New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been wondering about 2 things, when i buy a big viv for Blaze (at the moment is in his little plastic faunairum thingy...think thats what they're called).

The first thing; Does the heat mat get positioned under the wooden viv, OR above the woodn (i.e. inside the viv, under the substrate). (Pretty sure its under the wood, but just wana be sure)

My 2nd Question; If the heat mat is under the vivarium, will the wooden base mean the heat transfere is less efficient? The thin plastic base of his current home is alot thinner than 1cm or so of wood....so does that mean the stat will have to be set a few degrees higher than it should be to get the required temps?

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, LOL!
Thanks in advance

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mat should go inside the wooden viv under the substrate, with the stat probe in direct contact with the mat.

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

The mat should go inside the wooden viv under the substrate, with the stat probe in direct contact with the mat.

right ok....was worried it wud burn him! u know if he decides to burrow right under the aspen+lie on it. Didnt know if prolonged direct contact would burn him or summat

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no you put the probe on the mat itself so the mat will only get to what you want then you only put a thin layer of substrate ontop, mine burrows through the substrate and lays on the mat, but as my mat is only 30 oc its never been a problem

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Edited by - a33272 on 02/02/2010 18:21:32
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can put a piece of lino over the heat mat and seal that down with sealant, that way he cant get at it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  18:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is vital that, not only do you have a heatmat controlled by a stat....but you must also have a thermometer to ensure that the heat is correct, as the mat stat is not 100% reliable. You need to position the mat inside the viv so that it covers approx one third of the base. You can cover it with a bit of lino or seal it down with aquarium sealant. You then make sure the mat stat it touching the mat. Cover that part of the viv with a small layer of substrate and put the thermometer in the same position as the stat probe, but on a level with the substrate....if that makes sense. This way you can always be sure of what the substrate temp is in the viv, which is where Blaze will get most of his heat. It also ensures that the heatmat doesnt overheat.

Checkout the heat section of the caresheet - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

This topic is also helpful to read - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8056

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 02/02/2010 19:02:47
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  19:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must also make sure that the mat is securely fixed down so that the snake can not get under the mat. It also may be helpful to put the mat on top of some polystyrene so that the heat is directed back into the tank where it is needed.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  19:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

It is vital that, not only do you have a heatmat controlled by a stat....but you must also have a thermometer to ensure that the heat is correct, as the mat stat is not 100% reliable. You need to position the mat inside the viv so that it covers approx one third of the base. You can cover it with a bit of lino or seal it down with aquarium sealant. You then make sure the mat stat it touching the mat. Cover that part of the viv with a small layer of substrate and put the thermometer in the same position as the stat probe, but on a level with the substrate....if that makes sense. This way you can always be sure of what the substrate temp is in the viv, which is where Blaze will get most of his heat. It also ensures that the heatmat doesnt overheat.

cheers kellog, very helpful. when the time comes for him to move into a bigger home ive already got a stat on the heatmat. at the moment half the heat mat isnt under the viv, as its bigger than the floor space in his mini viv! so it will still do for a bigger viv. already got 2 thermometers 2!! 1 in each end of viv!
so, putting the thermometer directly above where the stat prob will be, but with a thin layer of aspen between them is best??
if i put lino ontop of the heat mat, will he still get enough heat from it? also, what can i use to keep the lino ontop of the mat? Obviously sellotape isnt an option, but sealants abit permanent aint it?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

........ but sealants abit permanent aint it?

Sealant should lift with a stanley blade. I think that silicon is removed from shower cubicles/baths with a stanley blade prior to resealing too.

If you do use a blade, you'll have to be careful with the mat, but you should have adequate space to be able to see what you're doing easily and avoid nicking any part of the mat/viv.

(with thanks to Gaz for the info )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  20:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

........ but sealants abit permanent aint it?

Sealant should lift with a stanley blade. I think that silicon is removed from shower cubicles/baths with a stanley blade prior to resealing too.

If you do use a blade, you'll have to be careful with the mat, but you should have adequate space to be able to see what you're doing easily and avoid nicking any part of the mat/viv.

(with thanks to Gaz for the info )

xxx

oooo, good idea! Suppose i could get a piece of lino that is bigger than the mat by about 2cm all way round, that way i wont knick it if i ever wana move it. Spose with it being sealed, cleaning would be easy as no cleaning stuff/liquid would come into contact with the heat mat!!

ooooo, i want to get his vivarium now!!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:16:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally put the probe above the thin layer of substrate above the heatmat, and rubber band the stat probe to the thermometer probe so you get an accurate reading of the temp where the snake is.

and i don't cover my mats with lino, polystyrene or anything as it insulates the heat away from the snake meaning the mat has to work harder to reach the desired temperature. a sheet of newspaper below the substrate, or using newspaper itselfas substrate, pinned down with heavy decor such as water bowls and hides is all i use for mine, and the stat means it won't get hot enough to hurt the snake even if they do manage to lie directly on it

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/02/2010 22:18:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000