Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:18:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

99% of the questions asked have answers right there on the forum care sheet.......
The site also has a "Search" button that no-one ever uses....

that is SOOOO true!

ALL the questions regarding, just as an example, shedding are all basically the same with the same answers.

the ONE exception to that in the last 18 months was a snake that was shedding and going straight in blue again, i actually found that very interesting and came up with the same theory as the vet they took the snake to.

so basically ALL the info is there to be found...........
the only exceptions i can see really are individual set-up questions but even then the very vast majority of queries have been responded to a hundred times over.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 19/01/2010 22:19:01
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:44:04  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i personally don't see why we need half a dozen people asking exactly the same question, all on active threads. i HAVE resorted to 'copy and paste' before but it's still a pain in the ass.

Lol, I love Ctrl + c or v. Not on this forum though, I'm not experienced enough, lol.

To cite another example, I know what the temps should be, now I thought I was having a prob with my thermostats/thermometers and posted asking if anyone else was experiencing the same issues, now that sort of question isn't in any book or caresheet but has now been resoloved thanks to members on here. But I had the basic info to start with.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:48:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
so that's covered by my 'individual set-up' bit above LM, that i CAN understand people asking questions about, once they've got a basic knowledge of the requirements and what they're trying to achieve, as everyone's set-up will be different.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:53:57  Show Profile
quote:

ALL the questions regarding, just as an example, shedding are all basically the same with the same answers.

the ONE exception to that in the last 18 months was a snake that was shedding and going straight in blue again, i actually found that very interesting and came up with the same theory as the vet they took the snake to.

so basically ALL the info is there to be found...........
the only exceptions i can see really are individual set-up questions but even then the very vast majority of queries have been responded to a hundred times over.
quote:

Ok then what should a person start a topic with that is a noob?
Should they all wait a couple of years till they no more about different aspects of Corn snakes before they post a question?
Personally I like to ask questions for different peoples views and also enjoy coming on the forum and seeing what members have put on basic to more advanced topics.
I would of thought the essence of coming on the forum is to swap information and enjoy doing it no matter how basic the question maybe.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  23:34:27  Show Profile
Its not how basic the questions are, its how often the same question is asked over and over again, with no sign of the OP having tried to find the answer on the care sheet or using the search function!!!!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  23:53:56  Show Profile
quote:

Its not how basic the questions are, its how often the same question is asked over and over again, with no sign of the OP having tried to find the answer on the care sheet or using the search function!!!!!
quote:

So what your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  23:56:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

quote:

quote:

So what your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

What are you getting at here? My opinions are also shared by a number of other regular users, if these things bother me, but not you, what is the problem?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  00:08:46  Show Profile
quote:

What are you getting at here? My opinions are also shared by a number of other regular users, if these things bother me, but not you, what is the problem?
quote:

What I am getting at is that maybe you should lighten up a bit and not be so bothered if someone puts a thread up about a subject that has all ready been posted by someone else.If its that annoying close the thread and tell them to use the search tab. That way you will get your point a cross.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  00:35:05  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
TBH, I think this topic should be deleted, I had absolutely no intention of causing any friction with in the forum. I feel really gutted now.

Sincere apologies
LM

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  05:53:18  Show Profile
Mick, you mustnt apologise because you had no idea your original thread would be hijacked in the way it has. What you posted was done with the thought of the best use of the site at heart, which is what you care about and I do agree about maybe using the whateverheading they were that you referred to (sorry, brain fog moment! ).

I can also see it from both points of view being made by Rich and by SB and GP. It is frustrating having to continually give the same info out in thread after thread, when it can easily be found on the care sheet and using the search button - which all newbies are directed to when they are welcomed .

BUT I also understand that because there is so much conflicting info out there and the paranoia of being a new corn owner who just wants to get it right...sometimes you need to 'hear it from the horses mouth' as it was. Especially where something like temps are concerned when other factors can be effecting them in the viv and also because of the bad advice given by pet shops about not needing stats and thermometers, or using lighting instead of heatmats. They then come on a forum like this, read conflicting advice to what they have been told or read elsewhere and need to ask for clarification.

I do agree with GP regarding some topics, like the shedding one. Most times the info is already there to find...unless it is a different situation as with the 2 sheds in such a short period, which I learnt from reading as well.

