Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well its official Xena has gone into shed. Checked on her today and she is well pale and her eyes are completely clouded over bless her.
Given her shedding record I have my breath held and just about everything crossed (hope she sheds soon or extremities will start to go blue with her). As far as we know she has only shed once in her whole nine months and it was a terrible experience. Basically two layers of skin came off mainly in pieces whilst she was being bathed by the person that had her before me. Although I have to say she is a lot healthier and happier now so i am hoping this may have some baring on how she sheds. TBH given what she has been through in her short little life its nothing short of a miracle she is still with us.
I am going into town tomorrow to locate some moss and put in a moss box. In about ten mins another bigger water bowl is going in on the heatmat and in the morning I will start misting.
Question please oh fountain of knowledge...when misting do you mist the sides of the enclosure and avoid the substrate or mist the sub as well?
Sorry to be asking such daft questions but as some of you will know I took on a snake with problems and as colin has never given me any trouble I have never had to assist a shed before so I may be bombarding you with more stupid questions in the next coming days.
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  18:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope she behaves herself. I've had to remove Snickers from her viv the last two sheds so she would do what she was supposed to. She sits in the moisture cave with pieces of skin hanging loose and then when I take her out with a couple of her play toys, she begins to crawl in circles over them until the skin sheds.She sat there a week after the blue was gone until I took her out.[quote]Originally posted by elament

Edited by - n/a on 31/01/2010 18:08:38
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  19:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally dont spray but im guessing people just lightly spray all over?
have my fingers crossed that it goes well for her and that you can breathe again soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  19:15:25  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope it goes well for you and Xena. I have no experience with problem shedders either but will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  19:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe you litghtly mist the sides and try to avoid wetting the substrate.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:20:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is what i thought Danny but I just want to be sure

PS Thanks for the luck I think I am going to be needing it this is going to be one steep lurning curve which i have to learn quickly for her sake

I know its off topic but a freind of mine just called me because he knew I had colin (xena came as a suprise) He has just rescued another corn from an owner (paid £50 for the priviladge) who is about 4.5 feet long supposedly ten years old and has been living in a viv for god knows how long on a heatmat that didnt work with no stat no hides not even a thermometer and been fed a small adult once a month (obviously it is massively underweight by the sounds of it). How stupid are some people?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 31/01/2010 20:38:49
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with danny, i think you mist the sides, but im not %100 percent sure
i shall be keeping my fingers crossed all goes well for you and Xena

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 31/01/2010 20:32:37
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:50:32  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Best bit is this new poorly snake has gone pale today so my poor mate is going to go through what I am and as he is new to keeping corns is relying on me for advice so I got two sick shedding snakes on me case lol

Make that two bags of moss please pml

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2010 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Make that two bags of moss please pml

lol!

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  04:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mist Kellog and Silvesta's vivs once each morning, very lightly just aiming into the air, around the sides, on the plants. Must make sure it is not too much as dont want to cause RIs. When I mist it usually clouds up the glass for about a minute and then clears away and the viv dries very quickly. I never let the mist touch the snake, or aim at the substrate.

Am so sorry about the condition your mate's snake is in....and am so glad he has you to support him. Have you directed him in our direction?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  08:17:13  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly Kellog he does not have internet so is aiming all his questions at me so I may be asking questions for the both of us soon lol. I popping in to see him and this poorly snake today so I will keep you all updated

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  10:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly Kellog he does not have internet so is aiming all his questions at me so I may be asking questions for the both of us soon lol. I popping in to see him and this poorly snake today so I will keep you all updated

It is a shame he cant be in direct contact with us but at least he has a friend like you who can support him and his snake through this. May be worthwhile getting as much info as you can about it...length, weight, feeding schedule, viv set-up (you know the usual questions we ask!). Also try and get some pics, if that is ok with him, so those who are more experienced can judge what sort of shape he is in.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  12:48:38  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as I get a chance to get down to see it i will Kellog. Its all iced up here at the moment and I cant get to him so i am having to relay everything down the phone at the mo. He says that you cant see the backbone at the moment but apparently its middle body diameter is about the size of a ten pence piece. So far he has installed a stat replaced the heatmat but was unclear on temps and stuff but I have put him right on that so hopefully by today he will have the temps stabilized. The snake (its a she alegedly) is quite bright and alert still (remarkably) and I have advised him to put her on one medium mouse (given her size) every seven days for now until her digestive system is ready for bigger meals.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  12:52:53  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you moved the water bowl over i wouldnt mist as well,might make it a bit too humid,i would just stick with the water bowl in the warm end and maybe a moss hide,moving the water works for me every time

