Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:04:05  Show Profile
i have a cornsnake she is about a year old, at what age can i breed her, she won,t stop crossing tails with my other male snakes. i have had to seperate her. i would like to breed her but thought she was too young. any advice.

eedit moved to breeding section

Edited by - lee2308 on 08/02/2010 18:51:39

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:54:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
hi and welcome to the forum,you have done the right thing seperating them now as she is way to young to breed and you run the risk of killing her.The ideal minium age for a female to breed is 3 years old 300grams in weight and 3' long

Edited by - lee2308 on 08/02/2010 18:55:30
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:18:33  Show Profile
Sounds like you have more than just the 2 corns living together as well- read this
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

She may already be gravid, which as lee has said may kill her.

Good luck.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:40:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
D'OH!

my advice is not to keep corn snakes together (or at all, because your post has well P'd me off). You say you thought she was too young yet you still allow her in with males, which has got to be the most irresponsible thing I have read on here for a very long time.

The only thing you can do now is feed up your female (give her the normal size food you normally would, but every 5 days) and sit tight and hope and pray she makes it through.
Also make sure you have the phone number of a good reptile vet, you may very well be needing it.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  20:43:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
totally agree with eeji in EVERYTHING he's posted above........on a similar principle, if you had a 13 year old daughter would you encourage her to sleep with boys???

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:16:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

totally agree with eeji in EVERYTHING he's posted above........on a similar principle, if you had a 13 year old daughter would you encourage her to sleep with boys???

Agreed, totally iresponsible.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  11:18:38  Show Profile
i agree with the others. Though i did fall into the catagorie of my snake laying eggs at a year old i was told they were both females and housed them together. only one egg survived and casper was under weight though has made a remarkable recovery from weighing 100g in august to now weighing 250g and thriving but she could quite easily have died.The male was put in a different viv it also seems that we thought they got on great together were always curled up. Turned out the male was dominating the female she is a much happier snake now.This forum has helped me alot since joining wish i had joined sooner and casper wouldnt have had to go through the ordeal.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  20:23:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i've been caught out with co-habiting 2 'females' too..........so i speak from experience (as i usually do ) and it's a damn good reason NOT to co-habit..............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:00:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

D'OH!

my advice is not to keep corn snakes together (or at all, because your post has well P'd me off). You say you thought she was too young yet you still allow her in with males, which has got to be the most irresponsible thing I have read on here for a very long time.

The only thing you can do now is feed up your female (give her the normal size food you normally would, but every 5 days) and sit tight and hope and pray she makes it through.
Also make sure you have the phone number of a good reptile vet, you may very well be needing it.

Wow, why do you feel its appropriate to be rude and nasty to people?
You are out of line saying he shouldn't keep snakes at all, totally out of line, this forum is advertised as friendly and helpful, neither you provided there.
I know I am reasonably new, but I don't care, no one else seems to notice what you say, and I don't mean I am picking on you, just you stand out.
The guy hasn't come back now, probably thinks he is gonna get flamed again.
Your reply was typical of rf.u.k, not what I expected here.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:11:47  Show Profile
I think, Mike, that eeji is just expressing what so many of us feel- frustration at people doing completely stupid things.

As you made clear in this post (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8300) its not only eeji who feels this way.

The OP has made a fundamental error of judgement which we are seeing more and more of on here, and tbh, it is seriously flippin annoying!!!

eeji is a very experienced keeper and breeder who has made a justifiable comment in response to an obvious lack of thought and care from the OP. We could all have been a lot ruder, quite often I want to be.

If someone comes on the forum and says "my young female has been in with some males, but I know she's far too small to breed, so oopsie", what do you expect people to say? "Never mind, you may have just killed your snake but I'm sure you've learned your lesson?"

I notice all of what eeji says, and never have a problem with any of it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:49:33  Show Profile
I disagree, when you know nothing of someone and they have only just joined the forum, with their very first post that is not what i would say.
No one can justify saying to someone else they should not keep snakes, no matter how we feel about it.
Yes i find it incredibly frustrating, hence why i made the post, however, i would not, have not, and never would talk to someone like that, who obviously does not know they did wrong. Do it again, then yes, both barrels, its deserved then, but not for a first time, its out of line.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:51:49  Show Profile
But do you not think that seeing as he said himself "I would like to breed her but thought she was too young" that shows a complete lack of responsibility? He obviously knew she was too small, yet still let her in with males.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:03:01  Show Profile
i dont disagree that he was a tit, what i disagree with is how he was treated.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:05:30  Show Profile
Well he was treated how he acted, anyone else who acts like that should expect it. I certainly would.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:08:55  Show Profile
Really? you would expect to be treated like that for asking a question? read the second post, thats how to reply. The guy even said he has separated them, he realised the mistake!!
He asked for advice, not a flaming.
Forums are here to help people, what happened in this thread did not help one little bit.
He hasnt come back, so now you all have lost the chance to help someone be a better keeper, all because he made a mistake.
Make you proud does it???????

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:17:43  Show Profile
I would expect to be treated like that, yes. And I would deserve it. If the OP, or anyone, knows they have a snake to young to breed, then don't put them in with the opposite sex. End of.

A lot of people on here are "one-post wonders", they ask a little advice and then they are satisfied. I have nothing to be ashamed of, and it doesn't bother me that he hasn't come back yet.

What bothers me is not being able to speak your mind without being got at for it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:31:26  Show Profile
Theres speaking your mind, and there is being outright rude. I am not having a go at you, and i dont mean to be rude to you, if i have been i apologise.
However, people should be given the chance, if they prove themselves to be a numpty then fine, if they prove that it was just a stupid mistake ( something we have all done at some point) then fine, its all sorted.

If i am honest, if i was in his position, i wouldnt come back, not to be treated like that anyway.

Look at it like this, if someone asked you a question to your face as a bloke (hypothetical of course) and he was reacted to like that, what do you think the out come would be. I know a number of people that would react very badly to it, and most likely get very stroppy.
I personally word a post as i would word it to someones face, i wouldnt speak to someone face like that for one.

I dont want to get into a huge fight about this, but i dont understand how you can sit there and say he was justified in saying he shouldnt keep snakes at all, thats not a fair comment.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:32:18  Show Profile
Btw, no one deserves to be treated like that, we are human, we make mistakes, its how its dealt with that really matters.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:54:36  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
firstly, i would like to apologise to mikerichards for rattling your cage, and secondly i would like to apologise to everyone on TCS if this post stirs up some emotions.

What I refuse to apologise for is how I replied to the original post. That is how strongly I feel on the subject so that is how i answered.

In fact the OP answered his own question so KNOWS they shouldn't be kept together yet still did. That IMO is paramount to animal cruelty - I do not like people who treat their animals badly so I will tell them straight and I will tell them how it is.

....and tbh, i'd put money on the OP most likely being a troll and succeeding in winding people right up.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 11/02/2010 19:55:03
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:03:45  Show Profile
Maybe so, i dont feel you have done me wrong, so you dont need to apologise to me, i just didnt, and dont agree with people being spoken to like that. This thread has gone this far because thats how strongly I feel about it.
Maybe he was a troll, who knows, but isnt it better to not give them what they want? anyways, enough said, i dont hold any grudges to anyone!
Happy days to all! lol

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:43:56  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

.....i dont hold any grudges to anyone!.......

me neither, lifes too short!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000