New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  08:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big do you think a corn needs to be to be comfortable in this size viv?

And what is the minimum size that you would reccomend putting a corn in with loads of hides and plants etc.

Stella is 36g and approx 2' long, not sure on length though, will no better when she sheds in the next couple of days.

I have got a Viv Exotic VX36 and i just want to know when she will be okay to go in it, there's no rush, ive just got it to be prepared.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  09:27:05  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Colin came with a 36x15" which I put him in straight away. At the time he was a yearling and about 27" long and to be fair at the time I didnt know better. However having said that he was absolutely fine (although he is ultra laid back not much fazes him) however I didnt see him much for the first three weeks or so (he fed as normal during that time). Once he had settled in he was (and still is) out and about most nights. To add to that when I first set up his viv it was pretty sp**** (again didnt know better) with just two hides and a big water bowl. It was about the same time that I got two big branches and a load of hanging plants and put them all in that he started to come out and feel secure.
To add to the mix I have Xena in an rub inside her viv which is 24"x12". The other night I didnt secure the rub lid properly and she escaped into her viv. Rather than scoop her up and put her back in I just sat and watched her for a few mins to see what she would do and for the next ten mins or so I watched her slowely peruse around the viv taking her time exploring it. There was no fast movements or nervy response just a leisurely look around. Again the constant here is her viv is "ready to go" and has lots of hides and plants etc for her to get cover in and she was fine so all I can deduce from my experience is the key seems to be lots of cover.

Hope that helps

Edit Just wanted to add that both my snakes are really laid back. The same may not apply to a nervous snake.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/02/2010 09:32:02
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  10:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot mate.

Stella is ultra-laid back, like you say yours are. Nothing seems to bother her and she is really chilled out.

Dont want to rush her though, she is 8 months old.

What are other peoples experiences?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  10:23:55  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WHy dont you try what happened with Xena pop her in and let her have a look around and see what she does?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  10:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh i think i will mate.

The viv isnt quite ready yet, still got to get another hide and a bit more decor, aswell as seal it all around.

But when it is, i deffo will, put her in, in her faun and let her 'escape' into the viv and see what she does.

Thanks alot

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  11:31:52  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No worries mate. I am going to let Xena loose in her viv again tonight for a little while. When the time is right I am going to leave a little gap in the lid of the RUB and let her choose where she wants to be that way if she dont like it she can always go back inside the RUB where she feels safe. Maybe you should try to introduce stella the same way if your faun will fit inside the viv.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big is Xena now mate?

I will do this yeh, the faun fits in the viv fine.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  13:31:27  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She is 13" long and now getting pretty chunky in the middle. coming on leaps and bounds every day mate I am well pleased she will be a stunner when she is colins size

Editted to ad....to think it wasnt that long ago I was saying IF she gets to Colins size

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 05/02/2010 13:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  14:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wicked, sounds great mate.

I will wait till the viv is all set up and ready, maybe 2 weeks, and see how she goes if i put her faun in there with the lid off or loose.

Ta

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  14:25:11  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thing is Gaz I wouldnt recommend it for all snakes but she is so chilled out I had only had her two days and she crawled onto my hand to say hello she is that laid back. Colin is the same too he is super chilled. I guess I just got lucky and got two hippy snakes lol.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000