Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  18:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How hard would you say taking care of your corn snake is. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. And how much time does it take out of your week.

dean54321
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  19:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say a 3 or 4 farelly easy change water daily , spot ckeck and once every 5 days or more
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  19:41:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll say 3, and thats only because of the amount I have so takes more time - for only one (or a few) corns then a definate 1

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  19:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are very easy to care for, and when you have everything set up, it can take up as much or as little of your time as you want it to.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  20:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waters once a day.. monthly cleanout... daily handle for 10 mins, besides 48 hours after feeding and supervise them feeding for half an hour or so. and the daily spot check. Easeh! defo 1 from me, but that doesn't mean cutting corners.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2-3 for me. The most work I put in is changing the water and clearing out her mess. The rest of the time is spent in holding her and letting her crawl around.
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

How hard would you say taking care of your corn snake is. 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest. And how much time does it take out of your week.

Edited by - n/a on 20/01/2010 21:19:14
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:19:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would say a 1, its pretty easy really, get up every morning change the water, do a quick spot check and then around 5 oclock i get her out for 10 minutes, then again for another 5 - 10 mins before i go bed, which is usually between 1 and 2 oclock.

Where as with our japanese Akita, she needs feeding 3 times a day, water topping up around 6 times a day, after shes had her needles she will need 3, x 15 minute walks and when she reaches around 6 months old will need around 3 x 45 minute walks. Plus when there pups you have to clean up any mess and then theres the extensive training.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 - it's the easiest pet I've ever owned! She doesn't chew up and break her cage (unlike my gerbil) What other pet can you know exactly when they're going to eat, when they're going to poo? I think they're a genius pet and I wish I'd got a snake much earlier! They're awesome!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:03:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
defo a 1 easiest pet i have had

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:33:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would say 1 for me

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definate 1 for me too, They are the easiest pets I have ever had and could easily add a few more to my collection before it would go up to a 2 or 3

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 for sure!

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:55:14  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im going to say 1 for me

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  23:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

1 - it's the easiest pet I've ever owned! She doesn't chew up and break her cage (unlike my gerbil) What other pet can you know exactly when they're going to eat, when they're going to poo? I think they're a genius pet and I wish I'd got a snake much earlier! They're awesome!

zan x

What morph is your spaghetti? My sister has the same morph.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  02:20:04  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Khan is a 1 also. No walking over muddy fields, picky eating or worrying when they dont come home. Only downside is Khan likes to poop on the carpet in my office or in my hand.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  04:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think most of the time it depends on your snake and set up and how many you have and whether you have any problems.....

Obviously before you get your snake and are sorting out the setup, and immediately after getting your snake, the difficuly level is probably 5/6...just because you need to be sure to buying the right things, setting it up right, making sure it is running correctly, etc...

In everyday life then definitely a 1 or 2. All it takes daily is the water change and spot check. Handling is no chore, it is a pleasure. Feeding is easy usually and doesnt take that much time....and it is also a pleasure to watch. The monthly/6 weekly full clean of the viv is probably a 3, just cos you want to be thorough and replace all the substrate, disinfect etc.

The only time the difficulty level rises is if there are problems, like if you have a non-feeder in which case it is a definite 9/10, your snake gets mites 8/9....or other problems. And all these will obviously take up more of your time. But, while the chances of this happening are slim, they do need to be taken into account.

I think a lot also depends on how much you worry or whether you can stay calm and deal with anything that occurs. A worrier's difficulty level will be about 7, whereas someone who just gets on and deals with things more practically it would be a lower level. (Hope this is making sense....sorry if not, just blame it on my brain fog )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  06:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Think most of the time it depends on your snake and set up and how many you have and whether you have any problems.....

Obviously before you get your snake and are sorting out the setup, and immediately after getting your snake, the difficuly level is probably 5/6...just because you need to be sure to buying the right things, setting it up right, making sure it is running correctly, etc...

In everyday life then definitely a 1 or 2. All it takes daily is the water change and spot check. Handling is no chore, it is a pleasure. Feeding is easy usually and doesnt take that much time....and it is also a pleasure to watch. The monthly/6 weekly full clean of the viv is probably a 3, just cos you want to be thorough and replace all the substrate, disinfect etc.

The only time the difficulty level rises is if there are problems, like if you have a non-feeder in which case it is a definite 9/10, your snake gets mites 8/9....or other problems. And all these will obviously take up more of your time. But, while the chances of this happening are slim, they do need to be taken into account.

I think a lot also depends on how much you worry or whether you can stay calm and deal with anything that occurs. A worrier's difficulty level will be about 7, whereas someone who just gets on and deals with things more practically it would be a lower level. (Hope this is making sense....sorry if not, just blame it on my brain fog )

xxx

Ya totally. I can deffaintly relate to you. I was thinking the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  06:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with my feeding corns its easy..2 at the most - they feed well,handle great and do everything they need to do
with Aura the non feeder its a different story.. shes alive and well..if it wasnt for the fact that we know she hatched in august she could easily pass for a really recent hatchling - shes 4g's atm.. shes always out and about though but it is a worry not knowing if shes still going to be alive the next morning when i come downstairs.. plus im not handling her so thats frustrating! Aura gets a big 9 for the stress she causes me!!

and the royals - well as they arent feeding im giving them a 7..apart from that they are great - dont take up much time and when they are out and about they are cute to watch - especially when trying to burrow through a wooden viv..they get a 5

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  08:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say 1.

But they are as easy or as difficult as you want them to be.

I spend alot of time making notes, reading up, planning her feeds etc etc.

I also clean her out 3-4 times per week but thats optional i guess.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  10:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 or 2 from me also, deffo the easiest pet to look after ever.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  12:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Casper gets a 2, because of his size he can be tricky to get out the viv!
Mushu gets a 3, because she won't feed out this viv unless everything is perfect and is a bit more stroppy to handle.
Diego gets a 9 atm, because he hasn't fed since I got him and has mites again.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000