New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I need to wrap my heating pad in something. Or can i jsut leave it as it is. Because I have heard they get really hot and I dont want my place burning down lol.

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a thermostat to regulate it, or you could cook your snake long before your house burns down.

Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But do i need to wrap the heating pad even when i have a thermostat?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the heat mat going inside your Viv?

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tidus

But do i need to wrap the heating pad even when i have a thermostat?

I wouldn't think so as the stat will cut the mat out.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of us cover our heatmats with a piece of vinyl or a floor tile...as this means that the corn cannot lie directly on top of the mat. Then we use thinner substrate in the warm end than we do in the hot end.

As long as you are using a thermostat (and digital thermometers to ensure that the thermostat is working correctly) then the heat in the mat should be controlled and should not heat up enough to 'burn your place down', or, more importantly, burn your snake!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it depends what housing you are using..
if its for a faun or RUB then no as it will be on the outside of the housing, i have two heatmats inside wooden vivs and have put several layers of newspaper over it - the newspapers fit perfectly inside the viv with no need to fold over or anything

but like others have said a stat will stop it from overheating

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  19:01:34  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fascinating....well... I'm sitting here eating my apple sponge and custard thinking, surely, if you DON'T use say, lino or tiles of any sort, and you just use your heat mat and and say Aspen, you would have your stat set so that it would not go above the desired temperature anyway? So regardless of whether you use a tile or not you're setting teh stat so the reptile woudn;t ge hurt either way?

If you look at snakes in the wild, especialy the ones that live near urban areas, where they lay on roads, sides of roads etc, now I know there isn't a heat mat underneath the road, but it would get bloomin' hot on a sunny day, so the snakey would just move to a cooler basking area.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  19:07:18  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Fascinating....well... I'm sitting here eating my apple sponge and custard thinking, surely, if you DON'T use say, lino or tiles of any sort, and you just use your heat mat and and say Aspen, you would have your stat set so that it would not go above the desired temperature anyway? So regardless of whether you use a tile or not you're setting teh stat so the reptile woudn;t ge hurt either way?

i use a tile to save energy they hold heat for a long time

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  22:36:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use newspaper as substrate and just pin it down with heavy hides and decor to stop the snakes getting directly onto the heatmat. this doesn't always work as i have some very persistant individuals but like has already been said the thermostat prevents any overheating or injury so it's not a problem

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  23:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tidus, if you have a heat mat on a wooden surface it will not get hot enough to burn your house down.
If it's on the outside of a plastic tub/rub then you do not need to cover it at all, if it's on the inside, like everyone else has said, cover it with a bit of lino or newspaper, to keep your snake from getting too hot. Again this will not get hot enough to set anything on fire, especially if you are monitoring it with a stat.

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  23:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also meant to say how gorgeous is your snake! (Looks quite similar to mine lol!)

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  23:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have my mats stuck down, they each have a hide over the top and thats it. At the size they are, I don't see how a tile will help if they decide they want to get under the heat mat lol.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  00:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have vinyl tiles over one of my mats, the rest are just plonked down in the viv.
So long as the stats are set, then they wont get to hot, regardless of if you have anything over them or not.

The porcelan (sp) tiles to keep the heat for longer is a good idea though, plus it can spread the heat a bit more as well, allowing for the use of a slightly smaller mat.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  06:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

If you look at snakes in the wild, especialy the ones that live near urban areas, where they lay on roads, sides of roads etc, now I know there isn't a heat mat underneath the road, but it would get bloomin' hot on a sunny day, so the snakey would just move to a cooler basking area.

Your mind works very like my OH's LittleMick...he is always contrasting what we do for our corns in captivity to how it would be in the wild (like the heat drop at night rather than permanent heat). Only yesterday, after we had fed Silvesta, he said he didnt see the need to wait the 48hrs before handling cos in the wild they would be moving around and coming out of hiding to seek out heat.....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:24:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Only yesterday, after we had fed Silvesta, he said he didnt see the need to wait the 48hrs before handling cos in the wild they would be moving around and coming out of hiding to seek out heat.....

NOT true lol they'd hole-up somewhere safe that was about the right temperature and not move again till they'd digested their meal

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  00:04:13  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The porcelan (sp) tiles to keep the heat for longer is a good idea though, plus it can spread the heat a bit more as well, allowing for the use of a slightly smaller mat.

porcelan (sp) tiles? As in..... bathroom tile, they are porcelan aren't they? I must admit I do have carpet tiles in Elle's viv, but that was purey because I got rid of the wood chip and wanted a safe substrate. I might have to try the tile though, maybe in Elijahs viv when he upgrades.

quote:

Your mind works very like my OH's LittleMick...

Sounds like a top bloke, lmao. Mind you though I'd have to agree with GP on the 48hr thingy though. I know I don't like being bearhugged after a meal, lol, or after a few happy pops for that matter.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

tidus
Snake Mite

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  02:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was planning on putting my heat bad outside of the tank under it. would thi sbe fine to do? and jsut have the viv rest ontop of it

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  03:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

Only yesterday, after we had fed Silvesta, he said he didnt see the need to wait the 48hrs before handling cos in the wild they would be moving around and coming out of hiding to seek out heat.....

NOT true lol they'd hole-up somewhere safe that was about the right temperature and not move again till they'd digested their meal

Thats what I told him !!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000