New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had Sid out yesterday as he has just shed and I was going to feed him.
I was just selecting a mouse and the Phone rang.Next thing, I see Sid disappear down a hole in the Floor. Now I have to wait until he either pops out on his own or he appears in my downstairs neighbours flat.

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may have been because one of my mice has been getting out of the cage and running around then returning to the cage to eat and sleep, I caught it and it is now in a box.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

348 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer. Maybe set some bottle traps out. If he's due to eat you could smell bait them and as its cold outside check areas that are warmer than the surroundings. I had a Rat snake get out onetime and found him a few days later behind a radiator....good luck

Bottle traps not much good if he's nearly full grown though!!

1.0.0 cash snow corn
0.0.3 koi carp
0.0.18 assorted gold fish
axolotl eggs ready to hatch
0.1.0 Chaco golden knee T
0.1.0 chilli rose pending!

Edited by - n/a on 08/02/2010 19:13:54
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear you've lost a corn... again!

Lesson learnt- don't leave your snake unattended?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  05:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not again Stumpy !!

Sorry, I know this is no laughing matter, but at least you know all the tricks of the trade to find a lost snake and I would assume that he will be hungry so the bottle trap will hopefully work (unless your mouse decides to go for a wander again and then 'mysteriously' disappears !)

Keep us informed, please....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  09:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not leave him unattended he was on my lap, I just was distracted by an inconsiderate phone call.
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Sorry to hear you've lost a corn... again!

Lesson learnt- don't leave your snake unattended?

I have 20 mice at various ages and sizes so if and when he gets too hungry he should come to them.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  11:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Put water bowls down in the room to ensure your corn can access water while on the losse. Dehydration is a lot more of a risk to an escaped snake than anything else.

Plus throw loads of clothes/towels etc on the floor near the place where he escaped. He may hide in them over night and then you can check through the piles in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  16:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put his water bowl down near the hole.
I think LOST maybe the wrong word as I know where he is so he is not lost par se,

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you have an escaped mouse and an escaped snake? hmmm Well the snake has dinner waiting waiting for him.
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

It may have been because one of my mice has been getting out of the cage and running around then returning to the cage to eat and sleep, I caught it and it is now in a box.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  06:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any sign of Sid yet Stumpy?

This was the best link I could find which gives ideas for finding a lost snake...although I know he is technically not 'lost' (and you probably know it all!) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6966

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry too much mate, it happens to us all at some point, if it will make you feel better I can see if I can remember all my escapees over the last couple of years! The bottle trick can work, but it involves leaving mice out, which can get a bit honky in a short space of time! Early mornings and evenings are your best bets, that's when they are the most active, and on the hunt. If you do happen to see him out, block the hole, or he will make a bee line straight back to it!
Leaving clothes out is always a good trick, another is newspaper, especially at night, if its quiet you will hear him move it.
If you have mice, alive ones that is, make damn sure the snake can't reach them, if he does, they will most likely kill him. You wouldn't be the first person to have a snake dangling out the bars with not a lot of head left!! Sorry to be blunt, but with your mice, the snake would stress them a lot, and if they are breeders then they have a bad habit of killing babies, I know its not as bad as a fatal case of death, but there's no point making it more difficult!

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2010 :  18:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen him yet but I have recaptured the mouse, I may be replacing some floor boards soon so He is likely to be recaptured.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  18:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another mouse got out on Monday, I chased it around and could not catch it.
On Tuesday I heard this horrendous Squeal that a mouse makes when it is caught by surprise (i.e when caught by Snake)
I therefore know that Sid has eaten and is OK.
Thursday ( today ) I was cleaning out the Dragon cages and while taking the disinfected cage decoration back to the cages I found Sid on the Hall floor heading for the Radiator.
He is now back in his Hide.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  19:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you got him back safe and sound.

RIP Mickey

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  10:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Havent been on here for a while nor as much as I usually am Stumpy, so only just read that Sid has been found safe and well (even if a mouse had to give its life for Sid!).

That is really good news....and hopefully a lesson to ALL of us on how easy it is to lose our snakes!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000