Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I went to a very well known but not very well thought of rep and aquatics shop with my rents because they needed some stuff for the reef fish tank. Me and mum went downstairs to look at the reptiles, and of course I shot off to the corn viv, where I saw the most pitiful looking tail protruding from a pile of much bigger corns. The big corns moved and revealed what I think is a Miami. It was so thin, and so listless that mum and dad bought it for me then and there.

All the assistant could tell us is that it is male, about a year and a half old and eats (???) small mice. He had retained shed on his tail, and I think he will lose the tip, but first we had to weigh and measure him. He is approximately 3 and a half feet long, and weighs.... 124g. The retained shed was removed with a soak in some water with reptoboost added, which has also been added to his water.

I cant decide whether he is full corn or not, as he has a teeny tiny head with mahoosive bug eyes- but could this be because he is malnourished? Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery, he seems to be a very sweet snake though he may become more lively when he is feeling better. You can see from the pictures that his spine is sticking up from his back, his skin sags on either side of his body and his neck is about as thick as a pencil.

Needless to say, I was absolutely fuming, but the owner is the sort of guy that wouldn't have let me have it had I of kicked off about it. He will be reported to the SSPCA in a few days, when he forgets I was there. There is a boa in there in a similar state, but its a shop pet and so cannot be bought. It needs help either way though, I'm just glad this chap is now with me...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor little bugger. It's a shame how some shops treat their reps!! they oughta be rounded up and shot.

He's a nice little snake though, and I'm 101% sure he'll make a recovery and live a happy life with you Rach.

Top marks.
Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:51:54  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poor thing! So glad its in safe hands. Good on the rents too! Love the rusty colour. Hope its a speedy recovery.

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  17:56:47  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gawgus little mite, hope he gets better soon!

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  18:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG!

The POOR BOY!

He looks more like a Toblerone then a Corn snake!

Looking at his pitiful state almost made me cry :(

Im SO glad that you rescued him :)

If your going to report the shop to SSPCA then you should take as many photos of him as possible incase they decide to take action
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  18:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was so angry the other day when I went to the pet store that I bought Snickers from and there was a little tiny corn in there either dead or soon to be dead. It looked so flat.
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Today I went to a very well known but not very well thought of rep and aquatics shop with my rents because they needed some stuff for the reef fish tank. Me and mum went downstairs to look at the reptiles, and of course I shot off to the corn viv, where I saw the most pitiful looking tail protruding from a pile of much bigger corns. The big corns moved and revealed what I think is a Miami. It was so thin, and so listless that mum and dad bought it for me then and there.

All the assistant could tell us is that it is male, about a year and a half old and eats (???) small mice. He had retained shed on his tail, and I think he will lose the tip, but first we had to weigh and measure him. He is approximately 3 and a half feet long, and weighs.... 124g. The retained shed was removed with a soak in some water with reptoboost added, which has also been added to his water.

I cant decide whether he is full corn or not, as he has a teeny tiny head with mahoosive bug eyes- but could this be because he is malnourished? Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery, he seems to be a very sweet snake though he may become more lively when he is feeling better. You can see from the pictures that his spine is sticking up from his back, his skin sags on either side of his body and his neck is about as thick as a pencil.

Needless to say, I was absolutely fuming, but the owner is the sort of guy that wouldn't have let me have it had I of kicked off about it. He will be reported to the SSPCA in a few days, when he forgets I was there. There is a boa in there in a similar state, but its a shop pet and so cannot be bought. It needs help either way though, I'm just glad this chap is now with me...

#

edited to remove the pictures

Edited by - HannahB on 23/01/2010 21:08:50
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  19:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

If your going to report the shop to SSPCA then you should take as many photos of him as possible incase they decide to take action
xXx

I have taken loads and saved them all for that very reason, plenty that show his spine as well. Hopefully they will take some action against him but I'm not holding my hopes up.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  21:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes such a sweet little thing
well done for giving him a loving home..
it might just be that hes so underweight but he looks almost like a hybrid of some sorts - his head is rather long and thin?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

it might just be that hes so underweight but he looks almost like a hybrid of some sorts - his head is rather long and thin?

That's what I was thinking, I dont know whether to put it down to malnourishment or not... he certainly has a strange little face!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  11:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes very thin, I have never seen a snake as bad as that. Shame too, thats a nice example of a miami.

