Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  21:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im brand new to corn snakes and wanted to say hi I've just set up my vivarium and I'll hopfully be getting my first snake next month

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey JK149 welcome to the forum have a looksy throught these threads good information in here

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Edited by - gmac on 18/02/2010 22:22:16
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering i've got my thermostat i turned it on to test my heat mat and it gets to 30c then it turns off as it should but it stays off untill its cold is this supposed to happen?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What temps does it show its cooling down to when the stat is off, what are you using to monitor your temps and where is the therm probe and the stat probe located

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using a strip thermometer on both sides and my probe is on the top edge of my heating mat the temperature just drops untill it comes back on

Edited by - n/a on 18/02/2010 22:36:50
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best thing to do is get yourself a digital thermometer and place it on the substrate in the viv above the mat. This will give a better indcation of the temps as the strips are not reliable.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks i'll drop by the pet store tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:49:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Lucky you, getting your first corn snake, once everything is up and running correct.
What are you looking to get? Male/female? Age? Morph?
Let us know how you're getting on......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  22:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been looking around the web and im thinking a caramel, oketee or mabye a sunkissed

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  23:50:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try not to get stuck on a certain morph, i found it best to just go to the pet shop and have a browse, sure i have a little wish list of snakes i would like to own, but its always best to keep an open mind.

As for your thermostat, the substrate should feel cool to the touch. Corns need temperatures between 27 and 30 degrees celsius and since our body temp is 37 degrees the substrate will feel cool to us. If it does feel warm then it is likely to be too hot.

Make sure you do pic up a digi thermometer though, its an invaluable piece of kit.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  23:59:40  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like your choices. Do take advice tho' and look in reptile outlets....better to see the snakes in the 'flesh' or should that be scales!!! You'll know when you've found the right one.

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  00:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice everyone theres a big tropical pets store a few miles up the road from me i'll take a look at what morphs they have before i buy

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  00:13:10  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Take note of Danny's advice. Couldn't agree more, go for a digital therm they are well worth the money. You can get ones that tell you both hot & cool temps and you can push a little button that give you the max & min temps in the viv too. They also give you humidity readings which may prove important to help prevent respiratory problems.

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  12:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks just ordered a digital thermometer

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  13:36:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  14:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum mate

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  02:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum James! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship as you have already found with the welcomes and advice given. I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Gmac has given you the links where you can find the best information for a new keeper. It is so good to have someone join who is doing their research first and getting their viv set up and running, all before getting their snake!! Definitely the type of forum member we like .

Not sure if you have heard of The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your new snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Unfortunately, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. I am so glad you are already asking questions. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I agree with what has been said about not getting 'tunnel vision' regarding morphs. I know that many people have missed out on gorgeous anerys, amels and ghosts because they are too 'common' and not what they are looking for - but you just have to look at my 2 to see how beautiful they are!!! I think it is good to have an idea of what you might like but dont let it blind you to what is really out there.

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule (a bit early for you I know) - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  10:05:49  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  12:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks kellog i hadn't heard of the 1 week rule

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  02:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK149

Thanks kellog i hadn't heard of the 1 week rule

Not really a rule - call that artistic license !! It is more of a guide but one that we would certainly advise anyone who gets a new snake. Unfortunately, as I said, so few people are told about it but it really makes a difference in helping your snake to settle in.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000