Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  16:43:57  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
I was wondering if it might be possible to upgrade the caresheet a little. It seems as though alot of new comers are asking questions on stuff is included in the caresheet. Now, I don't know why hey can't find it but I was thinking it may be a good idea to maybe have a list of subtitles just below the Corn SNake Care Sheet subtitle but above the 4 images, that include anchors to the relavent sections?
Apologies if this intrudes on the skills and talents of the web designer. Just thought it would aid newcomers even more than members already do.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  19:00:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Its quite clearly labelled on the homepage, www.thecornsnake.co.uk :

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  19:10:56  Show Profile
think littlemick was referring to sections within the care sheet..temps, feeding, substrate, health ect...

is that what you meant Mick?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  19:17:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ah right, I'm with you.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  20:31:35  Show Profile
I didn't know you guys had a care sheet when i first came into this forum. I accidentally found the forum and thought i'd check it out. I don't know if it would help to change it. You still have to refer people to it.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:30:14  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Yeah sorry BE, thanks for putting me back on the right track Hannah, lol. I shoud have put my post more clearly.
So the visitor would click on the Caresheet button in the main nav bar. Then under those Photos but before the Common Name subtitle you could have like......

Decription
Things to consider......
Chossing your corn
Captive care
Heating
etc etc

And have hyperlinks linking to those anchor points further down the page so visitors end up right at the info they are looking for.
Just latey there seems to be a wave of members asking about temps and stuff, and although it is in the caresheet, it's about 3/4 down the page, and I wondering if it's because they just don't want to scroll through all the info....... I might be wrong, but if it helps?!?

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 17/01/2010 23:31:51
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:33:20  Show Profile
I read the care sheet a fair few times (and copied it) before I read any of the forum stuff... so I guess different people find things in different ways?

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:46:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Matts_Mum

I read the care sheet a fair few times (and copied it) before I read any of the forum stuff... so I guess different people find things in different ways?

I also read through the care sheet before i used the forum, infact i joined the forum the day i got my snake which was about a week after i first visited the site to look at the care sheet.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:34:12  Show Profile
I think the main problem is that people just dont read the info they are given or try to find the info for themselves . All newbies are directed to the care sheet and the topic regarding 'Your First Corn', as well as being told about the search option....yet as LittleMick has said we are constantly getting new topics asked about the same thing again and again.

I really dont know what the answer is .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 20/01/2010 05:34:21
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:21:09  Show Profile
quote:

I read through the care sheet several times- printed it off- again several times and had copies pretty much in every room/car/at work- and even one left at the Stables- just incase I wanted to check something- I also asked a few questions as well- for specific things that I couldnt find (BEFORE I found the Magic SEARCH button)

I think the problem is- and also as Ive found at work- There are not enough people who will actively LOOK for the information- because on a forum (and in Life in General) its easier to ask someone else- then find the information yourself- and I DO say that with first hand experience of working with the public everyday- who would rather call my County Council then try and find the answer...

No Offense to anyone at all- but we were having a pretty long discussion about this at work today.

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:38:03  Show Profile
quote:

when i first joined the forum, i read through the care sheet many times but still asked questions to get a more personalised response, am not sure how many other people do this though

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  19:54:31  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Damn! What have I started? I think maybe I should have PM'd this
I really do apolohgise, I didn't mean for this to turn into a big thing.
Anyway, when I did my research I bought a coupe of books that said basically the same thing, read, downloaded and printed lots of caresheets. I even came on this site with a pre buy list, lol, and got it commented on before I bought the equipment.
Anyway, this topic in no way slates the layout or anything, in fact out of all the forums I go to for my animals this one and all the siter sites I think are some of the best layed out ones.
But I think Matts_Mum, Kellog and Skorps hit the nail on the head. People just take info in in differnt ways, some just can't be bothered or struglle to read especially when there is lots of info to go through. I'm sure the webdesigner (whoever that is) knows what I mean about anchor links at the top. So it would be like a book, you have an index at the beginning leading you to the correct page.
So the anchor links lead you straight to the relavent section. So when newcomers and new keepers come on the reg members can lead them to the caresheet in general, then if someone asks something specific, when they go to the caresheet, instead of scrolling through lots of info they can go straight there by clicking the anchor link?!?!?
I dunno maybe I'll just keep my gob shut, lol
Is this making any sense to anyone? Or am I just talking poo poo?

