New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

izzy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do i need in set up plse expect to get a 3 ft corn shortly have a viv 3 x 2 x 2

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

this si the basic care sheet..
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

but you need... het mat WITH a stat..cant express how important a stat is!!
plenty of hides and coverage.. 888reptiles.com have some good hides and fake plants
substrate.. paper or aspen seem to be the most commonly used ones on here but auboise and hemp are becoming more popular
water bowl (obvious reasons..)
with a viv that size heightwise you could get some branches from a pet store and put them in so your new snake can explore the ceiling of the viv aswell as the floor

hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:55:12  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Like Hannahe said, you really need to make sure you get a stat. Sometimes when you go to a pet shop they don't include stats in their starter kits and often say that you don't need them when in actual fact you do. An unstatted mat can get dangerously hot and can cause severe damage if not kill your snake.

A Basic set up would consist of your viv or faun depending on size of snake, a heat mat which takes up atleast 1/3 of tank, a thermostat, 2 hides and water bowl.

If there is anything else you need to know, you can use the search feature in the top right corner. If you can't find what your looking for then don't hesitate to ask, there are loads of experienced members who are happy to help.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 04/02/2010 20:31:34
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  19:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

1 Carolina Corn- Wizard, 1 Anery corn- Epi, 1 snow corn Casper
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  21:13:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

all the info is on here a hundred times already................

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  22:33:45  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  02:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Izzy! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is great you are already asking questions so that you can be ready for when you get your corn. I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. HannahB has already directed you to the best place to look which is the care sheet, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am not sure when you are getting your snake but this is vital info for when you do get it - The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow it to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means your corn can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

It looks like HannahB and Danny have answered all your questions about what you need to set up your viv. I will repeat how necessary it is to have a thermostat to control your heatmat so you can ensure that the temps within the viv remain at a safe level for your snake. I will also add that it is vital that you also get a digital thermometer to monitor the warm side of the viv, as often stats cannot be trusted and it is good to have a separate way to check what the temp of the substrate is...as that is where your snake will be getting all its heat from.

Unfortunately with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . Double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Danny has mentioned the first place to look, which is the search button - in the top right hand corner of the screen. Type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

izzy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  08:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx alot everyone, a few more questions to ask how far up should the lights and basking lamp be, also have bought a heat mat that goes under the viv is this ok.
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  10:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by izzy

Thx alot everyone, a few more questions to ask how far up should the lights and basking lamp be, also have bought a heat mat that goes under the viv is this ok.

Hi and welcome Izzy! As corns obtain all of their heat from the ground, as basking lamp is not really required. Any other lighting is really for our benefit only (so we can see them!). A normal incandescent bulb is fine for lighting the viv and it should be fitted fairly high up the viv. Please note that any light fittings must be protected with a fine mesh light guard to stop snakey getting near or touching the bulb which could cause serious burns. (Corns can be quite the climbers so are likely to get near the bulb.) Bulb guards can be bought from any good reptile stockist and are fairly cheap and easy to fit.

Your heatmat should cover approximately 1/3rd to half of the viv and must be connected to a thermostat. A basic on/off type will be fine for the heatmat. The thermostat probe should sit on the heatmat to ensure that the heatmat does not get too hot. You should also have a digital thermometer to measure the temps accurately. Usually, the thermometer probe should be tied to the stat probe with an elastic band to ensure that the thermostat is controlling the mat correctly and keeping the temps at the correct level.

If you have a wooden viv, the heatmat will go inside the viv underneath the substrate. You can cover the mat with a piece of lino or seal it down with aquarium sealant to make sure that snakey can't get underneath the mat. If you have a glass or plastic viv, the heatmat will need to go outside the viv (underneath).

There is some further information regarding heating and thermostats in the caresheet.

Hope this helps!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000