Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you go about taming an adult corn snake? Just out of curiosity.

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a lot of tlc, patience and gloves

it really is a case of taking it slowly..getting them used to you and being touched..and then its baby steps and treating them like a hatchling - 5mins every days and letting it build up slowly from there over a period of time.. it wont be quick and it might be a case of one step forwards two steps back over the first few weeks but it can be done

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  22:59:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kaz or Lewy are the ideal people to answer this one!!

Trilby was a bit of a handful when they first got him but with time and patience he even appeared at a Rep Night last year

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shes kind of tame already, I can put my hand in without any issue at all but she doesnt seem keen on coming onto my hand at all and to be honest, i dont really want to just pick her up she may get scared. Shes certainly not an agressive snake and I don't want to have to wear gloves because I want her to know scent but other than putting my hand in and letting her have a taste I'm not sure what to do. Do I just be patient?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, shes very curous as in she darts out to look when I open her tank but when i put my hand in she either stays stock still or goes away or like just a bit ago goes under my hand for a taste. Im no good at snake body lingo!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest a lot of what you are saying doesn't seem to indicate a bad tempered snake! As when your hand enters her domain, she accepts it. If she was aggressive she would either strike, mock strike or at the very least rattle her tail. With regard to the latter, does this occur? (She'll vibrate her tail really fast against the floor usually, which is a sign they feel threatened and are trying to say go away.

But to answer your question in short, snakes can't be "tamed" in the dog or cat sort of way.... They just learn to accept and tolorate handling and human contact. Having said that, when a snake is very used to regular contact they can seem very "content" having the contact.

You mentioned you wish her to get to know your scent- the best thing for this is to enter the viv each day, not to touch her, but after you change the water pick a couple of handfuls of substrate (beech chippings going by your photo) and rub them in your hands and put back on the floor of the viv. This will leave your scent in the viv, she'll get used to this quite quick. Some people (with royal pythons mostly) put a worn t-shirt in the viv after wearing it in the day and leave over night (as long as you don't mind the possibility of a soiled shirt!). Take out the next morning and repeat the next night. Repeat for a week. They will also learn your scent just by being in your house anyway but the points I just made will put a stronger amount of your scent in there! Although its important for them to become used to your smell, the best thing is regular contact and perseverance.

You also said she "darts out" when you open the viv- this is very normal also. When you put your hand in and she stays still or goes away, they are both actions of an unsure snake- fight or flight! (corns normally always take flight!)

Other than that and what Hannah said before about baby steps and short handling periods and gradually increasing it, bear in mind they are different to other pets in behaviour as well and you should be fine. She'll be "tame" in the snake sense of the word in no time!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 06/02/2010 23:44:38
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay,thank you very much! Id happily put a piece of clothing in I was always scared sh would end up stuck or something but obviously, a snake isn't a fish haha! I've had my hand in plenty the past few days, I'll pop a bit of clothing in for her to smell and I'll try picking up her substrate and rubbing it in between my hands. It's clear shes not aggressive she doesn't rattle her tail at me whatsoever, I think she's probably curious but a little nervous! Thanks =]

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing, the door is fairly close to her water bowl [Well one of the doors!] and she's happy to have a drink from her water bowl whn my hand is touching it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korn_x

Okay,thank you very much! Id happily put a piece of clothing in I was always scared sh would end up stuck or something but obviously, a snake isn't a fish haha! I've had my hand in plenty the past few days, I'll pop a bit of clothing in for her to smell and I'll try picking up her substrate and rubbing it in between my hands. It's clear shes not aggressive she doesn't rattle her tail at me whatsoever, I think she's probably curious but a little nervous! Thanks =]

What you put a t shirt in your fish tank!? (Joke)

Yeah she seems non aggressive, just getting used to you and nervous as you said.

Try the suggestions and give it a week and let us know the progress!?

PS. I changed my last post slightly to make more sense.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korn_x

Another thing, the door is fairly close to her water bowl [Well one of the doors!] and she's happy to have a drink from her water bowl whn my hand is touching it.

Thats encouraging then. If she was that bad she would stop immediatelty.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll let you know!! She always comes to the side of the viv im sat at [shes sort of near my computer but not totally] I think the main issue is that we are nervous of each other! I know she was handled before I bought her, I became slightly upset about putting my hand in after she jumped don her mouse before I had put it on the floor of her viv in her feeding area, It somehow managed to make me scared even though she blatantly only went for the mouse and taming became harder and harder, my own fault =[ but it wasnt very long ago and I'm going to try make it back into the handling stage again.
edit: You have a good eye for substrate! it is beech =]

Edited by - n/a on 06/02/2010 23:55:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  00:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I know it can be hard but the more confidence you show the easier it is, snakes can pick up on nervousness. Yes the striking was purely a feeding response so try not to worry. Also when feeding in the viv, make sure you put something on top of the beech chippings to reduce the chances of him swallowing any.

Keep at it, keep your movements slow, firm and confident and he'll learn who's boss! though I think he seems to be well on his way!

Good luck, Ben.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  05:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben has really answered all your questions Korn (and very well answered !!).