LM

Edited by - LittleMick on 18/01/2010 19:59:06
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:30:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i think what you're trying to say is to make it simpler, more user-friendly

it REALLY does my head in repeating myself over and over and over and over again with the same basic info but like people have said, even if it's presented to you some people just won't take it in unless it's a 1:1 conversation/thread

so basically i don't know what the answer is

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  23:19:20  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
That's it GP. I suppose it doesn't matter how user friendly something is you'll still get peeps asling. Just thought in light of the questions being raised lately about temps and heating and such, and following those topics I saw only a few members pointing to the caresheet then alot of the topics were being answered with info that is already in the care sheet.
For those that don't know what anchors are try this, on the right hand sideclick on See also Chapter 4, it brings up the chapter 4 text to the top of the page, right in your face.

http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_link_locations

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  07:20:34  Show Profile
I agree, i think it is indeed easier to ask someone else, and I've seen it people buy the snakes THEN do their homework.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  14:25:14  Show Profile
i to referred to many sites before i bought my snake and finally joined this one as it seemed to be a good source of info i have asked a lot of questions on here as the info is sumwhat confusing for a newbie, i followed the care sheet on here and in the heating section it says:
One end should be around 30°C and the other around 21°C,but ive seen it on others as a strict 35*c now then i wrote a thread 5 days ago http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7777 some ppl were concerned with my temps (which are only 1*c above the the reccomended which rise and fall throughout the day by a degree or two)of the caresheet, but never the less i checked with you guys neway and nw the problem is sorted. I thought the whole point in this forum was ppl could ask questions even the obvious ones as there is a lot of info out there which contradicts the other so is really hard to find the right info in the first place.

sorry if this offends anyone not my wish at all you guys have helped me so much but i am trying to show that if sumone goes on the site with 35*c temps they r guna have a fried snakie in days which no1 wants to see so plz keep answering the obvious questions
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  14:40:25  Show Profile
TLT, I think what annoys the most active users on here is the fact that 99% of the questions asked have answers right there on the forum care sheet, and if people read it before posting then we wouldn't have to waste time answering each individual query.

The care sheet contains all the info that we would give ourselves, so its then a bit infuriating when someone comes on and says "but my friend does it this way, I got told by Joe Blogs to do it like this, my local pet shop says its ok" etc etc etc.

If everyone on here had a read of the care sheet before posting a new topic, this forum would be 10x less cluttered and 10x more user friendly.

The site also has a "Search" button that no-one ever uses, where you can find earlier posts regarding nearly every topic. Again, its annoying when people dont use it and post a new topic that has been discussed to death a hundred times already.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  15:23:25  Show Profile
quote:

No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!!
quote:

I see no problem in asking and answering any question on hear because even with a care sheet in place. Who ever is asking the question might want to hear of different ways of doing things depending on what situation has a risen. If you get fed up of giving the answer to noobs like myself don't post on it. If noobs did not post on hear you would have not a lot of new threads to read anyway IMO.

Edited by - n/a on 19/01/2010 15:25:59
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  20:18:02  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address
Just as an example I have 2 books on Corns snakes, here's a few clips from those 2 books and this site

Book 1 Cool Temps = 18-24c Warm Temps 24-28c
Book 2 Cool Temps = 21-27c Warm Temps 31-35c
TCS Cool Temps approx 21c Warm Temps approx 30

So which source do I go with? And I could buy another 10 books that will say different things. And visit another 10 forums that will say something else. So if a new member comes on here and asks what temps shoud I have, the regular will just state what is in the caresheet, or even point to the caresheet itself. So...... my OP isn't intended to have a moan at new members but to help them and to help keep the reposting to a minimum. When you think about it, TCS caresheet is the equivalent to a book, all I suggested was to add an index at the top of the book

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  21:10:28  Show Profile
quote:

Just as an example I have 2 books on Corns snakes, here's a few clips from those 2 books and this site

Book 1 Cool Temps = 18-24c Warm Temps 24-28c
Book 2 Cool Temps = 21-27c Warm Temps 31-35c
TCS Cool Temps approx 21c Warm Temps approx 30

So which source do I go with? And I could buy another 10 books that will say different things. And visit another 10 forums that will say something else. So if a new member comes on here and asks what temps shoud I have, the regular will just state what is in the caresheet, or even point to the care sheet itself. So...... my OP isn't intended to have a moan at new members but to help them and to help keep the reposting to a minimum. When you think about it, TCS caresheet is the equivalent to a book, all I suggested was to add an index at the top of the book
quote:

Im not disagreeing with you I am just pointing out that when questions are put up for Example: What temperature should my viv be at both ends? Yes they might know what it should be at but other factors might be affecting the question.Eg: Room temperature,Stacking Vivs,correct heat matt, and so on..

I take your points though

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:12:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

If you get fed up of giving the answer to noobs like myself don't post on it.

but then somebody that has grasped only half a concept gives their 'advice' based on that which could well be detrimental to the snake..........
if experienced keepers don't reply AGAIN then the correct advice might not get through to the OP.

i personally don't see why we need half a dozen people asking exactly the same question, all on active threads. i HAVE resorted to 'copy and paste' before but it's still a pain in the ass.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000