I do think this thread has become rather heated mainly because it is between older members who are constantly answering the same old questions and newbies who have those questions to ask....so what must be realised is that everyone is coming at it from a different perspective.

At the end of the day the forum IS here to help, offer advice and support....and answer questions. All we ask is that whoever posts the topic has tried to find out as much info using the tools we give them and then if they are still concerned ask their question.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  09:47:33  Show Profile
Can we not turn a post of each main topic e.g temps, substrate,feeding ect into a sticky at the of the page so then ppl about 2 post wil see them and hopefully get there answer without bothering anybody??

Edited by - n/a on 20/01/2010 09:48:27
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  10:46:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

TBH, I think this topic should be deleted, I had absolutely no intention of causing any friction with in the forum. I feel really gutted now.

Sincere apologies
LM

No need to apologise at all Mick, it wasn't your intention to start an argument.

As a long term member of this forum I feel my views are valid, but maybe they have been taken the wrong way.

My sole point was that members need to try and find the answer they are after from existing posts and the caresheet, before then making a new post. All archived topics and posts are bound to have many different opinions to mull over.

I agree that this thread should be locked, I wasn't expecting such resentment over my comments and I apologise if I have caused anyone any offense or upset.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  10:49:07  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

What I am getting at is that maybe you should lighten up a bit and not be so bothered if someone puts a thread up about a subject that has all ready been posted by someone else.If its that annoying close the thread and tell them to use the search tab. That way you will get your point a cross.

Many thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately I am not a mod or admin, so I cannot close or lock posts. On several occasions the use of the search button has been suggested, to no avail.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  18:41:12  Show Profile
To me it just felt as though you were trying to be little noobs for not using the search feature. Any how if I was a little to strong in my views I am also sorry to you Sexybear.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  18:42:24  Show Profile
quote:

To me it just felt as though you were trying to be little noobs for not using the search feature. Any how if I was a little to strong in my views I am also sorry to you Sexybear.

Group hugs all round!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  19:42:21  Show Profile
yeah

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  21:45:33  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address

Well one thing that atracted me to this forum was the friendliness, and the advice.

And my OP was in no way meant as a suggestion for people NOT to post for help, but merely ANOTHER aid for newcomers to find info they need. And like you said Rich, it's upto each individual member to decide whether they want to reply to it, but I daresay the forum wouldn't get much of a good rep if no one replied to basic questions.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  22:47:39  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage
no matter which forum you visit on ANY subject there are always people who ask questions that others may think basic or simple instead of using the search, often much to the annoyance of mods and other members (not on here though, i mean on places with stupid strict rules ;) ), but we all have to remember that everyone starts at the bottom knowing nothing.

I would much prefer to be either told the info i'm looking for or politely directed to where i can find it than get my head ripped off and told to use the search, without taking the P and having to be spoon fed info over and over.

.....and IMO the OPs original suggestion of anchors for the different care sheet sections is a good one simply because the TSC care sheet is very comprehensive so is quite long.

:D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2010 :  23:11:02  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Eeji for clarifying.
I think this next bit should explain better as well.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING LINK DOES NOT LEAD TO ANY TCS PAGE. IT LEADS TO A COPY OF THE CARESHEET WHICH IS HOSTED ON MY OWN SITE, AND CLICKING THIS LINK WILL IN NO WAY AFFECT THE REAL CORN SNAKE SITE IN ANY WAY.. ALL IMAGES AND LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED EXCEPT THE LINK I HAVE INCLUDED AS AN EXAMPLE USE OF ANCHOR POINTS. THIS LINK WILL BE DELETED AFTER 2 DAYS. DO NOT SAVE THIS LINK AS A FAVOURATE.

Right, ok, when you click on the link it will take you to a copy of the caresheet, there is an index of what is included in the caresheet. Now if you click on the "Heat" link it takes you directly to the Heat section. This could be done for all the sections. So not only do members have the complete caresheet to read through if they want, but now they can navigate to the section they want to read specifically.

link deleted as now expired

I hope that makes sense to everyone?

Kind regards
LM

***edited by GP at LM's request***

Edited by - gingerpony on 23/01/2010 12:57:31
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2010 :  13:14:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

and maybe if you want to know an answer to something you should LOOK for it?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000