Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but at least shes shedding..i know its not ideal having to help her shed but at least its a sign that shes growing and developing well
eventually im sure she will start shedding in bigger pieces - it may take her a while but she'll get there

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:56:04  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well....its not all bad its mainly come off in one piece but there is still a bit attached to her head and it lloks like her eyecapa have been retained just going to bath her and see what happens any ideas people

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:23:38  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news!!! A quick pop in the bath and the piece of skin peeled away with a little assistance from me the eyecaps have actually gone so it was nearly a perfect shed!!! It looked like she really enjoyed her bath too and now she is out playing on my other half. She is bright alert with loads of tongue flicking and showing no signs of stress whatsoever.

((lets out a very long held breath)

Thanks guys it was a lot easier knowing if the doo dah hit the fan I had you guys to fall back on

Cheers

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:24:53  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ps will take some pics in a minute she looks stunning!

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one mate.

Get some pics up dude.

When is she due a feed next? Do you know what she weighs?

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:51:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:53:38  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
beauty aint she and to think two months ago she was at deaths door. Saved mainly by advice filtered down from all you guys.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciated your help on this

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Good news!!! A quick pop in the bath and the piece of skin peeled away with a little assistance from me the eyecaps have actually gone so it was nearly a perfect shed!!! It looked like she really enjoyed her bath too and now she is out playing on my other half. She is bright alert with loads of tongue flicking and showing no signs of stress whatsoever.

((lets out a very long held breath)

Thanks guys it was a lot easier knowing if the doo dah hit the fan I had you guys to fall back on

Cheers

Steve

3 days with your breath held!!! You must be very blue in the face !! But it is such good news !

The fact that she shedded in almost one piece is quite amazing considering her last shed...I really expected it to be much worse. I know it must have been worrying to see that the retained shed was on her head and included her eyecaps, but it sounds as though you dealt with it perfectly.

It is so lovely thinking of her out playing with your OH....with the start she has had in life she is a real warrior princess to have bounced back with the special tlc you have given her. Well done !

ccc

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics mate. Youve done a good job.

She is really nice, shes gonna be a cracker.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:18:12  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog, Gaz. To be fair she did most of the hard work herself bless her (I have the skin to prove that) If i wasnt on sleeping tablets (got a damaged back so need sleepers to get to sleep at night) I wouldnt have slept a wink but I did and most of the night dreamed of snakes. The first thing I did this morning was go to her viv and check on her. Held my breath while we removed that piece of skin (which came of quite easily) and now i feel like partying all day hell i may even go get some beer in a minute. Getting that skin off in virtually one piece is a sign that she is more or less out of the woods now.

The best bit is she did it all with as little intervention from me as possible. All i had to do was put a larger waterbowl over the heatmat to raise humidity. No misting, no moss box. I wanted to give her the chance to suprise me and she has

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 03/02/2010 11:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is stunning Stephen! You posted the pics just as I was writing my comment.

Sorry to hear about your back...is it serious and can it be fixed? Although at least it meant you werent tossing and turning all night worrying about her .

You must be so relieved and it really does look as though she is coming right, which is amazing considering her start in life. I know you say that she did most of the hard work herself, but it only worked as well as it did cos you helped her with it...putting her in a stress-free environment, feeding her to give her energy, humidity to help the shedding...so a lot of it is down to you!

I dont blame you for feeling like partying...but would suggest you wait a few hours before cracking open that can !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:40:27  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ten years ago a disc prolapsed in my spine Kellog its unrepairable basically. I been offered an op to fix it but I have seen first hand the consequences when the same op went wrong (it left my freind in a wheelchair for life) so I said no thanks I will live with the pain. Just means I have to watch what I am doing and take a lot of painkillers. Its worst at night really. Anyway I have learned to live with it so I dont complain.

WHy should I wait a few hours Kellog? Is there a chance that there may be some some kind of shedding complication or because its too early in the day lol

Oh and she is due a feed tonight Gaz

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 03/02/2010 11:42:38
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am pleased she needed very little assistance..
great pics
shes stunning - looks so sparkly and new!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, let us know how the feed goes tonight mate. Bet she devours it! Stella loves a feed after shedding.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:50:52  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I measured the skin its 14.5" long. What does that convert too in actual snake length (just would like to know for my records and god I wish I had some scales)

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deduct about 10%, so 1.5" off that roughly.

So she is about 13" long mate.

I got my digi scales from argos, think they were about £13.00. They are really accurate.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Stephen and Xena, glad all went ok, she is looking really stunning now but then i would say that..lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad to hear that Xena had such a successful shed, I can fully understand your relief!!

She is a VERY pretty little snake, you are doing a grand job with her.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:27:10  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She a ringer for your steve aint she mom2

Thanks SB

Bout 13" gaz that aint bad she grown an inch since I have had her and she has put some weight on too.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 03/02/2010 12:29:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page