Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had Kratos for almost 6 months now, since pretty much a hatchling, and she desn't like being handled at all.

She doesn't mind my hand veing in the viv, she'll come over and have a look with her tongue flicking etc, and she is fine when I move my hand towards her.

However, the instant I touch her she shies away and usually climbs one of her fake plants. I just think this one is destined to be never be handled!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrMerlin

I've had Kratos for almost 6 months now, since pretty much a hatchling, and she desn't like being handled at all.

She doesn't mind my hand veing in the viv, she'll come over and have a look with her tongue flicking etc, and she is fine when I move my hand towards her.

However, the instant I touch her she shies away and usually climbs one of her fake plants. I just think this one is destined to be never be handled!

So in 6 months you have never handled her?

Just get her out and start with gentle handling for 5-10 minutes, be confident and calm and she will soon learn to tolerate it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Just get her out and start with gentle handling for 5-10 minutes, be confident and calm and she will soon learn to tolerate it.

I've tried, trust me. Every evening when I get home from work I'll stick my hand in and try, and she's always receptive and well behaved until I touch her. I'll be forceful eventually and pick her up but she'll just try and get back in her viv. With her being so small and my lack of experience she is usually the winner. I'll keep trying and I'm hoping one day she'll be big enough to be more manageable so I can gain the upper hand!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  19:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've tried, trust me. Every evening when I get home from work I'll stick my hand in and try, and she's always receptive and well behaved until I touch her. I'll be forceful eventually and pick her up but she'll just try and get back in her viv. With her being so small and my lack of experience she is usually the winner. I'll keep trying and I'm hoping one day she'll be big enough to be more manageable so I can gain the upper hand!

Tbh, the bigger and stronger she gets the more difficult you are going to find it, and the more stressed she will be. I assume you are also feeding her in the viv, so she will find it pretty confusing when suddenly she is expected to be held, outside of her house, and your not bringing her food.

Is there no-one near you that can give you a hand to get her out and start handling?

Make sure when you touch her you are calm but firm- light "tickly" touches and tentative movements will make your snake very very wary of you. Lift the hide, scoop her up quickly and confidently, and just get her out

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  03:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit that I support SexyBear 100% with this MrMerlin - mainly because the longer you leave it not only will it get harder for Kratos but also for you - your confidence will get less and less and you will become more and more frightened. She will immediately pick up on that and react to it.

You need to start getting her out...and do it now and regularly. It only needs to be for about 5 minutes at a time and you need to be as calm and confident as possible - if you dont feel it then fake it!

If I am repeating SB then I apologise, but it needs saying. It is great that she is happy to have your hand in the viv...but now you need to go further. Very calmly and confidently scoop her up, holding her firmly and gently as she WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for her and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Bring her out and just let her run through your hands, one to the next to the next. She will seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both she and you have to get used to. Only do it for a maximum of 5 minutes and then return her gently and calmly to the viv. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in her behaviour as she gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As she gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow.

BUT you do have to get it in there and do it now...or you will land up with an unhandlable snake, which is the last thing you want.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  14:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korn_x

Okay :) Doesn't matter that she doesn't constrict to me, she's still a lovely lady :) Thanks ^^

Its fine if they don't constrict. Although we try to imitate their conditions in the wild i.e. temperatures, hides and husbandary etc. Part of that is argueably mimicing live food. But their behaviour will always vary from one to another; weather it be another captive bred corn or a wild caught corn.

Mine doesn't constrict all of the time and over the years I've had her sometimes she does constrict, sometimes she doesn't. IMO as long as she eats it....

Looking forward to the difference in Ruby's behaviour when you handle her after her shed. She sounds a lot calmer from your posts so I'm sure you'll be fine.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2010 14:06:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  14:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Where abouts are you in the UK?

I think the cause of your problem is because you are, and have been, housing a hatchling in a 3 foot viv!

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2010 14:49:51
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  17:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s
Where abouts are you in the UK?

I think the cause of your problem is because you are, and have been, housing a hatchling in a 3 foot viv!

Sunny (rainy) Cornwall.

This could be the problem but doesn't explain why a very experienced friend of mine (who sold me Kratos in fact) keeps all of his snakes, whatever the age, in large vivs without handling issues. From talking to experts and reading books/internet sources, I'd be more inclined to suggest it's a confidence problem on my part and there's something I'm not doing right. I'll talk to my mate and get him to show me how it's done properly

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  20:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@MrMerlin I have responded to your reply on the other topic you commented on.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  05:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[........ From talking to experts and reading books/internet sources, I'd be more inclined to suggest it's a confidence problem on my part and there's something I'm not doing right. I'll talk to my mate and get him to show me how it's done properly

Have read your replies in the other topic and am so pleased your mate has been in and handled Kratos successfully. Did you manage to handle her while she was out? It is difficult to build up your confidence when you are new to snake handling....I felt that way and I started with a 4' adult!! But you do just have to feel that you are in control and mimic what your friend did.

Just remember though, nearly all new snake owners feel nervous when it comes to handling for the first time...it is something totally outside of your comfort zone and it is with something that is so small and quick and the last thing you want to do is scare it or stress it....but it needs to be done and the more you do it the more both you and Kratos will learn together what it is like to be snake and owner.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000