New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  18:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guyes sorry ive not been around having mega computer issues . Im also having a mare fo a time with steve....im still a little nervious when handleing him but now everytime i do get him out he just wonts to run and man is he fast!!!!! He is in perfict health eats and drinks totally fine he has grown 3inchs since i got him and shed perfectly . Ive not droped him or been ruff in anyway with him and he has everything he needs . could he be stressed? am i doing some thing wrong . Any help or advice to help me out with this would be very greatley recived. Sum picks shud follow next week

***moved from Intros to General by GP***

Edited by - gingerpony on 01/02/2010 20:29:43

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:05:02  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hes probably just a happy snake that likes exploring but their is a health section where you may get more responses ;) sounds like your doing things right, what are the temps like?

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:14:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He may well be stressed, we could do with a little more information. Like ifc said,

What are his temps like?
How long have you had him?
Do you handle him regularly?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply . Temps are 83 at warm end coolend at76 sometimes it may drop a degree or 2 but no more . So you dont think it will hurt him if i handle him when he is zipping about ? Shud i just seal the room off and let him go fore it ?
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:38:50  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it wont hurt him if you handle him like it but just becareful, make sure you know where he is going, as for the zipping off the room i w oudnt suggest that because you may loose him but you could put a towel on your bed and let him roam about that, also as others have suggested, try him out at climbing the stairs (if he is big enough)

Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks dannybrown91. temps are 83 warm end 74-76 cool end ive had him 5 weeks and till 5 days ago he started this . I dont handle him everyday wed is feeding day so dont touch him tue till fri/sat so jus sat sun and mon
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  19:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
towel on the bed thing.... the second he is down he is across the bed and on the floor in 2or3 seconds . i hope he not stressed
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  20:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think hes just nervous at being held.. tbh you could probably hold him from saturday til the tuesday.. handle him for 10mins ideally each day you can hold him and eventually he will calm down..
because hes so quick i probably wouldnt let him loose just yet..keep working on him getting used to you and eventually he will be ok to let loose on the bed for a few mins

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  21:11:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm, hes probably just nervous. He will get better as he gets used to you and your smell. i would try to hold him everyday accept for 48 hours after feeding. You could even handle him for 5 - 10 mins before you feed.
Becarefull when you are handling him if hes zipping about trying to get away.

When i first got casper he would just try and get away, but after about a week he started trying to get away for the first 30 seconds or so and then slowed down and now after 3 and a half weeks worth of handling she has calmed down signifficantly although she can still be a bit of a handful as she is so active, just depends what time i pick her up. Of a day she tends to just wiggle about a bit and then fall asleep lol, of a night she is wiggling everywhere and tying knowts around my fingers hehe.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  23:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you definitely need to handle Steve more...and I dont mean for longer periods. I suggest you handle him every day you can, except for the 48hrs after feeding. Maybe even handle him twice a day, morning and evening. Only for 5 minutes and then return him to the viv. Dont let him out of your hands. He needs to get used to your smell and the feel of your hands. Just letting him 'go for it' is not a good idea because it is not getting him used to you at all, just releasing him into a wide open room that will probably scare him. You must try not to be nervous or stressed when you handle him. Before you go to pick him up fiddle with the substrate....that way it warns him that you are coming and also gets his smell on your hands. Then use slow and gentle movements to pick him up out of viv. I know he tries to escape but you must try and avoid quick movements trying to catch him. Once you have him in your hands just sit quietly and let him run through your hands from one to the other, again and again and again. You can slowly increase the handling time as he becomes less stressed and you become more confident. It is every early days at moment, it takes time for him to get used to you.

What size is his viv? Does he have 2 hides? Plants, logs, etc to hide behind? Substrate to burrow in? Am just wondering if he is stressed within viv from feeling exposed...

Hope that is of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  21:43:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the only other thing i can suggest is: is he getting fed enough?
when i first got my caramel she was rather feisty and rattley but was small for her age due to being on a maintenance diet with previous owners. i got her feeding right, didn't handle her at all really for a month or two (i don't have time to handle any of mine that much) and she chilled out and turned into a lovely snake to deal with

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000