New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does changing the layout of a snakes home, whatever size it is, make it stressed? Everytime i clean Blaze's home i always try to move things around abit to make things more interesting for him (obviously whilst giving him 1 hide at each end+plant coverage)
Just wondering if a snakes 'reaction' (for want of a better word) is more likely to be "oooo, new place, lets explore" or "oh my god, i dont know this place, im scared"!!!
Just wana do whats best by him!!

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaze should be able to smell its his own house, so shouldn't be all that bothered. Changing the layout is indeed a good way of adding some excitement to your snakes life, every couple of months should do it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes its good to do. On this site's care sheet says to do it every now and again too.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  00:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I regularly shift things around in my vivs, I dunno if they do notice, but they do seem to be more active after a shuffle around.

quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

......Just wondering if a snakes 'reaction' (for want of a better word) is more likely to be "oooo, new place, lets explore"......

Unless it's a kingsnake, when I believe the thought in their head is; "oooh, something new to trash"

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  00:15:06  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
Unless it's a kingsnake, when I believe the thought in their head is; "oooh, something new to trash"

Unbelievably true!
Its a good idea now and again, it keeps them active and interested.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  01:08:12  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
agreed, when your snake becomes a little inactive for long periods, its probably because they are bored. i change the layout every so often and mystery can help explore. keeps him happy
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  07:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i regularly shift stuff about..and i mix and match the substrate depending on how im feeling..some weeks its just kitchen towel with paper shreddings or its kitchen towel with aspen or sometimes a bit of aspen with paper shreddings for extra hidey places
the king just trashes everything i do for him.. im always flattening out his aspen so he has to spend all day remaking the tunnels

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  19:27:54  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's a good idea to change any animals environment around to stop them becoming lethargic, even if they had only say...... a predtory instinct, if they think they haven't gone there before looking for food, the change would entice them to explore, whether it be for food, or a way to escape

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 14/02/2010 19:28:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000