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  09:57:54  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well Xenas eyes have gone clear again and her colour is back to normal so I am expecting it to happen any day now. Couldnt get any moss (flippin Lowestoft is useless now) but I going to ask my rep dealer if he has some today (couldnt get hold of him yesterday) I have put a bigger water bowl right on the heatmat but I havent misted yet. I want to see if she will perform with the mimimum of fuss. I dont really want to interfere just yet until its nessesary to give her the chance of suprising me. Incidently we had her out last night and she seems totally unperterbed about the whole thing and is quite obviously a lot more chilled about it than i am. She even lifted her tail and christned the other half with her first outdoor turd. So for now I am going to carry on as normal and just put in a moss box (when i can get some flippin moss) and let her get on with it and see what happens. Looking at her last night I can easily see she is in a much better place now than she was when she shed last time so you never know.
I have heard on here that the shed can be anything from a couple of days to two weeks after they go clear. Is that correct? Colin usually dumps his skin about 5 days after he goes clear again and he usually sheds at night so as of yet I havent seen it happen yet. I am just wondering so I can get an idea of when I may have to step in if hasnt happened by then.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 02/02/2010 10:03:44
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  10:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve went into blue on the thursday by the monday his eyes had cleared and by the tuesday night he had shed. fingers crossed for you.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  10:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news to hear that Xena has come out of 'blue' and is preparing for her shed. Mine usually go for 4 to 5 days of being clear before shedding, and you just have to look for signs of them rubbing their heads against hide, wood, side of viv etc.

Think it is a very good idea to do minimum possible to help her shed at moment...last thing you want is an RI. After this shed you can get a better idea of whether she will need more help next time, and you can easily deal with any retained shed this time. I only mist with mine because I dont use a moss hide.

Love the fact she gave your OH the 'gift'!! Means all is functioning normally and good to hear she is so relaxed and laid back - even if you dont feel quite that way !

Any news on your mate's snake?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  11:15:20  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
no nothing yet kellog. TBH I bombarded him with info of things to do and I think it all went in but I have told him that if he needs me I am just on the end of the phone. To be fair he did have corns before and has a beardy so he will be familiar with all the equipment at least. Thing is at least he alreaady knew that snakes need a heat mat (that works) with a stat attached and he has a basic understanding of the nessesary and he knows that if he gets stuck then all he has to pick up the phone and ask and if i dont know the answer some of you guys probably will

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  22:33:08  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like Xena is shedding. I went to get her out tonight and noticed when i picked her up she wasnt happy being handled then I noticed a big flap of see through skin hanging off the back of her head so I put her straight back in and will let her get on with it till morning when I will assess if she needs help or not. Looks like its gonna come off in pieces again tho. (sighs)

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  04:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well it looks like Xena is shedding. I went to get her out tonight and noticed when i picked her up she wasnt happy being handled then I noticed a big flap of see through skin hanging off the back of her head so I put her straight back in and will let her get on with it till morning when I will assess if she needs help or not. Looks like its gonna come off in pieces again tho. (sighs)

I think that to expect a full clean shed first time was probably not going to happen Stephen....but hopefully her sheds will improve each time as her health improves. All you can do is wait and see what the result is in the morning, and know that you CAN deal with it. You are not alone in this...you have the forum to help.

Am sure you will keep us fully up-to date. I hope she is fully shed now (4.30 in morning) and you will come down to a viv full of bits of shed and a lovely shiny Xena! I do hope you have managed to sleep and not worried about her all night.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did it go Stephen? hope you haven't had too much trouble with Xena shedding?
Judith what you doing up at 4.30am.lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000