Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problems!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right vermiculite is in the box, which Mushu didn't appreciate very much but it seems to have done the trick.

Question though- I have read that you should be able to feel definite bumps along the length of the snake when they are gravid. When getting Mu out I let her slide gently through my hands, but I'm not sure whether or not I felt bumps lol.

There is definitely a change in her "feel" and her belly scales look distended, and she is deffo in shed, but maybe I am just jumping to conclusions?

It's been nearly a month since the first mating and about a week and a half since the last, was this enough to get her gravid?

Do I need to stop being so flippin paranoid lol?!?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  23:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, sorry for jumping in here, do you all use propper shop bought incubators? I've seen a couple of people on the net who use fishtanks. They just put the eggs on the vermiculate in the tub into the fish tank at whatever the correct temperature is.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  06:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a home made one, I have used poly boxes also. A fish tank is not ideal due to the temp fluctuations you can get in a large open area. The best a most simple methos is the poly box, they are easy to setup, very easy to regulate, and you can hide it out of the way. If you want to set one up I can show you one I have used.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  09:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Hey, sorry for jumping in here, do you all use propper shop bought incubators? I've seen a couple of people on the net who use fishtanks. They just put the eggs on the vermiculate in the tub into the fish tank at whatever the correct temperature is.

Not forgiven, start your own thread

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  15:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, incubator arrived today.

It is very simple, just an RUB inside a polystyrene box, which is on top of a heat mat with a stat and thermometer attached. I will pick up a humidity gauge tomorrow. The RUB has about 5 holes along each side of the lid- is this ok or should I block some?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  08:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its better to have the holes along the sides, rather than the top.
When you set it up, put your stat probe and thermometer probe in the tub you are uncubating in, ontop of the vermiculite, if you put it on the heatmat, the vermiculite wont get warm enough, quick enough, where as on the vermiculite it will keep that at a stable temp.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  10:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I have another box which I will use instead and I'll solder a few holes along the sides. Also got some more thermometers coming which is handy because the one that came with the incubator is taped UNDER the heatmeat.

I have a horrible feeling the stat probe is also stuck under the mat though, which means I will either have to buy a new one or try and get the probe from underneath. I also need to get a humidity gauge, it needs to be in the 90s doesnt it?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  13:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats less than ideal yes! I put the stat probe in the box with the eggs, that way i know how warm the eggs are, not just the outside!
You should be able to get the probe out without too much of an issue, some heatmats have a double sided sticky on the bottom, so it might just be acase of getting that out the way to get to it.
Humidity wise, you want as close to 100% as reasonably possible, putting a bowl of water on the heatmat next to the lay box is something i have done in the past, keeps the humidity of the whole incubator up then.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  14:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah have got a bowl of water in there atm, have ordered a gauge so just have to wait a couple of days for it arrive. Managed to get the stat probe out from underneath the tape but the thermometer one ain't budging. The new therms should be arriving monday tho.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I have a home made one, I have used poly boxes also. A fish tank is not ideal due to the temp fluctuations you can get in a large open area. The best a most simple methos is the poly box, they are easy to setup, very easy to regulate, and you can hide it out of the way. If you want to set one up I can show you one I have used.

Thanks mike but i was just curious, will be a while before a breed so i have plenty of time to do all of my research.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2010 :  16:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem mate, am sure the info is all here anyways!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000