Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  21:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,my names paul and i am a complete noob to corns that much of a noob i aint got one yet lol, im looking into getting a corn snake, where else best to learn about them and get info from others than a load corn snake owners lol, any info you could give will be apreciated alot.
im from north wales and am looking for a baby corn snake any sex any colouring as cheap as possible if anyone knows of any close by.
few bits of info i require are:

whats the best substrate as i have been told i could use wood shavings as long as is not from pine or highly scented wood

is a uv light required if so whats advised?

temps required hot end and cool end?

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
this care sheet will answer all your questions
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

but aspen or kitchen towel is a good substrate to use, uv lighting isnt required - a heatmat on a stat will suffice.. and the the warm end needs to be around 27-29' and the cool end around 21-24'

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi paul welcome to the forum, appreciate you havent got your snakey yet but this thread is very informative. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the welcome and care info got plenty of stats and mats as breed beardies and you always gotto have spares thanks again

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:22:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,good to see your doing your homework first.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  23:07:41  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, welcome to the forum.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

IdenticalTentacle
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  23:39:59  Show Profile  Visit IdenticalTentacle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello there. i can safely say you wont be a noob for long if you stick around here, everyone's amazingly helpful.

RIP baby Friedrich.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  02:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Paul! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is fantastic having someone join us before they get their snake and to hear that they want to learn as much as they can before getting it. Too many people just walk into a pet shop, buy a snake, get the set-up advised and walk out....then get home and think 'what do I do with this?', or even worse dont think that and just go ahead and mess it up! You are definitely the sort of forum member we welcome with open arms !

The forum provides great information. HannahB and Gmac have linked you to the the best places to look - the care sheet and 'Your 1st Snake'.

Early advice but vital: The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow it to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

Unfortunately, many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I suggest you double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Again - exceedingly early but a necessary warning....there is an unwritten forum rule that you need to know about: pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

And again, well done for doing the research first...it will be a very lucky corn that gets you as its owner!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  14:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  14:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, keep us updated as to when you get your corn!!

Warning- they are seriously addictive...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:18:37  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul, welcome to the forums. You will receive plenty of excellent advise on here so when you do get your corn you will be well prepared. Can't wait to see the pics when you get it

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  09:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again for the welcome, and thanks for the links i have printed off a few different caresheets off the net and looking through them all im sure there will be conflicting info in some and even been down the library to get some books, if you knew me you would be like you library readin, as i said earlier i have been breedin beardies for about 3 years now and have had many clutches and always give out info and caresheets with the babys, i have made many friends through beardies and hope to do the same through corns
thanks for the welcomes etc again

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  09:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by egg80

thanks again for the welcome, and thanks for the links i have printed off a few different caresheets off the net and looking through them all im sure there will be conflicting info in some and even been down the library to get some books, if you knew me you would be like you library readin, as i said earlier i have been breedin beardies for about 3 years now and have had many clutches and always give out info and caresheets with the babys, i have made many friends through beardies and hope to do the same through corns
thanks for the welcomes etc again

You are seriously the sort of corn snake owner we love !! If you are finding conflicting info then dont hesitate to raise it on here as a question and we can try and sort out what is right (I say 'we', when I really mean 'those that know' !!)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  10:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog
You are seriously the sort of corn snake owner we love !! If you are finding conflicting info then dont hesitate to raise it on here as a question and we can try and sort out what is right (I say 'we', when I really mean 'those that know' !!)

xxx

I think you can safely include yourself in this group by now Ju x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  16:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, I will start by standing and saying this
' hi, I am mike, I have over 50 snakes, I can't help it, it just happens!'
I hold no responsibility for you buying loads of snakes and getting totally hooked!
;).
Just kidding, welcome fella, hope you stick with it and enjoy as much as we do.
You are doing the right thing by researching first, a lot of people don't think that far ahead! You will find loads of really useful info on here, I don't think you will find much conflicting stuff, just different opinions, a few have been keeping snakes for a while and have 'ways' sometimes the 'ways' are not totally by the book, but work.
You are in safe hands here for as long as you want to be.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  21:22:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a little late but heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  10:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have done quite a bit of research since my last post on here and am picking up a corn today at some point heres a picture of the snake off the breeder that im collecting [URL=http://s580.photobucket.com/albums/ss249/egg80/beardies/?action=view¤t=normalmotley.jpg][/URL] hope the link works im gettin all excited now lol he said its a normal motley. now all the questions will start lol thanks for all the kind remarks made in this thread from you all and youll be hearing alot from me from now on

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  12:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've come to the right place to pre-educate yourself before bringing your new family member home.[quote]Originally posted by egg80
[

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  16:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
question 1 wheres the best place to order pinkies from on the net ive seen a few but is there a prefered place?
because the shop near me is well expensive for pinkies and they half the price if ordered off the net
paul

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page