Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that he's active and exploring his new home!

Sounds like the shopkeeper is one of those people who should be vetted (no pun intended!) before being allowed to keep animals...

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  12:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're totally right, I think having to pass a test and get a license in order to keep, treat or sell animals would eradicate a lot of welfare problems.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  19:55:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG! that corn is sooo thin! to look that thin and be at 124g theres no way he's only 18 months old. I'm very inclined to think he's fully grown, or not far off :(

Please keep us all updated on how you get on with this guy, because as already said he should be a beautiful example of a miami and I really want to see this fella when he's back to full health :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  20:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

OMG! that corn is sooo thin! to look that thin and be at 124g theres no way he's only 18 months old. I'm very inclined to think he's fully grown, or not far off :(

Please keep us all updated on how you get on with this guy, because as already said he should be a beautiful example of a miami and I really want to see this fella when he's back to full health :D

Thanks for the comments eeji, I am now thinking we maybe got a bit of a bargain with this one...

However, I am VERY worried about how thin he is, I have no feeding record for him, or any other type of record for that matter, and he is sooo weak looking.

I don't know whether to wait to full week before feeding or just try him now to get something into him, I keep expecting him to keel over at any time.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  22:01:32  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
get some Reptoboost inside him, and try feeding rat fuzzys - this will be a smaller meal than trying a big mouse which will help get his stomach back up to size and rat will help get some weight on him.

If he takes the rat fuzzy, do the same after 5 days and if he eats again move up to a weaner rat every 5-7 days. You may find by using this method he might be a pain to get back onto mice, but his immediate health is more important so that is something to deal with when he's healthy again.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  23:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is exactly what I thought Eeji....Crockett is same length as Silvesta, who is supposedly about 3.5 yrs old....but is half his weight - scary! And I thought Silvesta was thin!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  07:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much eeji, you are great, was wondering about rats....

He has (according to the shop) only been on small mice, and his head is TINY- I would be concerned that rat fuzzies would be too big?

Are rat pups the equivalent of small mice? i am going past the decent shop today to pick up some more.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  10:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news!!

I decided to try and feed Croc yesterday on a rat pup,as per eeji and GP's advice, something nice and small and easy to digest. I have never seen a snake strike, eat and swallow so quickly, it over within 40 seconds. He must have been absolutely starving. He then whizzed around the viv for a full half hour looking for more, he obviously couldnt believe his luck.

The ridiculous thing is, the pup actually left a bulge in him... a 3 and a half foot snake. He will be fed every 5 days and weighed every 2 weeks to monitor weight gain (if there is any.)

I am dead chuffed, I was expecting him to be a non feeder tbh, so it came as a shock when he launched across the viv, jaws open wide!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  11:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news SB!

Sounds like he was starving! I think you're right to keep him on a 5 day schedule to start with, hopefully he'll be as eager to eat next time.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  11:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great news!

I would love to rescue a corn one day under similar circumstances, obviously its bad that they get into these situations in the first place. But it must feel great knowing that you are turning its life around.

Nice one!

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  12:46:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
excellent news! :D

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  12:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

excellent news! :D

Thanks for the advice eeji!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  21:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would it be worth giving him 2 next time as he spent so long looking for another rat pup, or would this be too much on his system? It certainly sounds like he was ready for it!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  21:32:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
in this particular case, with his unknown feeding history - but an obviously inadequate one judging by the state of poor little Croc - trying to establish a routine with smaller food items would be better than overloading his digestive system with a large meal, potentially causing a regurge

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  21:37:27  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
small meals more frequently is better than bigger meals with a snake this thin

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  21:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
("Feed Little And Often")

Hey!

Im SO glad that he is eating! I told Hubby about him and showed him the pics and he was furious! And pretty much ready to drive up north to find the shop!

Ive got my Thumbs crossed for this guy! But I know I dont need to- Hes going to be great with You!

xXx

EDIT: Im a Plank

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"

Edited by - n/a on 28/01/2010 21:50:49
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  21:52:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

("Feed Little And Often")

but you're thinking horses Skorps lol imagine splitting a snake's 'daily food' into 3 or 4 smaller meals............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2010 :  23:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I am definitely going to follow the advice of the wonderful GP and eeji combined, and feed him 1 pup every 5 days. I will most likely need advice as to when to increase either prey size or gap between meals, simply because I have never dealt with a snake this thin.

Mind you, have many people? Would be interesting to know.

Again, thanks so much for the kind and supportive words both for me and Little Croc, as he's now affectionately known, we really appreciate it. xxx

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  00:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's good to know for the future - if I had a snake that skinny I wouldn't be sure what to do!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2010 :  22:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went into Croc's viv this morning and was pleased to see poo!! (Sad!) Obviously everything is working ok, step 2 ticked off!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000