Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can corn snakes swim?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  16:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can i run a bath and let him swim i know that the temp should be between 25-30c

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  16:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you want to? To aid a shedding problem or for your enjoyment?

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for shedding and i dont know if he would like to maybe they like to swim?

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they enjoy swimming per say, it should be an exercise to aid shedding. And you shouldn't let the water be deep enough for him to swim as such- it shouldn't be deeper than the girth of the snake.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o ok i just wanted to know maybe he would of liked it? thanks for the help

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem Fernando. I do not think they do like it, having said that when LegLess sheds she sometimes takes a dip in her water bowl.

You have to try to remember though that that occured on her basis- she felt she needed it to shed. By all means give him a bathe if he is a problem shedder or his last shed wasn't great but I wouldn't do it other than for this reason.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 07/02/2010 18:22:18
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  19:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think there are any known species of snake that cant swim.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:05:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I dont think there are any known species of snake that cant swim.

Nope, all snakes can swim, some just like it more than others.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest, why no deeper than the snake itself?? they dont sink! I dont bathe mine very often, but i recently had a spate of mites, which seems to be recurring again!, and i put them in a tub 3/4 full, they dont struggle at all.

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swimming also seems to help snakes defecate. If Alice hasn't pooped 4 days after a feed, she'll go within 60 seconds of being put in a shallow bath of 25°C water.
I think it must have something to do with muscle movement in the water.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  22:38:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Out of interest, why no deeper than the snake itself?? they dont sink! I dont bathe mine very often, but i recently had a spate of mites, which seems to be recurring again!, and i put them in a tub 3/4 full, they dont struggle at all.

because when they've had enough they've go nowhere to go - in the wild they'll only swim to get from A to B, not for the fun of it or for the excercise.
Putting a corn in a too deep bath IMO is just plain stupid and irresponsible

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  23:51:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is putting them in the bath good for exercise, or should it only really be done in aid of a bad shed or to encourage bowl movement?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  02:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not for exercise. For aiding with bad shedding (Tip: I've found if the water bowl is big enough for the snake to curl up in, again no deeper than snake's girth, then they'd normally bathe in that themselves before a shed so bathing them usually isn't necessary- having said that some snakes will need some help)<---- (don't over fill the bowl for this reason) and to aid with bowel movement- which Budaholic rightly pointed out (I forgot to put that in my last post).

Other than that I see no reason to put a land snake such as a corn snake in water. Eeji made a good comment that in the wild they would only delve into water to get from A to B.

EDIT: I'm not too sure why people are mentioning swimming for a corn snake for exercise? I see my lazy cat on the sofa most of the time and I don't think "right then Ned while I run you a bath find your speedos, because your going for a swim!"

Your snake will be (or should be) getting enough exercise in handling sessions (one of the main benefits for the snake during handling) whilst climbing on you/ your body and navigating his or her way over the couch or along the bed or in the grass in summer.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 08/02/2010 02:35:39
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  03:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Ben and Eeji on this one. Corns do not swim for pleasure or exercise in the wild and surely we are trying to replicate those conditions as much as possible. I do take Mike's point that they are capable of swimming, but the problem with baths is that there are no rocks or banks for them to rest on or leave the water from when they have had enough....so therefore the water needs to be just deep enough for them to rest on the bottom when they need to.

Think the only times to bath a snake are when they are in need - following a bad shed and needing the water to loosen the retained shed; if they seem constipated and need help to loosen their bowels before a feed (and that definitely works); and when they have mites....which I have had to do, bathing Kellog every couple of days for over a week - he got used to it and seemed happy enough in the water....but I definitely would only do it if I felt it was necessary.

In regards to exercise, there is no need to bath. If you feel your snake needs more exercise than it is getting during its normal handling then you can build it an obstacle course using boxes or something like that; or you can try them climbing the stairs....but that is really only necessary if you feel your snake is overweight and needs to exercise.

These are just based on my personal opinion and my research into wild corn snake behaviour and captive corns....also my obvious experience of dealing with mites !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:06:58  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno if I got this right but I read on here that bathing a snake can also help in cases where the snake is quite dehydrated as (and I quote) snakes can absorb moisture through their skins by osmosis. All I can say is it certainly helped my Xena when she was dehydrated.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:21:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Dunno if I got this right but I read on here that bathing a snake can also help in cases where the snake is quite dehydrated as (and I quote) snakes can absorb moisture through their skins by osmosis. All I can say is it certainly helped my Xena when she was dehydrated.

How can you tell if a snakes is dehydrated?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  13:28:11  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well Xena had super dry wrinkly skin which she later shed after many baths and two layers of skin came off in one go. Plus she wasnt eating so wasnt extracting any moisture from food. Consequently she drank a lot. It was only after many baths she started to show any signs of improvement and having said that I have only had to bath her once since I had her to help her with a bit of skin that she didnt shed and now she is eating drinks normally and has perfectly shiney skin so it worked for me!

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  19:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi every one thanks for the info! and i just saw my snake drink and WOW it was awesome!

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

hi every one thanks for the info! and i just saw my snake drink and WOW it was awesome!

Yeah its good to watch them drink!

I'm sure you do but as mentioned, snakes bathe in the water too (and poop), so thats why its important to change the water daily.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page