He looks pure corn to me.

Edit - spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 24/01/2010 12:05:22
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  11:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks matty, I think he will be beautiful when/if he gets better, his red saddles are gorgeous.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  12:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done for spotting him SB. Poor little thing :( . Got my fingers crossed for you both. He's cute now but he's going to be great looking when he's back on form. Best of luck xxx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  12:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbsmog

Well done for spotting him SB. Poor little thing :( . Got my fingers crossed for you both. He's cute now but he's going to be great looking when he's back on form. Best of luck xxx

Thanks, he is sweetie.

I reported the shop this morning to the SSPCA, and was told they were dispatching an officer to go and "have a word". They also have my number and know I have a snake from the place, I have said they are welcome to come and see him if they need to.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  22:29:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Hes very thin, I have never seen a snake as bad as that. Shame too, thats a nice example of a miami.

He looks pure corn to me.

exactly what i was thinking matty - pure corn and VERY damn nice miami! i'd almost kill for one that good that you don't have to import from the States......

(ok, i WOULD actually kill if my ex stood in my way lol)

keep us posted hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  08:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is lovely to hear about you getting a new snake () but I am so sorry about the circumstances that you got him. Well done Rach, and well done your parents!! I am so glad you have reported the Shop to the SSPCA - I definitely think it is something you should keep on top of and maybe even get your folks to make a statement as they saw the state of the place as well. Do you have any other 'reptile friends' who could pop in for a browse...but really scope the place out? The more info got on them the better and the more pressure that can be brought onto the SSPCA to do something about it. How they cant considering what you saw I just dont know, but I also do know that often they dont.

He is so long and so thin - as long as Silvesta but half his weight .

His colours really are stunning and if you look past his sorry state then he is going to be a gorgeous snake with lots of your tlc (even GP is jealous so he must be good!!!)

You are the best person to handle this and you have the total support of the forum and GP at the end of an email if you need help. I am so glad he is now with you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  11:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

exactly what i was thinking matty - pure corn and VERY damn nice miami! i'd almost kill for one that good that you don't have to import from the States......

Really? I think he's kinda funny looking lol. Bless him.

He is settling in very nicely, was watching him climbing around the viv for about half an hour this morning, but its sad because he is skinnier than the thin Exo-terra vine.

GP- If you are wanting to get rid of any reptoboost I will be glad to have some, I could only get a little pot and buying Crockett cleared me out lol (ripoff merchants.)

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  22:36:50  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poor thing. So glad you noticed him and can give him a vastly improved quality of life. Hope that shop is put out of business and good homes found for all inmates

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  22:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor little guy... Well done for taking him home (although we all know you never could have left him!). Best of luck getting the gorgeous little boy healthier, we're sure he'll have a long and ahppy time with you

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2010 :  22:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kdlang- the shop has apparently already been reported a number of times due to the treatment of the animals- the shop also stocks fish and small mammals. Seemingly this has had no effect on the owner, he couldn't give a monkeys backside about the animals, just as long as he sells them.

Kizzig- of course I couldn't leave him, I was getting teary at the very thought. Mum gave me an ultimatum- the snake, or a pair of heels I'd been eyeing up. Tough choice!! Lovely mummy though, after seeing how upset I was she still bought me the shoes- and a matching clutch!

Little Croc is just gorgeous though, in a funny sort of way, I'm sure when he's older he will look every bit as lovely as he should.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  10:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that the shop owner gets everything that is coming to him after treating animals that way... He ought to be told to leave the trade and the shop should go for new management - someone who actually cares... It tears me apart to think that there are people out there who care more about the cash than the wellbeing of animals

How's the little guy settling into his new home? We're sure he'll come on leaps and bounds now he has a proper loving home. Bet he thinks he's arrived in The Ritz after his old home in the pet shop!

Oooh, shoes and handbag... Parents always know how to make you stop and think! However, yay mummy for the shoes and extra bag!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  11:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's been settling in just fantastically, I think the Reptoboost has worked its magic as he seems much more active, climbing all over the branches and nosing at the glass.

Unfortunately the guy who owns the store is a bad sort, on the few occasions I have been in there he has had friends in who are really rough and brutish, I really dont think he gives a damn.

And yes, lovely mummy!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page