Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again folks,

Might be stupid, but I know you shouldn't really handle for 48hrs after feeding, so it doesn't cause regurgitation (sp?), also that it is good to feed outside the viv, to stop the chance of impaction, so... bearing that in mind, (sorry about how silly this is), how do you get your snake back in the viv after feeding outside the viv???

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you feed in a tub then you can just gently tip them back out, or gently scoop them up being careful not to put too much pressure on the bump

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol makes sense now, thanks Hannah! I feel silly now lol, but best to know for sure :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont feel silly - its a valid question worth asking
you dont ask you dont get!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:21:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
picking your corn up after feeding and placing it straight back into it's viv isn't the same as playing with it for half an hour

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair point!! lol thanks.

Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay thats fair do's but someone my mate knows said as long as its past the spine, they cant regurge it, after my mates 1 - 2 foot corn fed on a fuzzy he had it out for a couple of hours and it didnt re-gurge, and this boy seems like a reptile expert! how true is this?
(i know its best for 48 hrs, just curious why?)

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:05:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how can it be 'past the spine' when the spine runs the full length of the snake's body???

and i'd say he got lucky............

and isn't much of an expert!

Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have no idea, its how he came across to me that he knew quite a bit, and he's had alot of experience with not just snakes but lizards and other reptiles.
oh well, i aint that stupid anyway, asuka's meal is riding on the risk!

Lowestoft, Suffolk

3 Corn Snakes
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:10:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's easy to spot a bull***ter when you know more than them

anyone can sound like they know what they're on about and 'talk the talk' if the other person isn't sure on the subject/facts

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/02/2010 23:11:56
Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  23:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha yeah i guess so!
sorry for the silly question its just he said that and the snake didnt regurge and just basically fell asleep wrapped around his arm so i grew suspicious
after all its what the forums here for!

Lowestoft, Suffolk

3 Corn Snakes
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  04:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarnes92

ha yeah i guess so!
sorry for the silly question its just he said that and the snake didnt regurge and just basically fell asleep wrapped around his arm so i grew suspicious
after all its what the forums here for!

Josh, it wasnt a silly question and it was good to bring up because I am sure others sometimes wonder the same thing or are given 'expert' advice that needs to be checked out with REAL experts. You have shown exactly what this forum is here for...so well done !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JB, i have some kitchen towel in the bottom of my rub and once Steve has finished i just lift up the kitchen towel and place him back in his viv that way.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Mom.. while they're small anyway, or are you using bounty kitchen roll??!! hehe :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

That's a good idea Mom.. while they're small anyway, or are you using bounty kitchen roll??!! hehe :)

Lol no just tesco's own

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen people cover the viv's substrate in kitchen roll and feed on top of that, in the viv? Any thoughts on doing this??

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  15:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you take your RUB and put it in the viv the snake normally crawl out! that how i get diablo out.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  15:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I alwasy gently scoop Snickers up and put her into the viv as close to a hide as possible so she can hide quickly.[quote]Originally posted by Fal

Hi again folks,

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  04:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

I've seen people cover the viv's substrate in kitchen roll and feed on top of that, in the viv? Any thoughts on doing this??

You can do that Jonathan, especially while they are young...but it does become harder when they get bigger and they start striking, coiling and constricting. I think it is still best to try and feed them outside the viv if possible.

I feed both my adults outside their vivs, just wait until their 'dinner' is about halfway down, then pick them up gently - supporting them either side of the bump (one third down from head, one third up from tail) - and let them slide supported into their viv.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  21:37:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Fal

You can do that Jonathan, especially while they are young...but it does become harder when they get bigger and they start striking, coiling and constricting. I think it is still best to try and feed them outside the viv if possible.

all it takes is for the snake to drag the mouse off the kitchen roll or paper that's been put down for them............and potentially down goes a lump of substrate. how great the risk is depends on what substrate you're using, anything that's big chunks like orchid bark or large beech chippings really isn't worth the risk for me

Edited by - gingerpony on 04/02/2010 21:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  22:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alice completely refuses to take prey outside her viv.
I put her mouse in a large clear RUB in her viv and remove it when she's eaten and gone off to sleep somewhere.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000