Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tails?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  13:58:45  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Boy or girl? Not important as /such/ but I would like to know what you think, as I may consider breeding from him/her when they're older.

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  14:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very inaccurate way of telling.

Females are supposed to have a shorter tail that tapers sooner than a male, but the only 99% sure way of telling is probing.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  14:08:37  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm I know, but still, like to know other's thoughts on the matter. I'd say she's a bit small to be probed?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  14:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we're going to bet on it...I'd say it's a female. It's rather short between the vent and the tip. Take it to your pet store and let them pop it. It seems young enough. I did that with Snickers because I thought she was a girl and my friend also thought she was a girl. When they popped her, she was indeed a girl. I'm going against the odds that say you can't tell by looking.As soon as you find out for sure let us know. I'm curious.
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Boy or girl? Not important as /such/ but I would like to know what you think, as I may consider breeding from him/her when they're older.

Edited by - n/a on 20/01/2010 14:52:14
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  14:53:34  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks GC c; I'll certainly try that. That's what I originally thought too, that she was a girl and she has been popped as one, but /not/ 99% sure so I am sticking to female for now.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  16:04:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah my moneys on girl Colins tail is a fair bit longer than that but dont take my word for it i no expert

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  16:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photo is from the wrong angle. You need to be looking at the underside of the tail, not the side.

And I would pop it at that size.

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  16:43:34  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks matty I'll try to get another uploaded soon. Am I right to be feeding 1 medium pink every five days? I always worry that she'll get fat and I won't notice

Edited by - Lilpunk on 20/01/2010 16:44:09
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  05:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supposedly the female's tail will taper very quickly from the vent and is much shorter than the tail of a male of similar age. The male's tail will be considerable longer and taper more gradually. The explanation for this is that male's have more reproductive equipment to store internally and therefore need the extra space in the tail. But obviously this is only of any help if you have a male and female of same age to compare !!

Another method is to count the scales that occur in pairs after the vent. Male corns have between 70 and 80 pairs of scales, while females have between 59 and 70 (so quite what it is if you count 70 pairs of scales I dont know ! Also, have you ever had your corn lie still enough for long enough for you to count its scales?? - which is why Matty is suggesting a photo, I would guess.)

As for worrying if she is getting overweight....you can tell when a snake is over weight if you can see skin spacing between the scales when your corn is relaxed (not when it is coiled up).

Think BlackEcho had a good diagram about overweight, normal and underweight snakes but cant find it. Something along the lines of....if you cut the corn in half ( ) then the cross section would look like a triangle if the snake is underweight, an arch if it is just right and a circle if it is overweight. Am not sure about this....so please wait for confirmation from those who are more experienced.

Lil, you know and handle Dimi all the time, I would think you would be able to tell if she was overweight....trust your instincts.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 21/01/2010 05:38:38
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  08:46:06  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thankyou kellog ^^ I always look forward to your thorough replies

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  12:36:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd guesstimate that its female from your photo :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:31:38  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd guesstimate it was fat or constipated from your photo!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:36:35  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fat? I don't think so, as her scales aren't stretched in any way, but it may be constipation... How can I ease that, with a luke warm bath?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there does seem to be quite a bulge in front of where i imagine the vent to be (as you can't actually see it from a side photo) which could either be fatty deposits or s/he just needs to 'go'......

a bath at around the same temp as the warm end of the viv (25-30*C) CHECKED WITH A THERMOMETER will often make them go....
make sure if you're using a sink or a bath that you block off the taps and the overflow to prevent escapes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:47:15  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I will try that, and if it turns out to be fatty deposits, then Dimi is going to be coming out for some army training

Edited by - Lilpunk on 22/01/2010 13:48:01
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  18:32:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she may just be due a big dump ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  19:14:38  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep, she was, but it wasn't big thank god lol I bathed her as I said I was going to, luckily she's due a shed soon, so hopefully it'll loosen her skin.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000