Handling, LED lights harmful?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  14:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How intelligent are corns anyway? (I don't expect an IQ number here! :D)

I just ask cause it's very obvious if one of my snakes gets stressed while someone else is handling, but they calm right down as soon as I take hold again...

Obviously they don't have some sort of 'bond' to me like a dog or cat would, but are they smart enough to recognize my smell as a safe environment, etc? Or is it just less scary than something they don't recognize?

Random end of post question, LED lights aren't going to be harmful will they? I assume if a snake is looking at one and it's too bright they have the instincts to look away? I have some tiny decorative lights that are normally used with Water Gardens (don't give off heat, animal safe) that I wanna light up my viv with.

Thanks!

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  16:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think they percieve you as safe, just the lesser of two threats.

LED lights should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  05:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably recognises your smell and also you are probably more confident in your handling of your snake than anyone else is and therefore it doesnt pick up on any nervous/stress signals.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  16:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the snake probably knows it you because it knows your smell and you arnt so stressed when your holding it and the lights should be fine.

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2010 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a snakes IQ is probably comparible to that of a blunt pencil. They are creatures of instinct and its that instinct that keeps them going.
No doubt they have some degree of intelligence about them simply because thay are such a successful animal.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000