Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  07:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rite, yesterday my 3ft viv came for monty. i havent biult it yet but i have lots of questions.

1. once i have assembled the viv and everything how do i get the heat mat in. whats the best way for the cable to go. to drill a small whole at the bottom to feed all the wires through or to just use the wholes at the top of the viv and lead the cables to the floor.

2. i have read about putting something over the heat mat. is this needed. do i need to put something like lino over the heat mat if so then could i put it across the whole viv.

i think thats it but i might think of more. going snakey shopping tonight to get loads of new stuff. yeyeyeyey.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  08:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I recently got a 3 stack 3ft vivs a while ago I just feed the wires through the top hole, obviously you need to take the plug casing off to get it through to hole quite simple however if you dont feel up to it im sure you could find someone to take it off, not sure about having things over it for my corny its under some substrate just got to ensure your corn snake dosnt burrow there really my hides over it and its like a cut out ice cream container so its still got the bottom layer so my snakes not going to get burnt. Youll have to ask some more experienced people wether or not you really need the tiles and things over it for me its not a big issue.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  10:15:02  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I have a few issues with the whole vinyl tile thing. If something goes wrong with the heatmat (and they do break eventually) its a hell of a job to remove a stuck down tile before you can get to the mat. Also its fine if you are setting up a viv beforehand but with colin I already have his viv set up so if I adopt the tile method I will have to have him out of the viv while the sealant dries. To me its not an issue as I have a big heavy hide right over where the mat is and it would be very hard for colin to get underneath the mat. I have thought about perhaps putting a sheet of vinyl over the whole floor of the viv but then the distribution of heat would change. So far I havent had any problems with colin burrowing as he isnt a burrower. A freind of mine has a sheet of pegboard right over the bottom of the viv but again this has potential issues as not all of the hardboard is sealed so urine etc could potentially soak into the wood. I havent thought of an easy access solution yet but I have had colin six months now and not had any issues but then my mat is correctly statted and never gets above 30 degrees.
Just my personal opinion I know a lot of you will disagree but thats what this forum is all about

cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think putting a tile, or anything for that matter over your heatmat is a total waste of time and money. If your mat is correctly statted then no harm will come to your snake.

None of my guys have EVER been spotted under their heatmats, they each have a warm hide and a little substrate, and thats it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try reading these topics Danny and they should answer your questions -

Regarding the placement of the mat and where to place wires: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8152

Regarding how to 'attach' mat to bottom of viv:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8166

Am surprised you havent already read them.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 04/02/2010 12:31:47
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:50:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have thought of a solution that I am toying with perhaps if anyone has any ideas on it....

First get a piece of vinyl (or if you can afford it perspex) and measure the exact size of the inside of your viv. Cut the vinyl to the exact size so it fits snuggly inside the viv with no gaps. (you may have to cut a small notch for the heatmat cable. Then work out roughly where your heatmat is under the tile (this can be done easily if you are using perspex as you can see it) Then drill a series of small holes so you "perforate" the area where the heatmat is thus creating a warm spot and preventing heat dispacement under the substrate.
Lay the finished product on the floor of you viv and subsrate over that. You then have a snake proof panel you can quickly lift out to get access to the heatmat. Also if you use perspex you can flip it over if you ever want to swap the warm cold end of your viv.
Job done.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  12:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I think putting a tile, or anything for that matter over your heatmat is a total waste of time and money. If your mat is correctly statted then no harm will come to your snake.

None of my guys have EVER been spotted under their heatmats, they each have a warm hide and a little substrate, and thats it.

I have thought this a couple of times Sexy Bear, even if a snake did get under a mat, and it was statted to 30c, then it would be no different than it being on top of the mat would it?

What is the reason for people suggesting using lino etc on top of the mat?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Edited by - Gaz_1989 on 04/02/2010 14:10:09
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:06:07  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good point Gaz I wouldnt mind knowing meself

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:13:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another point worth mentioning in this thread re the cabling issue if you cut the moulded plug off the end of a heatmat you invalidate the warrenty so if it goes wrong within a year theres very little chance of the retailer replacing it. The same would apply if its got silicone stuck to I would imagine.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats very true elament. Even if they arent molded then there is usually a little 'safety' sticker over one of the screw holes and you have to break this sticker to take the case off the plug, hence invalidating the warrenty.

Can anyone assist with the above about if a snake was to get under the mat?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  13:38:30  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Gaz I now know I have invalidated my warrenty as I have pierced the little sticker. Cheers Mate LOL

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  14:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, sorry buddy! lol.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  14:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally would put something to prevent them getting directly onto the mat incase the stat probe gets knocked off the mat and therefore keeps the stat on - does that make sense? if the stat probe gets knocked off then the heatmat could get way too hot and poor snakey could get burnt if its on the mat directly..
having said that i just have paper over my heatmats in the royal's vivs, they arent particularly active atm so i havent put anything else over it

edited to also add..

Danny is it a premade viv or are you putting it together? my viv came from 888 and the directions i got given with it said to put it in with the holes at the bottom.. if there is no guide and you are putting it together yourself just put the holes side in at the bottom

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 04/02/2010 15:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  15:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what your saying hannah yeh.

I suppose its a good idea in case of malfunction on part of the stat?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  15:08:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thas a good point I have my probes attached to the surface of the mat so they dont move but if the stat malfunctioned...but then wouldnt the vinyl tile eventually get hot enough to burn the snake? (if the mat was on full say)

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:42:44  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just had this from the bloke at eurorep who make mats and stats....
The probes for both stat and thermometer should be attached to the mat. It makes no odds which way up you put the mat as it works the same both ways. The reason why snakes shouldnt be allowed to get under a mat is because underneath it there sometimes is an air pocket which gets hotter than the mat does due to the contact between the warm mat and the melamine covered chipboard of the viv as chipboard is a good conducter of heat it is possible (he said possible) that a patch under the mat could theoretically get hotter than the surface of the mat. He said and I qoute there are various ways of making sure a snake cannot get underneath the mat but the biggest no no is when the snake gets under the mat and cannot escape (if for instance you taped it down and it somehow still got under) He said if the snake can still move the mat and it can escape it will get uncomfortable and move however if it is trapped there prolonged exposure to the heat would do it damage and or possibly kill it.
He said the best way to use the equipment was to have little or no substrate over the mat and regulate the tempreture of the mat by having both stat and thermo probes attached to the mat.
Just thought id pass that on

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff elament, thanks for posting it up.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  16:49:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No worries my pleasure

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  17:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i second what sb said.. very useful - thanks for posting it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  17:16:04  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
really not a problem I just thought they would be the best people to ask seeing as they make em. Incidently he suggested attaching the probes to the mat with glue not sealant as sealant also conducts heat really well and can lead to the stat being off by a degree or so. i got the end of mine attached to a heavy hide so the tips are in direct contact with the mat with nothing inbetween. Works a treat!

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  17:16:33  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks elament, that is a useful reference.

My cable holes are at the top as the instructions told me, wish I had thought about it before I put it together. Thats what I get for reading instructions lol

The heatmat I am using for my new viv is one which came with Alice when I adopted him so wouldn't be able to claim on the waranty anyway. Its a very good point to consider when setting up a viv tho

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000