wow pet shops amaze me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  13:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to start living in liverpool isnt the best place for a good rep shop but after 3 years of going round them there were only 3 that i would ever step foot in until now, there is only 2.

went to one of the three rep shops today and normally its clean well looked after reps helpful staff.

today i walked in the shop went to go up the stairs to the rep part and there was the manager sitting on the stairs with his dog, he didnt move to let me get passed that was the first problem.

i get up to te rep part the first viv i see has about 15 yemen chameleon with only a water bowl and a small stick in a 2foot viv.

i carry on looking around and i see viv after viv filthy, no water, overhoused and ungaurded bulbs/ceramic.

finally i get round to the corns/boas/royals/milks. i look into the boas viv between 4-7 baby boa's in filthy and mite infested vivs. i took a closer look in and saw one small boa and its skin/muscle was hanging of it the poor thing could bearly move.

looked at the rest of the snakes they were all the same filthy and mite ridden. the only saving grace was some golden skinks there were in perfect condition but that didnt make up for the rest.

now i am down to 2 pet shops to go to. both outside of walking/biking distance so will have to slum it on public transport to get there.

rant over sorry

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  13:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear god thats disgusting, sucks when you have too see things like that.

Are you going to report him?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  13:44:14  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

i tried reporting another rep shop in liverpool but they are still the same so it gets you no were

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  13:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

i tried reporting another rep shop in liverpool but they are still the same so it gets you no were

I've found that too, the shop I got Croc from has been reported countless times- nothings better.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

IdenticalTentacle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  17:45:54  Show Profile  Visit IdenticalTentacle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, this sucks. Who do you report them to, RSPCA? I'm appauled that nothing gets done. It's like most people think the only animals worth protecting are the furry ones. Poor little reptiles :(

RIP baby Friedrich.
Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  20:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is horrible dont think i could of kept my cool. prob would of lost my rag with the manager.some thing needs doing to stop things like that happening

Go to Top of Page

misstwinkle
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  21:10:56  Show Profile  Click to see misstwinkle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what bout if u get intouch with the enviromental health/council? as there the ones that give the licences to them the sell animals. worth a try..

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  21:20:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is disgraceful. it would have made me cry to see them in those conditions.

It is appauling that shops are allowed to get away with keeping reps in these conditions as if they don't suffer in the same way as furries do. I would report it to the rspca anyway as you might not be the only person to report it. See if you can get some friends to go and look and report what they see too. The more people who report these shops the better. I think contacting the council would also be a good idea.

Failing that contact the local paper. Suggest they send an undercover reporter round. A newspaper report on the awful conditions there will go a long way to getting some action from the authorities.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  16:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing to do is speak to the manager, explain to him your concerns, and if he does nothing then report him to the council, tell him that too, make sure he knows that he won't get away with it.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

to start living in liverpool isnt the best place for a good rep shop but after 3 years of going round them there were only 3 that i would ever step foot in until now, there is only 2.

went to one of the three rep shops today and normally its clean well looked after reps helpful staff.

today i walked in the shop went to go up the stairs to the rep part and there was the manager sitting on the stairs with his dog, he didnt move to let me get passed that was the first problem.

i get up to te rep part the first viv i see has about 15 yemen chameleon with only a water bowl and a small stick in a 2foot viv.

i carry on looking around and i see viv after viv filthy, no water, overhoused and ungaurded bulbs/ceramic.

finally i get round to the corns/boas/royals/milks. i look into the boas viv between 4-7 baby boa's in filthy and mite infested vivs. i took a closer look in and saw one small boa and its skin/muscle was hanging of it the poor thing could bearly move.

looked at the rest of the snakes they were all the same filthy and mite ridden. the only saving grace was some golden skinks there were in perfect condition but that didnt make up for the rest.

now i am down to 2 pet shops to go to. both outside of walking/biking distance so will have to slum it on public transport to get there.

rant over sorry

Your rant is completely justified mate for the reasons already mentioned. Report him and then keep reporting him until either action is taken or he sorts his act out.

Can one of you Cham keepers confirm what I'm thinking about the bit I've highlighted in bold.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  17:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

quote:

first viv i see has about 15 yemen chameleon with only a water bowl

Can one of you Cham keepers confirm what I'm thinking about the bit I've highlighted in bold.

Chams wont drink standing water, keepers eather mist the cage or use drippers. Apparently they cant see standing water, but can see the light reflection from moving drips.

p.s I dont keep them.

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2010 :  23:17:20  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i may go back next week if i get a chance and maybe take some piccies and talk to the manager

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  10:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to do something Matt, even if the outcome is that nothing happens. For your own peace of mind you need to do something rather than feel you are leaving those reptiles to suffer.

I would certainly go back as a simple visitor and try and take some subtle photos, and if you have any friends who are reptile keepers get them to visit to and write out reports on what they think.

Then approach the manager with your concerns, backing them up with what you know of his shop and your experience.

Before you do this look into who he can be reported to...not only the RSPCA, but also the environment health as MissTwinkle suggested, and also other business organisations that he may have to be a member of (I dont know enough about pet shops to know what checks/licenses they may require, but it may be worth looking into). As a business it may be that they are failing to keep to their expected business practice, in that they are selling stock that is really unsaleable??? Maybe ask for advice at your CAB, raising your concerns that the RSPCA will be unable to do anything so is there anything that can be done business wise.

This does need to be reported to the RSPCA, and not only by you but by as many different people as you can get in there....each reporting to the RSPCA independently. I think the suggestion of going to the press on this is also a valid one.

One question though - why the change from the shop that used to be clean, well looked after reptiles, helpful staff???

I am just trying to think of anything you can do to sort this out....because it is CRIMINAL that it is left to continue and CRIMINAL that there are so many other shops out there that are the same and nothing is done about them.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000