What are the signs of stress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:10:24  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ello all and thanks for looking...

Both my two are super chilled snakes and I have never seen any behaviour from them that I could logically conclude was stress induced. Therefore the question is this...

Are there any behavioural signs IE body language that is conclusively caused by stress to the snaks?

Often it is too late before inexperienced keepers notice a change in behaviour so I am asking with the hope some experienced keepers can give us newbies an insight to this

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  18:23:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the most serious signs i think are unnatural aggression and suddenly refusing to feed, although both of these can be caused by other factors.
other things like tail rattling and pooing all over you can also be put down to stress

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  19:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think that any reverse change in behaviour can be attributed to stress-

an active snake hiding away all day, a calm snake suddenly biting, a relaxed snake zooming about its viv etc.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  20:18:52  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys as usual imput very usefull. Both my snakes drop do-dos on us but otherwise they dont show any other signs of stress and as I have read on here its quite common to get danged on. My Mrs tends to get hit more than me tho it has to be said I been quite lucky.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  22:49:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what people have to remember is that snakes don't actually like being handled and petted, so the dumping on you is their way of trying to get you to let them go.

If people want a pet to 'pet' then they should go and buy a kitten

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:23:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry but I dont wholey agree with that. I think some snakes do get used to being handled, some dont. Its not natural to them agreed but some do get used to it I think it depends on the snake One of mine Xena crawls onto your hand if you lay it flat in front of her so she is no way afraid of being handled. My other one Colin will come out of his Viv to me and does not shy away from anyone he knows. The amount of time he is handled is mainly done on his terms and he comes out about 3 to 4 times a week. For what its worth I personally think it depends on the snake and how much you handle them. I think they eventually "get used" to being handled and it doesnt seem bother them.
One thing I do agree with though is snakes are NOT the same as kittens or any other pet that you can pet and need to be regarded as what they are...essentially a wild animal that will never be fully domesticated and I think for me that is part of the attraction. Getting a wild animal to interact with you on their terms if far more rewarding than say stroking a cat. .
Also my snakes do not dump on us all the time. There has been plenty of times when both of them have been due to dump and have had very noticable bulges by their vent and we have got them out expecting to be used as a toilet but it hasnt happened. Whilst that alone does not dismiss the theory that snakes dump on you because they want you to leave them alone it does throw some inconsistancy into the boiling pot. IMO my snakes dump on me because they need a dump and happen to be out at the time.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a difference behind the thinking that snake "like" being handled, and that snakes "tolerate" it.

Of course they tolerate it, but I don't believe there is a single snake in the world that actually WANTS to be held.

If I open the doors on Casper's viv, he will come out because he wants to explore. If I then hold my hand in the doorway, he will climb onto it. Again, he wants to come out, not be held. I am in his way.

My cat gets used to having his mats brushed out- he doesnt like it though.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:44:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
agreed that sometimes its just unnfortunate that you cop for their last meal down your shirt, it can't always be said thats a stress thing.
I also agree that some snakes will get used to being handled and will learn that you're not a threat.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:45:28  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree with that SB. By "get used to" I meant in essence tolerate. When I say handled I mean out. We dont nessesarilly handle our snakes its more time outside the viv exploring. The only time they are handled when they are out is when they are getting too far away or in danger if disappearing somewhere like down the back of settee.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  10:48:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am with you eeji. I totally agree that snakes are wild animals not domesticated in any way and thats how they should stay. To be fair we only handle our snakes because we have to so that when we do have to get them out (for feeding and such like) we dont stress the animal out too much and or get bitten. For me at least the enjoyment is mainly watching them inside the viv going about their snakey lives totally safe and not messed with.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:13:08  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to rant on but IMO its always going to be a compromise on the snakes part. It all to easy to walk into a shop these days and say "Can I have a snake mate" and walk out half an hour later with a viv in one hand and a corn in a box in the other and a head full of no knowledge. I know I fell into that trap meself. Sure I read a whole bunch of caresheets but I didnt know about this forum before I got Colin if I had and been on here I would have done things a whole lot differently. Theres soo much more info and knowledge on here that just isnt covered in caresheets. To be fair I may not have even got Colin but I am glad I did because if i hadnt bought him some other berk might have wandered into the shop and took him away. With the help of you guys and all the advice I have had on here at least I have been able to give him and Xena good homes where that compromise is not TOO much of a compromise if you know what I mean.
The thread we have in this forum on I have got my cornsnake what do i do now? is fine but i think we need another sticky on "I am going to buy a cornsnake what do I do now? and top of that list should be get involved in the forum and read a lot.
Thats it i will shut up now Sorry.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000