turn it a tad more in either direction and it will suddenly settle and regulate really well.

I would be concerned about the regurging though and would advise its now time to go to the vets for a check-up. Steve is spot on about the stomach juices. I also learnt from my vet that snakes lack the cardiac sphincter valve that us humans have, that allows us to control slightly more what we throw up! Therefore, snakes find it very difficult to keep dinner down- if the belly says out, it comes out!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  10:03:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I can vouch for the fine tweaking method it seems once you got it right leave it alone as SB says a little amount the wrong way can cause massive fluctuations. With my two it was def a case of perseverance.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  10:13:21  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Had no probs with my two mini stats yeah some fluctuations but i just kept an eye on the click off temp in the beginning and tweaked em both a tad. plus room temps etc play a big part... i make sure the window in my room is opened at least every other day to circulate the air.. and the stats defo do their job then as the room temp drops obviously.Have my two bigger corns on night eye dimmers and they do the job themselves so no problems and was defo worth the extra few quid for peace of mind.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  11:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use mostly dimmers and pulse stats for my lot, the stable range of temps is very good. The pulse stat I have on my incubator varies by less than 0.5 degrees, which I can't complain about! I do have mat stats, 2 twins, and they both work well, although I don't know the temp range off top of my head.
Its the normal way a temp/mat stat works, but shouldn't be that varied I wouldn't think, 3 or 4 degrees maybe, not 10! Tell them you are not happy with the way it performs and you want to change for a dimmer or pulse.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I've tried the 'fine tweaking' on a regular basis over the last two months. What I find is that the stat will stay within 4 degrees or so for a couple of days, then if left alone it will start dropping an extra degree or so a day until it gets back to an 8-10 degree difference, then I start all over again.

But I was maybe thinking if I take the stat back and upgrade to a pulse it may sort it out, coz i'm not sure I want the same again for another 2 months if I just exchange it, hence why I am asking on here others experiences of this particular stat.

Oh, and I've been leaving him a minimum of ten days after a regurge before attempting to feed him again, as per advice on here. He is also not being handled.

Just got home and no sign of a regurge yet, but it has taken 4 days in the past.

And will the messy shed be down to the temps/regurges, or is that just coincidental?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad sheds can be caused by stress, so yeah, its perfectly possible that is what has caused it.

Will you be taking him to a vet for a check up?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Bad sheds can be caused by stress, so yeah, its perfectly possible that is what has caused it.

Will you be taking him to a vet for a check up?

Well I thought I'd check here re the temp thing first, coz at the moment I feel like sticking him in a box and taking him out to the vets is just gonna cause him more stress, especially if the vet tells me the temps shouldn't be fluctuating so much.

Is there anything a vet can actually do to help at this point for his stress?

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  18:57:22  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair if you find the stat is fluctuating that much its faulty and take it back and get either a refund or a replacement. Dont delay because if you do there is a chance that the dealer may say as you have had it so long it needs to go back to the manufacturer. If you can afford it get a pulse proportional stat instead they are far more accurate. As for the vet I would worry more that you have a snake with an internal issue more than the stress you will cause him by moving him.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

To be fair if you find the stat is fluctuating that much its faulty and take it back and get either a refund or a replacement. Dont delay because if you do there is a chance that the dealer may say as you have had it so long it needs to go back to the manufacturer. If you can afford it get a pulse proportional stat instead they are far more accurate. As for the vet I would worry more that you have a snake with an internal issue more than the stress you will cause him by moving him.

Well the dealer offered to replace the snake rather than the stat, but as I said I dont wanna cause the same issue with another snake if it's likely to be the stat? And yes, I'm willing to pay the difference for a pulse stat.

What I was meaning about taking the snake to the vets is what can he actually do if it's a temp issue(or even if it's not), and at the moment I'm loathe to handle him right now incase I actually cause him to regurge, since it's been 3 days since he ate and it has previously taken up to four days to regurge?

On the plus side he hasn't actually lost any weight.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:08:10  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh I see well in that case then the temp is the issue you need to sort out right away then if he doesnt regurg all well and good but if he does i would take him to a vet immediately and dont worry about the stress involved so long as you transport him correctly its unlikely the price of the stress is going to outweight the peace of mind you will feel having had a vet have a look.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  19:12:49  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
By the way how big and old is eric?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page