Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  17:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn snake will always fight me, hes a born warrior, with ones that dont strike you can just handle them and im sure thell get use to you in a matter of weeks, snakes are very demanding when it comes to what they want:).
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luke

My corn snake will always fight me, hes a born warrior

What does that mean?
All corns can be made a lot tamer with correct handling.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  00:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruby doesn't rattle.

Yes she does have a lot of shiny sides thinking about it, although the back isn't I'll cover them up, reading on some other posts corn snakes feel less secure in a big area don't they? I'll get something put up asap.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  16:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and no. It does need to be big enough for the snake i.e. the viv length + one side = snake length. However, obviously if the viv is a lot bigger they will then feel exposed. Hence glass vivs creating an illusion to the snake of a bigger area.

If you cover it as said Rudy will be fine.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  22:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruby =P
Though I'm not sure that 'She' really is a she but I'm not really willing to take her to a exotic animal vet to find out, there isn't one until Carlisle so my knowledge and I think it would be far to stressful. A website told me that a very very long thin tail meant female and a tail that was fairly thick but went thin at the end was male but it's like birds, by that you really can't just say. I've been doing as instructed since I posted, and to be honest shes better already. Shes more relaxed around me, and I'm more relaxed because of it, thanks for all your help I think it's really working out well =]

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  03:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korn_x

I've been doing as instructed since I posted, and to be honest shes better already. Shes more relaxed around me, and I'm more relaxed because of it, thanks for all your help I think it's really working out well =]

I am so glad it seems to be helping, and it is just a case of persistence, patience and confidence. You are obviously already making the first steps and seeing the results, so keep going!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  09:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear is is going so well for you, keep us posted! x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  10:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the above is sound advice. I don't think you have an insecure snake though, merely an enthusiastic feeder. Tail rattling is a warning, its a go away or I will have you type of thing, although 9 times out of 10 they run away.
There are not many snakes that will come to you when you put your hand in, they are not intelligent enough to associate you with safety.
As for sex, you don't need a vet to tell you, just a reasonably experienced person. If you were closer I could do it for you.
Handling wise, always use bare hands, if you get bitten, its because the snake is scared, not because its aggressive. Some snakes are viv defensive, meaning they get stroppy when in, but fine once out. To be honest, a bit from a corn is not as bad as you think, it doesn't really hurt much.
From the sounds of it you have a very well mannered snake that's not interested in having a pop at you, which means it doesn't feel threatened, however, snakes are quite adept at sensing fear, and that can make them uneasy, so be confident and that will instill confidence in her.

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to reassure you, I started handling an adult corn about 6 months ago who had never really been handled before, and had more or-less been black-listed by my colleagues. Baby-steps were good and he is now tolerant (I wouldn't use the word happy) enough to be handled. So much so I got him out for a class of children to look at today (no touching at this stage, still sticking to baby-steps so a couple of minutes and he went back in his viv) and he acted perfectly, and din't try and race away desperatley like he used to.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear your snake was such a good boy Nazzle.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  21:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already said Ruby isn;t a rattler, she's fine like that. I think she would quite happily let me pick her up now, she seemed to actually enjoy having the sock in there, she seemed to enjoy using it as a tunnel. She happily goes about her business whilst I have my hand in, changing her water and rubbing her substrate in my hands now, has a taste obviously. I was intending on trying to hold her but I'm not going to right now because she's shedding...I will however when she's done :) Thankyou for your help!

Another slightly off topic question though, do corn snakes usually wrap around their food to eat it? Someone I know who has a corn said that his does but Ruby doesn't so just out of general scientific curiosity =]

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  21:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns are constrictors, its how they kill their prey, so yes, its normal for them to wrap around it

However, captive bred corns sometimes don't bother with it, though they can be encouraged by waggling the prey in a lifelike manner.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shes never done it, but I know for a fact shes from a captive breeder...we nearly bought another today because the shop closed down and we couldn't bear the thought of the poor little snake having to travel to go back to the person who bred it..unfortunately we didnt know until today and with the other 30 pets we have there really wasn't room :(

So it's probably just from captive breeding then?

Edited by - n/a on 20/02/2010 22:02:47
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep.

Most corns are captive bred, WC specimens are rare nowadays because there are so many desirable morphs out there.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  22:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay :) Doesn't matter that she doesn't constrict to me, she's still a lovely lady :) Thanks ^^

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you feed her is she taking the rodent from tongs or are you dropping it in front of her? If taking from tongs don't release the rodent straight away. Make her work for it and you'll find that she will start throwing coils around it after a few goes.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  08:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight is now 7 months old and every time I wiggle his food for him to no avail. Last night for the first time he made a vague attempt at coiling so I didn't let go of the mouse and had a little tug of war with him - and he finally constricted - yay. As Paulusworm said, do the mousy dance each time and Ruby may one day go for it - it's really cool to watch!

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  09:36:55  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just make sure not to pull too hard or you could damage snakey's teeth. More a case of resisting rather than pulling .

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  10:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog has always been a lazy feeder - whereas Silvesta is just vicious...that poor mouse doesnt stand a chance with him!!! But I have been working with Kellog....teasing him more with the mouse and hanging onto it that bit longer, and it worked as he will now coil and constrict (slightly, but better than nothing!)

Paulusworm's warning is a good one though, make sure you let go so that you doing risk damage to the snake's teeth - it is better that they eat and have a full set of teeth; than they strike, coil and constrict and land up toothless !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  14:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just make sure not to pull too hard or you could damage snakey's teeth. More a case of resisting rather than pulling .

Yep, totally agree. That's what I meant but I didn't word it very well.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000