I just have a few things to add. Firstly, regarding the clothing in the viv...I saw a very good suggestion on here (think it was Skorps, but not sure) and that was to put a knee high worn sock in the viv, with the foot end chopped off. That way the snake can get your scent (and not your sweaty foot scent ) and there is no worry about the snake getting caught up in any extra material.

I always fiddle with my snakes' substrate whenever I change their water, so every morning...just airing it and checking for poo, but really to spread my smell around their viv. Also, when I go to handle them I go in slowly, and again I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Neither of my corns come onto my hand...wanting to be picked up. It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. I know some of the forums' corns do this, but not all...so dont worry if she doesn't. When you do pick her up try not to come at her from above, but rather scoop her up from the sides....that will scare her less.

I, personally, would avoid gloves if possible. You are wanting her to get used to your smell and the touch and warmth of your skin, and gloves are just a barrier to that. Having said that, if you are so scared about being bitten that the only way you are happy to handle her is to wear gloves then that is the way to go. Hopefully, in time, you would be able to feel confident enough to handle her without the gloves. I must admit that I would miss the feel of the snake gliding through my hands - they feel so amazing!

It really does sound as though she is not an aggressive or feisty snake, just getting used to you as you are getting used to her. She will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make her more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and she will respond positively to that. Her reaction when you go to pick her up does sound like a fear response...but that will lessen with time, especially as she does sound friendly. How is she once you have got her out and are actually handling her?

Now I can talk from actual experience. I took on Silvesta about 6 weeks ago. His previous owner only handled him a few times a week, with a glove after being bitten, and he was very obviously underfed. When we went to see him the owner got him out with the glove and Silvesta was all over the place trying to escape...I immediately took him from his owner (with my bare hands) and within a few minutes his movements had calmed down. I think he was truly picking up on the vibes of his previous owner that he was scared of him. Since having him I treated him as a hatchling, giving him the week to settle in and then only handling him twice a day for a maximum of 5 minutes, less if he was showing signs of stress. To begin with he would try to escape when I went to get him out of his viv (and caused total chaos spreading substrate everywhere!) but now he will let me pick him up without fleeing from me. The handling sessions have lengthened and he has become accustomed to me running him through my hands and letting him roam my body. I am now able to let him explore a bit, although I always keep a hand on him because he is exceedingly fast and I know that if he decided to he could escape before I could get near him to catch him.

There is one comment of Ben's that I am not so sure of...and that is the one about showing her who is boss! I certainly dont feel that I am the boss of my snakes and I totally respect the fact that they are 'wild' animals that are in my care and I have the privilege to handle. You certainly cant train them, as you would a dog, they will go where they want to and all you can do is stop them and bring them back to you - although if they are as stubborn as Kellog then they will just keep returning to where they want to go no matter how often you move them away! I think it is more a case of mutual respect rather than one being a boss and the other being a 'pet'...(sorry Ben, just my personal opinion!)

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will she trust you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:23:23  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cant really add to any of that it all been layed down brilliantly. You should have all the info you need Korn

good luck

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  13:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, the sock ideas a great one and I'm lucky enough to have one odd knee high hahaha =]

Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you feed in the viv or outside? If you feed inside, that could be why she darts out when the viv is opened.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  14:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note- from your sig it looks like your viv has got at least 3 glass sides?

If this is the case then your snake may be feeling a little insecure. Try covering some sides to make her feel safer, and this may stop the tail rattling.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

There is one comment of Ben's that I am not so sure of...and that is the one about showing her who is boss!......... I think it is more a case of mutual respect rather than one being a boss and the other being a 'pet'...(sorry Ben, just my personal opinion!)

quote:
Keep at it, keep your movements slow, firm and confident and he'll learn who's boss!

I meant in terms of you lead and he'll follow i.e. in the context of confidence (as per the start of the sentence)- you start by showing some confidence and the snake will pick up on the fact you are not so nervous.

Sorry if you read it that way.

LegLess is the boss of me ! Off to feed her now in fact. She's definately hungry after her "re-homeing settling in week"

1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 07/02/2010 18:05:41
Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  18:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with Hannah B

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  04:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

There is one comment of Ben's that I am not so sure of...and that is the one about showing her who is boss!......... I think it is more a case of mutual respect rather than one being a boss and the other being a 'pet'...(sorry Ben, just my personal opinion!)

quote:
Keep at it, keep your movements slow, firm and confident and he'll learn who's boss!

I meant in terms of you lead and he'll follow i.e. in the context of confidence (as per the start of the sentence)- you start by showing some confidence and the snake will pick up on the fact you are not so nervous.

Sorry if you read it that way.

LegLess is the boss of me ! Off to feed her now in fact. She's definately hungry after her "re-homeing settling in week"

I should be the one to apologise Bengy...was probably just one of my brain fog moments ! It was done at 5.30 in the morning! I do understand what you mean and I have really just repeated what you already said...so good advice, well done !

Think SB's point is a good one Korn, if the viv is glass sided then it is probably feeling very insecure and unsafe. Definitely follow her advice and make sure the back and sides are covered - you can even use newspaper until you can get something like aquarium paper. Just tape it to the outside of the viv to make her feel more safe and secure and less exposed.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Kellog! Yeah I've noticed you're on at really early hours!

Ditto about the glass viv being covered.

1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page